G.I. Joe Firefly costume planning.

FrogmanStudio

Hello all!

Since growing up with the original cartoon, and the comics, I've always love G.I. Joe, especially the Cobra characters. The Cobra saboteur, Firefly, being my favorite. I've always loved the more unique camouflage patterns, like the Tiger Stripe pattern, and anything for urban or snow scape areas. Since winter is in full swing here in Rhode Island, I thought I'd start doing some research into a Firefly costume.

For those who need reference, I'm going towards the Sideshow version, but may consider other versions from the comics and especially the cartoon.

Sideshow Collectibles, Inc. - Firefly / 12 inch Figure

I've been attempting to try and find clothing matching, or close enough that can be altered. His jacket seems to have a built in hood, and his specific gray/white camo pattern seems VERY hard to find. I've looked on Amazon for a basic start, as well as various Army-Navy surplus stores that list things online. Things are either close, or VERY far off. Those with more experience in military dress (especially from watching the Predators costume thread discussion) would probably be of more help, something I'd greatly appreciate!

Currently in the research and shop around stage. The only thing I have already is the balaclava (which is all black, would also like to find a camo one that matches the rest), the weapons (go go Airsoft), and the boots.

Everything else I'm still looking up. I think the backpack is either a custom, or a version of an already existing pack, but I've not been able to find one that even comes close.

One of my friends had made that costume years ago, and what he did was get a T-shirt in the same print as the BDUs and cut it apart to create the hood that matches.

Hmm....it was some sort of Urban Tiger Stripe. Just the regular jacket and pants. Not sure if he found them at a local army surplus store or ordered them online. He was doing a different version than yours, since this was back in 2003. Way before the Sideshow figure. LOL! He based his off one of the comic book covers.

199_jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Ya its something I've looked at too, I don't mind going past the Sideshow design, I just like that one specifically.

There was one comic design that I liked, where his camo pattern was of solid rectangles and other geometric shapes. I've not been able to find a good shot of that yet, would love to do that one actually, but I'd probably have to print the pattern myself.

If you're going for the Sideshow look then I'd recommend looking at Russian camouflages since that's what it reminds me of the most. While Russian uniforms aren't as easy to get as the US stuff there are sites around that sell Russian cammies, it just requires a little searching.

Actually, looking a little more closely I'm not entirely certain that the pattern on Firefly's smock is Russian after all. There are little thin vertical stripes, reminiscent of the East German "rain" pattern that kind of throws things off but I'd definitely start with Russian camo patterns regardless. The Russians use a ton of different patterns, every branch of service and every branch within each service seem to use their own patterns so there's a lot to look at.

My fave Joe too. Good luck. He's an awesome design! I have to say that the action figure from 84 looks a lot cooler to me than the Sideshow. Something about the pattern of blacks and the brightness of the camo doesn't jibe for me.

I've considered doing Firefly a couple times but I always get distracted before getting around to it. I love the character as much as the costume.

The camo has given me some grief as well in trying to pin it down. For the original style Firefly I'm pretty sure that it's 'Subdued Urban Camo' from, oddly enough, the mid-80's. It's discontinued a lot of places but if you dig deep enough you can still find it. For the Sideshow version I'd have to agree that Soviet/Russian and Eastern European patterns would probably be my first guess.

I always had trouble finding the mask in a matching pattern and I'm kind of embarrased to admit that I never thought of just cutting up an extra jacket. I'm gonna to have to try that now. lol

I always had trouble finding the mask in a matching pattern and I'm kind of embarrased to admit that I never thought of just cutting up an extra jacket. I'm gonna to have to try that now. lol

It was actually a T-shirt my friend used, not the jacket material. Though, that might work as well, but would be a stiffer material to work with.

i dont know if this helps but if you look at the sideshow collectables firefly you will see its actually ww2 german army spliittermuster 31 camo [splinter pattern 1931] and i know this because i have a set of this and if you look really close you will see lots of gray / black vertical streaks in it called "strich" and these are supposed to be rain drops:rolleyes

Hey frogman have you seen the City Strike Firefly? He has a pretty awesome armor setup with a great mask to boot!:love

IMO this is one of the better looking versions, and has some practical parts like the magazine holders.

Last year we had the voice actors of DialTone, and Baroness show up. Larry Hama and some of the original design crew and story crew of G.I.Joe present.
Here's a shot of my Flint costume with Larry Hama. He said I was like looking at the character he'd created some near 30 years ago! He was a great man to meet, and an even better conversationalist!

A lot of costume goers go and greet fans, and the reaction fans give you are second to none. There are a ton of vendors, lots of things to look at. if you collect art of joe or transformers, chances are.. you`ll find it there.
Pretty awesome exclusives if you`re lucky enough to nab one. Sometimes IDW artists come out for the joe series and other things.. there are reps from Hasbro and contests. shoots ... it`s a pretty fun event.

LarryHamaandI.jpg

but the most touching moment... was this guy.. comes up to me and asks for my picture .. said I was his favorite, called me Flint. I told him to stay right there and not move.. I'll be right back. He asked where I was going.. I said to get the rest of the Joes.
This is the reason why I do it.
Flintmeetshishero.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back