Apollo 13 Mission and Movie... Apollo missions ACR-FA-5 penlight WIP

Re: Apollo 13 Mission and Movie... A small collection

Cheers Stu,

Couldnt find the correct plantronics headset anywhere so made one using parts from a similar version, the main body is just wood. Found a close up pic of an original set and managed to reproduce the brand tag at the side. The repro wayfairers were under $10 on ebay, the alternate plantronics headset which was also a plantronics,was $5.

View attachment 59019 View attachment 59020 View attachment 59021 View attachment 59022 View attachment 59023

Have been lucky enough to find a couple of great items that were very cheap and add something special to the collection.

The first is a cap worn by certain members of the crew of the USS Iwo Jima during the famous recovery mission. The cap comes with no background other than it was owned by the sellers grandfather. Did a little research of past auctions of the Apollo crew caps and they matched perfectly, same vintage and maker and stitch design. Its in great condition and i was the only bidder at $49.00. Im waiting to hear back from the USS Iwo Jima historical society to get more background on the cap.

View attachment 59116 View attachment 59117 View attachment 59118

The second item i got is the autographs of all three Apollo mission astronauts for under $100. This item also came with no background with the seller claiming it came from a German estate sale. From the photos of the item it appeared all legit to me. I assume that many such envelopes would have been sent to nasa requesting the autographs of their heros and and returned with them. This has a period correct postage stamp and a dated rubber stamp from nasa.

View attachment 59119 View attachment 59120

Not an overly special item but one ive wanted for a long time is the AG-7 Space Pen. Got the clean version with no extra engraving to keep it correct to the 13 mission. Couldnt just keep it in the box so made it really part of the display.

View attachment 59121 View attachment 59122 View attachment 59123 View attachment 59124

View attachment 59125 View attachment 59126

This started out as wanting to just replicate the C02 scrubber but as its gone on, its become something id really like to focus on. Much prefer to make things than buy things and this gives a great opportunity to control both so i think i will be having some big auctions of bits of the other collections soon.

One of the best displays I've seen yet!
Simply awesome work Tim.
I'm a huge space nut as well and i'm really jealous right now.
Very cool.

Cracking good work on the DSKY panels. Where did you come across the graphics to base your builds upon?

Cheers,

I started looking on google images under Apollo DSKY and found a mass of stuff. The first was a picture of the actual Apollo 13 DSKY.

View attachment 59479

Theres heaps of different graphically reproduced sections of all the Apollo interiors that are freely available to download, they are large files that print out nicely, picked this one, which is a replica of the 13 one.

View attachment 59480

Found a great front on picture of the original 13 DSKY and just replaced the graphic representaion with the real one.

View attachment 59478

Cheers for that. When I get the spacesuit done, may give the panels a go.

set

Hi "Mr Webber" ... superb collection !

Re your signed items > I am an avid autograph collector [not so much now - as it's becoming increasingly difficult to obtain genuine signed items .... but, was very active many years ago !] and was extremely lucky to have made contact with a number of astronauts - before, the vast majority of them decided to stop signing things [Fred Haise being one of them !].

There are so many pre-printed items out there - especially space related .... and more so from NASA directly !!

For your reference [comparison] I attach a few examples of Fred Haise's signature [genuine] .... plus, a few other should you be interested.

Hopefully, the images will come thru' > if not, please follow this link :

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2204636846163.126658.1554642920&type=1

Cheers Dean [New Zealand]

Thanks for the input Dean.

Yeah, I normally wouldnt touch an autograph i didnt get myself but this ticked a couple of boxes and my final price was low enough to take a chance.
Heres a better picture of them.

View attachment 60312

The envelope seems vintage, the stamp seems genuine and the typing is for real as it has left the slightest of indentation. I really cant tell if the date and nasa stamp are real or printed. After looking more closely today, found some writng in pencil of the astronauts names, i used a very light eraser on a tiny part and it came off. The signitures are in the same order. Again, i cannot tell if they are 100% genuine
Heres a couple of close ups.

View attachment 60313 View attachment 60314

As this has no official background i decided to take a leap of educated faith and as i have no plans to ever sell it on, if it was a fake, i wouldnt be too shattered.

If theres anything more you can make out from the pictures Dean, i would love to know, or from anyone for that matter.

Can you explain why it has verb & noun on the panel ? It's not something i've seen before in computers.

Can you explain why it has verb & noun on the panel ? It's not something i've seen before in computers.

From goggle,

"Commands were entered numerically, as two-digit numbers: Verb, and Noun. Verb described the type of action to be performed and Noun specified which data was affected by the action specified by the Verb command".

Re: Apollo 13 Co2 Scrubber

The more accurate parts of this i can find the better and im waiting to hear back from a company that make professional and accurate Apollo space suits,
if i can get just the male, red hose connector part of the suit, then im in business.
View attachment 44011 View attachment 44012
I’ve seen one of these suits in person. If you haven’t been around real A7L Spacesuits, they look okay. But if you have, you realize they’re really not as good as they look in the photos. Those replicas really fall somewhere in the, “slightly advanced Halloween costume” or “good background for a TV series on a budget” categories. I saw one moments after seeing John Young’s Apollo 10 backup suit, and the difference was quite obvious. Sure, they are expensive and well-made, but they lack a lot of key detail I suppose they just couldn’t make. It’s more like a man-shaped bag as opposed to a pressurized flight suit. It also lacks the real helmet (the visored cloth-covered domes in the moon photos aren’t of the helmet at all. Those were just covers to protect the head from the light. Those and many parts of the suits were thrown out and left on the moon right before they left the surface. This is a good link from NASA that shows a lot of good info on space suits: http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/ILC-SpaceSuits-RevA.pdf
Started getting things together, have given up on using actual parts to make up the unit as i cant find them and the price would probably be restrictive. Replicating parts should be faily easy
You might be able to make a decent-looking version of the filter conversion, but not an exact one as you simply won’t find all those real NASA components within your lifetime. I drool every time I see that scene of them spilling all that stuff out of the box, knowing every bit of it is a replica.
Here are a few points I have to make on reading this thread:
Space collectors are an odd breed and they have infinitely deep pockets. You’ll never outbid a space collector on anything actually used in the Apollo program that is interesting at all. They also go after movie prop stuff because often that’s the only option you have for certain items.
The Kansas Cosmosphere does AMAZING work, but at equally amazing prices. They will make things for you, but you better have amazingly deep pockets.
A great deal of “real” items associated with the moon landings has been faked over the years. Just like German WW2 stuff, reproductions were being made almost as soon as the real event was over with. I’d say greater than 2/3rds of all NASA items you’ll see on eBay are fakes.

Here is a non prop Apollo 13 item you might find interesting. Its an award for the soundtrack given to James Horner and signed by Tom Hanks. I picked this up at auction a few years ago.
View attachment 76576

Thats a great piece Cameron, you dont see actual awards as part of a collection everyday, love it.

Thanks Mr Webber. Times are tough nd I might have to let it go :(

Re: Apollo 13 Mission "The Mailbox" FINISHED

That zany redhead.......Following on from tims thread on the DSKY guidence computer from the Apollo program, searched around and found some great reference material to put a replica together. It could be complex and powered or basic and more decorative but would be a great piece to go with the mailbox.

I was recently able to photograph a DSKY that flew on Apollo 12. I posted a bunch of pics over on tim's thread. http://www.therpf.com/f9/has-anyone-built-replica-dsky-apollo-guidance-computer-74054/index2.html

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back