Apollo 13 Mission and Movie... Apollo missions ACR-FA-5 penlight WIP

Re: Apollo 13 Co2 Scrubber

Thanks Imgill, i didnt have the second picture, great quality.
There is a third real photo of the 2nd scrubber in the upper hatch of the LM. I'll try to find the number and post it. I can also find a photo of the correct hose elbow. I used to own that original prop scrubber (not the one all taped together) along with a real one. Sold them many years ago.

Im all the way with LBJ on this one PHA.

Wow, thats big news Imgill, how did you come by those pieces? Those extra pictures will be very helpful if you can post them.

Here are those shots. First is a shot from LM7 (Apollo 13) of the scrubber in the upper hatch tunnel
Second is of a correct O2 elbow. (sorry about the focus)

Maybe I can help- I own one of the original scrubber props from the Apollo 13 movie. Its the one in the 3rd picture that Mr. Webber posted. The plastic bag is damaged, but its otherwise intact.

I also have one of the LEM Co2 scrubber canisters (the tubular one) from the film.

Both props are incredibly well made of metal and plastic and look absolutley real up close.

On a related note, you may want to contact the company that made the prop for the film (don't now if they sell to the public):
http://www.cosmo.org/re_replicate.htm

Mark

Last edited:

Thanks very much guys.

Great info Mark, any pictures you can post would also be a tremendous help.

Cool thread... I would never have thought to replicate this. Apollo 13 is one of my favorite movies...

Thanks guys.
General shots and any pictures around the hose connection area and especially the part of the flight plan they used on the top would be great thanks Mark

You guys--
I MADE ONE many years ago for an Apollo 13 party! It got somewhat fire damaged- in my house fire- but survived. I have to dig it out and post pics.
Looking forward to progress on this project- holds a special place in my heart!

Re: Apollo 13 Co2 Scrubber- GOT ONE!!!

Very cool project, and wow, so much reference material! How lucky.

That is a really cool piece you got there. I like that it looks like it's been in use and makes it look more legit.

I loved this scene in the movie where the engineers dumped out the bags and said "Here's what we got boys. Let's make a CO2 scrubber out of it." I have lived a good part of my life that way; when I don't have what I need, seeing what I've got and making do with that. I have accomplished much with that philosophy and I was glad to see it put on the screen. It is creativity at it's finest.

Steve

Obviously, the poster who started this thread should have first dibs on this offer, but if he didn't contact you about it, I'm interested!!

I'm trying to create this set up as an activity for a science outreach organization I work with. I came across this website and thread while I was researching how I could get detailed instructions and components to re-create the Apollo 13 CO2 scrubber. Or rather, set up a challenge where promising high school students are provided the parts, and have to do it themselves!

If anyone can help me with detailed instructions, or advice on acquiring any components, I'd be grateful!!!

Maybe I can help- I own one of the original scrubber props from the Apollo 13 movie. Its the one in the 3rd picture that Mr. Webber posted. The plastic bag is damaged, but its otherwise intact.

I also have one of the LEM Co2 scrubber canisters (the tubular one) from the film.

Both props are incredibly well made of metal and plastic and look absolutley real up close.

On a related note, you may want to contact the company that made the prop for the film (don't now if they sell to the public):
The Cosmosphere : Replication and Fabrication

Mark

I dont think Bradleyfett was selling his items, but if he is id love to hear from him.
I posted the actual procedure for assembling the unit on the first page if it helps. Will let you know where i got my canistar as soon as i have it in my hands.
Im pretty sure i got the last damaged one so it wont be cheap.

Started getting things together, have given up on using actual parts to make up the unit as i cant find them and the price would probably be restrictive. Replicating parts should be faily easy, already sprayed the left over Doolittle hose white and scounged some appropriate material for the hose sock. Ive found a elbow joint for the hose to unit that is almost identical, just needs the special red paint.

View attachment 46141

Re: Apollo 13 Co2 Scrubber. WIP

There are four different versions of this i had to choose from, the on the ground first version, the version fashioned by the flight crew, the movie version of the on the ground model and the movie version of the finished product, all have slight differences. Was always going to go for the real deal but needed an idea on how to display it all.

Its going to be based on this picture, with my scrubber mounted on a smallish backing board.

View attachment 46290

Was just gunna stick with a plain backing but when i went to get a drink, this jug just jumped out and with some minor mods and a larger partner will give some really cool and simple dressing. The black knobs can easily be moded to look really close to the real thing, they came off an old set of roof racks that have been doin nothin. I have seen a very similar style fabric mesh as used in the cabin in some raincoats and should work well.

View attachment 46291 View attachment 46292 View attachment 46293

Thanks to a tip off from a member here, thanks again, found a guy in Italy who makes accurate spacesuit parts from resin so very happy to add another accurate part to the project.

View attachment 46294

Any info would be great! On a side note, do you (or anyone else) have advice on making a similar system using easier-to-find/cheaper components? What/where would people use a CO2 scrubbing system these days? (outside of space contexts). I'd be just as happy to put together an analogous challenge for students..

I dont think Bradleyfett was selling his items, but if he is id love to hear from him.
I posted the actual procedure for assembling the unit on the first page if it helps. Will let you know where i got my canistar as soon as i have it in my hands.
Im pretty sure i got the last damaged one so it wont be cheap.

Started getting things together, have given up on using actual parts to make up the unit as i cant find them and the price would probably be restrictive. Replicating parts should be faily easy, already sprayed the left over Doolittle hose white and scounged some appropriate material for the hose sock. Ive found a elbow joint for the hose to unit that is almost identical, just needs the special red paint.

View attachment 46141

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back