Fallout Glowing One ghoul WIP

Wes R

Legendary Member
Here's my first attempt at sculpting. I'm cheating a bit by using a plastic (10.00 shipped) skull and sculpty. The lower mandibles I'm making from a modified jaw from a 2nd skull that will be another necromorph eventually.
This is the Leaper type necromorph with the next one being the jawless slasher. I'm currently trying to work out a good armature/base for the neck/spine and part of the chest. There really isn't much art to go by and in fact this will be a hybrid of the early design art and in game stuff.

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

DSCN2026.jpg

The eyes need a lot more work but I think i'll be fine until i have to do the nose and figure out how to get it all together.

Last edited:
Re: First sculpt attempt: Dead Space necromorph

Would love to see this finished. I can just see this thing sitting there in the dark and then someone turns on the light and it's like BOOM right there.
Great work so far!

I have it sitting on the top of the PC facing the hallway where everyone goes past in the dark lol. Not sure how super accurate it will be but i'll do my best. So far coming up with the armature is the worst part. Plus i have to sculpt the spinal bits.

I'm plugging away slowly. Rolling sculpty by hand super thin makes you sore if you aren't used to it. I'm at the point now I have no choice but to figure out the armature/base. I'm also going to start the other one since its basically the same idea and i'm already rolling the materials.

I'm plugging away slowly. Rolling sculpty by hand super thin makes you sore if you aren't used to it. I'm at the point now I have no choice but to figure out the armature/base. I'm also going to start the other one since its basically the same idea and i'm already rolling the materials.

dude thats looking really awesome love dead space i was wondering how you got into making props and stuff i'm new to it and i was wonding if you had any tips.

No props at the moment. This project is kinda held up until i get a jig saw to cut some of the armature parts out.

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

I finally got more work done on the leaper. I've been side tracked with projects and playing DS1 and DS 2 lol. I'm really thinking of just sculpting the neck parts onto this dowel rod instead of the armature i made and then when i cast it i can build the shoulders and spine part as another half. I am going to do it as a kit so i can ship one to my friend for her Dead space collection. I'm actually going to leave patches of bone exposed as it's more interesting than the normal smooth skinned morph. Also really tempted to leave some details instead of having it super smooth like in the one image. I'm going to hit up youtube for some game play scenes so i can find more reference images but most are of slashers.

Not yet. I'm still layering it and adding to it. Then I'll smooth it and hit it with the heat gun. I'm going to make a mold of it so i'm not to worried about it surviving for long, plus i can reuse the skull. Once that's done i'm going to do the parts for the mouth. I wish i'd known sculpting was this fun. I complained about having to do a class in it for art school lol.

This is gonna be icky! Good work!
I can't play scary games as i get really invested in the experience and scream like a girly.......

lol. My girlfriend hates Dead Space as it really bothers her for some reason. I know one reason but not the others. I was thinking of getting some brush on super glue and giving it a coat as it cures sculpty a bit before i put on the thicker layers for the more damaged areas. I am pretty sure i'm going to hire someone on here to paint it to look real though.

Minor update with no pics. I finally got the underside of the head done and am hopefully going to start the facial features such as the nose, lips, and torn flesh soon. I've left a lot of blemishes on the sculpt because frankly while the smooth and slimy look is okay in real life i think think it would look better with bone exposed and blemishes on the skin. The right eye is now slightly damaged looking for a slightly freaky effect (and the fact that after a half hour of trying to get it right i gave up) lol

Another small update. I hope to have some progress and photos this weekend. I gave up trying to totally make the nose from scratch and am cheating by making a fast resin copy of one off a mannequin that i'll glue on and sculpt over. Aside from that i really just have to finish the lips and the flaps of skin on the sides of the mouth. The fangs i'll do once i have the jaw and head cast so i can make them to scale better without having to worry about messing anything up. Sadly gonna be a while before i can get the RTV and resin I think.

I haven't quite got the nose ready yet so i fleshed out the cheeks a bit. As much as I liked the skeletal look it didn't fit with being any necromorph in the Dead Space universe yet. I also added some clay to the sides to represent the torn flesh and dangling flesh. Not happy with it yet so i'm hoping for feed back and ideas from on here. I also noticed that the sculpty cracks after a while like it is contracting for some reason. Might be the foam i used inside the head expanding and contracting slightly. I just go over it with new sculpty and it's good. I have to make the ears still and I'm thinking of maybe doing those seperately after I cure the head along with details like the tongue and such. I'm not sure how to get the texture of the torn flesh to look right either. My biggest worry is it will look cool but won't look like a necromorph. I can always try again with the mannequin head later one that i have.

DSCN0194.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg

DSCN0203.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0205.jpg

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

DSCN0209.jpg

Re: Dead Space necromorph sculpt UPdated, need help

Okay i need advice and or help. It just seems off to me and my friend, she's critical when it comes to all things Dead Space, but we're not sure what it's missing.

I'm thinking this guy might end up being a Fallout Universe ghoul until i am better at sculpting. The necros, or at least the Leaper, is a bit much for a beginner.

looks plenty disturbing to me. :thumbsup
How are you going to do his teeth? From the first few reference pics it looks like you could get away with reversing the bottom portion of the jaw. keep it up!

I ordered 2 of the skulls and cut the one spare lower jaw into pieces to make the mandibles and sculpted the other lower jaw over. I covered the upper teeth with sculpty and i'm thinking that might be why it doesn't look right. I'm thinking of mounting the other skull and trying again and turning this guy into something from a zombie film or Fallout as he really does look like a Ghoul.

Hard to say w/out the lower jaw in place, but to my decidedly untrained eye it seems the skull isn't elongated enough. If you look at the original pic the ear seems way further back than the avg. skull, ( behind the split flesh) so that would necessitate the skull being longer and flatter on top than the armature you're using.

My .02....your results may differ. :D Definitley don't give up though! I think it is a helluva start.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back