Apollo 13 Mission and Movie... Apollo missions ACR-FA-5 penlight WIP

Mr Webber

Master Member
I would really like to make a replica of this icon of replication.
The ideal way would be to use actual period components from NASA and if thats not possible, scratch build all the bits.

According to the movie, the components used are 2 lithium hydroxide canisters, 2 LCG bags, red suit hoses, presumably two, grey duct tape,
flight plan cover and an old white sock.

Can anyone help with me tracking down these items, tape and sock aside.

The real one....

View attachment 42906 View attachment 42907

The movie version......

View attachment 42908 View attachment 42909 View attachment 42910

Last edited:
Re: Apollo 13 Co2 Scrubber

Here are pictures of the unmodified canister
lioh_canister1_600.jpg
lioh_canister1a_600.jpg

You can find more things on this page. LiOH Canister

Incredible info, thanks very much Conny, someone sniped me on the cannister but ive placed an order for another one.

If i cant get one, i can replicate one from the reference pics, thanks again.

I know its something that hasnt been done to death but any help on the remaining parts would be appreciated.

If possible, please PM me with any retail parts details.

Last edited:

THE real one is on display at Air and Space in DC.

...or at least it was in 1994 when I went there.

Thanks Mic, If i ever make it back to the States will have to check out the whole place.

Im tipping that the only true "hero" prop, wont be coming up for auction any time soon.

Last edited:

Came across the actual procedure......if you havent seen it already, here it is.

INTRODUCTION

This procedure, which takes approximately one hour to complete, will allow the fitting of a square Odyssey Command Module (CM) scrubber filter through the Aquarius Lunar Module’s (LM) round mounted filtration hole and will modify the Environmental Systems scrubber unit. The material is for astronauts to use when CO2 scrubbers fail in the CM, all CM filters are used or in other situations where additional scrubbing of CO2 is required. Crew Systems Division assembled and tested this information.

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT and MATERIALS

All required equipment is contained onboard within the Apollo 13 CM and LM.

Cover to the Apollo 13 flight plan (to cover and protect the hose entry)

2 lithium-hydroxide canisters

Roll of gray duct tape

2 LCG bags

2 hoses from the red suits

2 socks

1 bungee cord (to secure the modified filtration device to the wall of the LM)

PROCEEDURE - 19 steps

#1) Place the LCG bag over the top of the square lithium-hydroxide canister. The bag must be pulled down to just over the triangular ventilator slots on the side.

NOTE: Be careful not to rip the bag because there are only three bags onboard.

#2) Tear the duct tape down the middle lengthwise to double the linear length.

#3) Seal the bag to the square canister by wrapping the duct tape around the canister where the bag opening is.

NOTE: The tape must seal the opening to prevent leakage of air flow.

#4) Poke or cut a hole in the middle of the top of the covering bag approximately the diameter of the hose from the red suit.

#5) Insert the hose into the hole. Secure the hose connection into the LCG bag with duct tape.

#6) Cover the top of the LCG bag and hose attachment with the flight plan cover in an arch. The hose will stick out of one side of the arch.

#7) Attach the two sides of the cardboard flight plan cover that make contact with the square filter using a six inch long piece of duct tape over the top. This will prevent crushing the hose and air entry on the final mounting in step #19.

#8) Wrap the entire top sides of the filter cube with a three foot (about an arms length) piece of duct tape. Repeat wrapping on the bottom of the sides of the cube.

#9) Secure the bag with strips of duct tape two per side running from one side, under the bottom and back up the other side. Repeat on the other side. The bottom of the cube will resemble a tic tac toe board when this step is completed.

#10) Stuff the sock into the ventration hole in the center of the square scrubber. This will prevent the air from bypassing the filter. Cover the hole with a couple of pieces of tape to keep it from falling out.

#11) Repeat steps #3 through #10 for the second canister. This will be the replacement when the first filter becomes saturated.

#12) Open the sensor relief valve. This will normalize the pressure and allow you to attach the hose to the intake valve.

#13) Attach the free end of the hose to the scrubber intake.

#14) Attach the end of the bungee cord to the hook above the lithium canister mounting location on the bulkhead.

#15) Secure the canister to the bulkhead by hooking the other end of the bungee cord below the mounting location.

#16) Attach the crossover hose to the secondary air cleaner.

#17) Close the sensor relief valve opened in step 12.

#18) Set the CO2 select to secondary using the LM air cleaner selection switch on panel eleven.

#19) Engage the air cleaning scrubber fan by flipping the ACSF switch located on panel eleven.

VERIFICATION

Check the CO2 levels on the partial pressure (marked PART PRES C02) meter on panel eleven. The level should begin to fall (safe level of partial pressure is below eight (8)). Further verification will be indicated through the amber CO2 warning light set to illuminate if the level is above ten (10).

Reminder: CO2 levels above 15 can be fatal and will cause brain asphyxia, impaired judgment and blackouts

TROUBLESHOOTING

If the canister seals are not correct in steps #3, #5 and #8, CO2 cleaning may not be adequate. You will recognize this if you hear a whooshing sound when the system starts. Re-tape the seal that is leaking.

If the LCG bags get ripped air flow may leak out and fail to clean the CO2. Use the spare bag if this happens.

Much appreciated DB, thanks.
Some fascinating reading in there. It will be cool to have a mock one made up anyway to go with the scrubber as well as being part of it.

Good news and bad news for me.
The good news is that there are a couple of canisters from the 13 mission available, the bad news is that the cost is $2000-3000 each depending
on condition, not surprising really.

Ive asked the seller if there are any similar style canisters not directly involved in the space program available or even a damaged one, as it will be covered in plastic and tape anyway,
so waiting to hear back on that.
Hopefully i can get a result from that and not have to sell off some other parts of the collection to get an original canister

Was very happy to get an email saying that a slightly damaged cannister from the 13 program would be made available to me for considerably less than
an undamaged one.
All i need now is the appropriate hose connector. The same style hose i have leftover from my Doolittle helmet and can easily have the thin hose sock stitched up.
Im thinking of making it all around a plastic shell of the scrubber and displaying the actual cannister and a mock up flight manual as a finished product together.
Any other ideas?

wow I can't wait to see this one! I think its cool that you can even get the canisters! Does your contact sell any other official space bits?

Thanks BL,

I cant waiit to see it myself, you dont see a famous prop that has real historical significance everyday. You can find a link in contecs earlier post,
mainly urine collecting stuff unfortunately.

You realize that because this is such a cool idea from a great film, and becuase you have now introduced this idea, you are thus now OBLIGATED to ensure this prop replica comes to fruition.

So say the Brethren Of Elders of the RPF; it is the LAW - those that agree say "Aye!"...

;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back