Apollo 13 Mission and Movie... Apollo missions ACR-FA-5 penlight WIP

Re: Apollo 13 Co2 Scrubber Replica Project WIP

Here is the link for the cannistar dweaver,

FS: LiOH Canister

Nearly all the information i got on this project came from google by using as many releated parameters as i could think of and came across a few teacher/student projects like the one you describe, as they didnt help me much, i quickly moved on so cant give you links. Start your google search with "improvising a C02 scrubber" and you should get some results.
Tim.

Re: Apollo 13 Co2 Scrubber Replica Project WIP

Got nothing from the three people i contacted over a replica of the hose connector so put my own version together.

Took a long time to find an accurate elbow joiner but cutting it up and adding some stripped document protector and a couple of O rings was easy enough. Finished off with a two part spray pack auto paint and despite being on a PVC surface, came out fine.

Thanks again to imgill for the pic of the original.:cool

View attachment 48009 View attachment 48010 View attachment 48011 View attachment 48012 View attachment 48013

Re: Apollo 13 Mission "The Mailbox" FINISHED

That zany redhead.......Following on from tims thread on the DSKY guidence computer from the Apollo program,
http://www.therpf.com/f9/has-anyone-built-replica-dsky-apollo-guidance-computer-74054/, searched around and found some great reference material to put a replica together. It could be complex and powered or basic and more decorative but would be a great piece to go with the mailbox.

Hers a pic of the Apollo 13 unit,

View attachment 51453

and some other stuff i found,

View attachment 51456 View attachment 51457 View attachment 51458 View attachment 51459

A link to a site that sold an original a couple of years ago,
Apollo Guidance Computer: Original Display and Keyboard (DSKY) Unit.... (Total: 1 Items) Explorers: Space Exploration
For some reason the link doesnt give the sold price, it was nearly $51,000US.

Last edited:
Re: Apollo 13 Mission "The Mailbox" FINISHED Now for the DSKY Computer

Does anyone know any details about the headsets used by the crew, ground crew and replicated for the movie?

View attachment 51642 View attachment 51643

Ive come across reports that say they might be Plantronics brand but i cant find any examples. There seem to have been many replicated for the movie, has anybody seen them or know where any are available?, long shot but always worth asking.

Still needing some help on the headset if there is any.

On a side note, found a source for minilites on ebay if anyone is in need, they dont have the plug but everything else. Have wanted a set for a while, just have to decide either the Bond or Alien collection.

View attachment 51975

That scrubber display is seriously nice.

Thanks very much Marcus.
Im having a couple of Capricorn One mission patches made, whem they are done, will send you one.

It is a plantronics headset. I'll try to track down the # for you.

If you're in LA come by and we can put you in the accurate LM that is at Global Effects.

Really dig the display! Very iconic piece from an amazing movie.

Thanks Imgill and Mirax H, Im in Australia but will get back to L.A. some time i hope to see that, It brings home just unreal it was for three men to fit in there under such difficulties.

Was very excited to pick this up yesterday for a steal. It was listed as a cap from the USS IWO JIMA from the Apollo 13 recovery mission.

View attachment 52665 View attachment 52666 View attachment 52667

The listing came with no history but some good pics of the inside of the hat so i thougt id try and find something and came across an auction from a couple of years ago for the cap worn by back up mission commander John Young.

View attachment 52668 View attachment 52669

Apollo 13 Recovery Ship U.S.S. Iwo Jima Hat Directly from the Personal Collection of Backup Mission Commander John... (Total: 1 Items) Explorers: Space Exploration

The pics of the inside of the Young cap matched up with the interior pics of the ebay one so i thought that this was legit. I was waiting for some heavy bidding but was lucky enough to be the only bidder.
Still waiting to hear back from the seller about the history behind the cap if they know any but was hoping to get some feedback from the members here who are across such things.

Was working on something else with a member here when a tie in with a set of Apollo 13 id replicas became viable. After a lot of back and forth input, we came up with these accurate movie and mission photo id`s. The detail on them is superb with a seperately attached photo of the cast / mission crew.
The id clips are themselves custom made to match the same style used in the movie. Collecting NASA stuff is a very expensive business and out of my league so i have to be creative if the collection is to grow and with the very generous help of stromo (Stu), was able to add something very special. Many thanks

View attachment 58292View attachment 58293View attachment 58294View attachment 58295View attachment 58296

View attachment 58297View attachment 58298View attachment 58299View attachment 58300View attachment 58301

Re: Apollo 13 Mission and Movie... A small collection

Finished putting the DSKY mock up together and considering its mostly plywwod, cardboard and self tapping screws, came out great.
Was going to box skirt it but thought the raised, sectional look comes out better, like it was pulled from the original. Thinking of a little green backlighting maybe.
Just got the biggest toggle switches i could find and painted them up and placed on some rubber ends that came off some coathangers.

View attachment 58988 View attachment 58989 View attachment 58990 View attachment 58991

Just started on this one, just use the exact print and replace the screws, switches etc with real ones, half a rubber ball should pull off the gimbal nicely.

View attachment 58992

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back