Studio Scale TOS Enterprise(11.25 feet)

Max, I'm a bugger for accuracy, but agree that sometimes it's better to finish out work left undone by the studio. Adding those details would make the display look far better, and displaying a plaque alongside it describing the shortcuts taken by the studio that you did not would be interesting to whoever was admiring your work. That's how I plan to display mine after I get it from you (wink wink)

Clay

That's a very good point that was brought up - I agree most people would not want their model to be exactly like the studio model because of flaws or details added for strictly technical reasons. The 11-ft. Enterprise with its unfinished left side is a perfect example, as are many Star Wars ships with their missing glass windows, or the TIE Bomber with no cockpit detail and wires showing through the cockpit frames.

And Feek61 thanks for those clips from Miri - they illustrate your point well and also confirm that they also tried the colored lights on the bottom of the dish as well, at least for a time. You are right, changing the light bulb is all they had to do (if they remembered or even cared - they had a schedule to keep). Still I think that using reversed decals to hide the fact that the only one side was finished was a brilliant attempt.

I heard that rotating the "NCC-1701" on the lower right saucer was one of the last changes they did in 1966 as the Series began filming. It was originally upside-down when viewed from the front - the black and white publicity photos taken in 1966 document this. And the sky-blue colored dorsal was also a recent discovery for me. This is a fantastic thread, and a fantastic build - can't wait to see more . . .

Last edited:
The thing I do admire and love about the show is that given the limits of the available camera angles filming the miniature they used just about everyone they could with the finished side. Even in some shots you can see wires taped to the hull but like was previously said; you don't notice (unless of course you watch these episodes for 40 years and watch it frame-by-frame, lol).

I'm always amazed at what's hidden in plain sight.

Clay we will build yours out any way you want. We could even tape the wires on the side(I don't know what kind of tape they used). But I'm afraid it will be up to you to replace the tape when it looses it's stick:lol.

I guess they had the same idea when they made the Sulaco miniature from Aliens, the left side contained no details as they filmed it from one side.

I'm sure it was never finished. If you look at the model now the unfinished side does not have details that would have been there had both sides been finished at one time. Two things come to mind; the first being the forward side of the secondary hull that attaches the dish housing is not on the unfinished side. Also a biggie is the inside nacelle detail where it is cut into the side is not there. In other words it is a complete cylinder without the inboard details. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.

EDIT:
Here are photos of what I'm trying to say, lol
zzzz-3.jpg

The side should match what we are seeing on the bottom (that also matches the other side)

zzz-2.jpg

Found this image of the Enterprise as she looked before the conversion. Looks to me like both nacelles were completed originally ( inside details on both sides) . . . which would suggest that the model was symmetrically completed for the first pilot. She must have been ripped up big-time when they made the modifications and put in the lights. I suppose they knew she would never be shot showing that side so why fix up the damage done there, just fill it in and good enough.

ent42.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume it was painted to look like the other side.
It would be a lot of work to fill in that channel. Something I don't think they would do(it wouldn't be worth the time).

But it does show how they pulled off the illusion with paint.

I believe that dark area is just painted on; not actually recessed. They did the same thing when they renovated it last; as seen in the below photo.
s33.jpg

The front of the nacelles are wood but behind the pylon it's just rolled metal sheeting. The reason the other side always sags is due to the weight that the recessed area material added to that side. I have a ton of photos of the thing; I'll try to look through them for more insight. It's doubtful however that if it ever was recessed that they would have filled it.

EDIT: The Commander beat me to it, lol

Last edited:
I really wish that when they restore it again that they would actually restore it to the filming condition with the exterior wiring on the sides and such and not try to cover the unfinished side as best they can. I think it would be so interesting for most people to see the actual filming condition of the other side with the wires and such exposed and lights drilled through the dorsal and giant plugs hanging out of the back side of the nacelles. I know that will never happen but that's what I would do if I renovated her.

I see what you fellows mean. Didn’t think they would bother to paint it though if it were known that she would never be seen on camera from that direction. Still, I’m almost convinced you guys are correct except that how do you explain this image of her? What happened to the painted effect? I know originally the Smithsonian people cleaned her up when they got her, crafted some new nacelle caps, and sensor dish but why paint over the niche if it were there?

zzz-2.jpg

It seems odd to me.

Now as for how she looks today, well yes I can see the niche is indeed painted on but lord knows the fellow who did that kind of went overboard in other areas. His task was to fix her up and make the Enterprise presentable from all angles. After all, she was now a static display but one you would be walking around and looking at from all sides.

You guys might be right, but . . .

When it was originally put on display the entire ship was painted except for the top of the saucer (which still to this day has not been repainted since filming). They simply painted over that section with the base color. The IDIC page did have a great history of the Big E after its arrival at the Smithsonian.

From the old IDIC page: "According to Ed, the rest of the miniature was entirely repainted during the 1974 restoration." He goes on to say "I hope you understand that the model will never look the way it did 30+ years ago because it was repainted in 1974 without first documenting its original condition"

Last edited:
From the old IDIC page: "According to Ed, the rest of the miniature was entirely repainted during the 1974 restoration." He goes on to say "I hope you understand that the model will never look the way it did 30+ years ago because it was repainted in 1974 without first documenting its original condition"

Without that documentation or corroborating photographic evidence we can't really know for certain if there was a false niche painted on the nacelle starboard side during the ships actual filming life. I know such information really does not matter as far as the build here is concerned, but my curiosity is piqued by such matters . . . probably the rivet counter in me, LOL!

If you watch about 20 seconds into this video, you'll see something interesting propped up against the rear wall.

War of the Worlds TV Pilot, Part 2

pal_jefferies_l.jpg

Bet it's the original, and what's on the 11 footer now is a newer part made to accommodate the lighting.

This pilot was filmed in 1975. By that time the Enterprise had been at the NASM a year. So, this is NOT the nacelle currently on the model. I wonder where it is now?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back