Painting tips needed

Larry Young

Master Member
I have an odd question; see if anyone's had experience with this specific set of variables.

I need to paint ~5 cu ft of steel with rattle-can Rustoleum and I don't have a fume hood, so I'm stuck doing it outside. Trouble is, it's 45 degrees. If I try to paint (with both steel and paint at room temp (roughly 70 degrees), is that going to cure correctly in bright and dry conditions, but cold-ass cold for San Francisco?

Or am I going to have to wait a couple months? :)

I do it all the time with rustoleum primers at 45 degrees and even colder. Just make sure your paint and surface are warm when you start and bring it inside when it's dry to the touch.

Most rattle can primers and paints like Rustoleum are laquers and will cure before the cold can affect them.

I've even left my paint outside when it got cold overnight and just warmed it up in a bucket of hot water. After a half hour it sprayed and cured without a problem.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back