Studio Scale TOS Enterprise(11.25 feet)

Commander Max

Sr Member
This is the big one. Not many models come bigger.
thebige.png

I've been working on this project for a while.
I thought you guys would like to see my progress.
enterprisedelivery.jpg

I'm building the Pilot and Production versions. I'm thinking about making them available as finished models. Kits wouldn't be very realistic.
dscn1958j.jpg

These bridges were printed, and still need finishing.
But you guys might want to see more. OK, here is some more.
dscn1963d.jpg

Deflector dishes in a row, SS, 66", 350 scale and 18". I printed the SS dish for reference, the final will be metal.
dscn1965r.jpg

Some of these parts should look familiar. Even the elusive pink Christmas bulb(well not that elusive). :lol
What I was very happy to find was the original gearmotor.
57319674.jpg

I can say the warp nacelles are very big.
dscn1796u.jpg

Very very big, the rectangular blocks are 1"-2"-3".
You want to know how I did them.
dscn1751c.jpg
dscn1746.jpg

They are particle board, milled to a base shape.
Covered with Bondo and milled again.
dscn1752c.jpg

dscn1759a.jpg

These are nearly finished, I just have to mill off the ends. The printed parts are placed for fit.
Want some more...
dscn1799s.jpg

Here is the neck, about half done.
dscn1798i.jpg

This is what the part looks like after a few hours of running.

Here is one half of the secondary hull.
dscn1714z.jpg

It's big, note the milled surface. It cleans up very quick.

dscn1619l.jpg

This is what people want to see. This is the upper saucer, it's done as a 1/4 negative mold to save time and space, the saucer would be about 5 feet in diameter, using traditional methods the molds would be monsters. The ship will be cast in fiberglass.
dscn1649c.jpg

The sensor bands proved to be problematic. They look great in the pic, but cleaning up the tooling marks were not going so well.
So I'm using an alternate method to save some time and headaches.
dscn1735y.jpg

I milled groves for the bands, so I can place a 3/8" round and fill in around it. After I've sanded the part smooth.

That's all for today.

You art truly insane and I envy you. I plan on doing the same thing when I retire in 2064. Which pilot version do you plan to build?

You gotta tell me you'll build me one of these. Please please please. Let me know a cost if you have any idea. And of course a timeframe. Thanks for making something so cool.

Clay

Thanks guys,

CD I've never seen that, thanks.
Funny thing I've never seen the original ship in person either.

I did have earlier go at the saucer. I did these in 20O8.
dscn0729e.jpg

dscn0738g.jpg

This is what made me realize I needed to do something different for the saucer. And I needed to make more room to construct such a model.

Trekman1017 I'm making the second pilot for myself. I designed both pilots so I could make either one.

Clay, sure I will make you one. I don't feel comfortable giving any particulars at this time. My goal is this year.
I started machining the parts in October.

That's amazing alright--now we've got two big "E" threads to drool over :) So, uh, where ya gonna put it when your done?

"You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting." --Spock

But not in this case! HOT DANG!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back