Vintage Enterprise Kit from Japan - Holy Cow!

There was an excellent history of Starship Enterprise models in Trek magazine years ago. It's hard to tell but I'm looking to see if it has a propeller in it anywhere--it might be some of that stuff in the baggie with the small metal glue tube. From what I recall you attached the model to a thread or fishing line and it flew with a wind-up propeller located where the shuttle bay normally would be.

First time I've ever actually seen one of these!

Here's a pic of two of the KSN Midori Japan Trek kits: a lightable clear kit, and the propeller driven kit.

Several years ago I picked Toshio Okada's book "Lost Plastic Models" and it's a great reference for sci-fi kits that Japanese model companies made. It's written in 100% Japanese -- which I cannot read -- but the book is still very handy. Trade-paperback sized, 159 pages.

It's become a rather hard to locate book, but if anyone needs to hunt one down, it's ISBN number is ISBN4-7663-3268-7

Last edited:
Yeah,

I've heard about those Japan Enterprise kits with the propellers and wheels.

People say they're actually good presentations of the Ship once you get rid of the eccentric extras! :lol

Honestly, the best Japanese Enterprise kit I saw was a submersible, propeller-driven Refit Model. Some fellow shot underwater video of it moving through the water in a swimming pool. With the right backlight (or lack of it), it really does look like the 8-footer in the first 6 movies. Water is such a great element for models like this. It's such a naturally thick, viscous medium that you don't need fancy things like motorized, computer-controlled cameras. The models really do move through the water like semi-agile yachts!

P.S. -- Also saw an Enterprise-D submersible model but it just didn't impress me as much as the Refit Enterprise that I saw.

Trek magazine did an article on Star Trek kits in the 70s, and they mentioned the Japanese kits with the wheels and propellers. One had a wind up wheeled base that would roll across the floor! I had a poodle that would have loved that, though she would have torn it up playing with it :lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back