full metal jacket 'joker' helmet

standardmoose

hi guys this is my first post so go easy lol
i'm lookin at making a rep of the full metal jacket helmet worn by joker, unfortunately i don't have the movie and all youtube videos have not been helpfull, i'm tryig to get as close to the movie prop as possible, so far i have the helmet, which is vietnam rep that i found in a sword/ anything sharp or projectile shop lol and i have ordered a camo helmet cover and peace badge, i also have a few blank bullets that are spot on reps for the movie ones but the main problem i am having is narrowing down the other objects on the helmet, there is of course the born to kill writing but then there are a few other items. on a movie props website they sell a replica of the helmet but it has a soft pack of matchs on it and some other small metal item, but all the other images i have seen of the helmet have somthing bigger such as a pack of cigs? does anyone know what exactly is on the helmet? and is it is matches or cigs, what brand are they ? thanks for your help guys look forward to hearing from you

I did this helmet last year, even the whole outfit. You'll need the black "inner tube" that was unique to Marines, as the Army had a green elastic band. Ignore the movie poster, go from the film.

You can get a quality helmet, etc. from here:
Protective Gear

web.jpg

web.jpg

cheers for the help guys, i've decided to make to movie poster helmet as i got hold of the dvd the other night and paid close attention to jokers helmet but its not as i imagined it, i prefer animal mothers helmet as thats the one with the ammo around the back, and slightyly tempted to that , but i''l try and post some pics up as i have the helmet cover and badge on the helmet at the moment and waiting for my innertube to come then i'll be cutting that up and putting in on

Last edited:
Don't know if this is any help, but the helmet cover on the poster is actually based on the 'Mitchell' pattern cover that was used for most of the wars duration.

If you wanted one that was more accurate to the poster, you could get one from Moore Militaria. These are the same guys that also supply the black inner tube bands used by the USMC to hold their covers tight onto their helmets.

Good luck with your helmet. It's such a great poster image.

Don't know if this is any help, but the helmet cover on the poster is actually based on the 'Mitchell' pattern cover that was used for most of the wars duration.

If you wanted one that was more accurate to the poster, you could get one from Moore Militaria. These are the same guys that also supply the black inner tube bands used by the USMC to hold their covers tight onto their helmets.

Good luck with your helmet. It's such a great poster image.

cheers for the help, i should have probably shopped around first before buying all my bits and pieces as that site would have been sorted everything lol i would just re order everything from them but just found i leaving the country and moving to the middle east, and i'm gonn have enought trouble explaining why i'm i have a helmet with 50 cal rounds strapped to it lol but cheers for the help mate

Cheers for the help, I should have probably shopped around first before buying all my bits and pieces as that site would have been sorted everything lol. I would just re-order everything from them but just found I'm leaving the country and moving to the Middle East, and I'm gonna have enough trouble explaining why I have a helmet with 50 cal rounds strapped to it lol. But cheers for the help mate.

FYI, the rounds strapped to the helmet in the poster aren't .50 cal rounds but more like 7.62x51 NATO rounds. It's standard practice to spread the load of the machine gun ammo (M60 back then but M249 & M240 now) through out the squad or platoon, the .50 wasn't something you normally humped the ammo for and not to mention that a .50 would be far too heavy to wear on your helmet.

FYI, the rounds strapped to the helmet in the poster aren't .50 cal rounds but more like 7.62x51 NATO rounds. It's standard practice to spread the load of the machine gun ammo (M60 back then but M249 & M240 now) through out the squad or platoon, the .50 wasn't something you normally humped the ammo for and not to mention that a .50 would be far too heavy to wear on your helmet.

yeah sorry about that, each time i talk to some one about it it keeps gettin stuck in my head thats its 50 cal , but i keep gettin corrected. i've already some inert 7.62MM FMJ rounds lying around which i'm gonna use as i have had a few people tell me this is what would have probably been used

well all done could do with some extra bullets and the correct ones, but i had 5 lying around from some previous prop work so i guess they will do. also cut a corner on the inner tube and just used a 12 inch bicycle inner tube off a kids bike and it fits the helmet like a glove, but since the whole thing cost me a total of about £6 i'm quite pleased with the final piece

well all done could do with some extra bullets and the correct ones, but i had 5 lying around from some previous prop work so i guess they will do. also cut a corner on the inner tube and just used a 12 inch bicycle inner tube off a kids bike and it fits the helmet like a glove, but since the whole thing cost me a total of about £6 i'm quite pleased with the final piece

Not too bad. If you're looking at eventually improving upon what you have I'd look into buying a Vietnam era 'leaf pattern' helmet cover, from what I can tell you have the more modern woodland pattern helmet cover. Good job otherwise.

Not too bad. If you're looking at eventually improving upon what you have I'd look into buying a Vietnam era 'leaf pattern' helmet cover, from what I can tell you have the more modern woodland pattern helmet cover. Good job otherwise.
yeah i couldn't find any of the vietnam ones here in england for a reasonable price, hence just the more modern one, i know its not the one curretnly used by the army but a outdated one i think it is supposed to be from the 90's? not sure, but thanks for the help and also the comments

Yeah, I couldn't find any of the Vietnam ones here in England for a reasonable price, hence just the more modern one. I know it.s not the one curretnly used by the army but a outdated one i think it is supposed to be from the 90's? not sure, but thanks for the help and also the comments.

The helmet cover you bought would be from around the late 70s up to around the end of the 80s. After that the US started transitioning to the PAGST kevlar helmets which a had a totally different shape from the old M1 steel pots; I don't think that a PAGST helmet cover would even fit an M1 and you certainly couldn't use an M1 cover on a PAGST.

The helmet cover you bought would be from around the late 70s up to around the end of the 80s. After that the US started transitioning to the PAGST kevlar helmets which a had a totally different shape from the old M1 steel pots; I don't think that a PAGST helmet cover would even fit an M1 and you certainly couldn't use an M1 cover on a PAGST.

the helmet cover i bought was for a 'PSGAT Fritz helmet' but the helmet i have is an m1(replica) the fit is very tight and had to be worked onto the helmet but there was no cutting or anything involved, from the outside the cover fits perfectly but the straps on the cover have no were to be attached on the inside to they are just tucked up inside the leather head lining but i think it does the job, albeit not an accurate design to the original helmet, anyone who was not a die hard fan of the movie wouldnt realise

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back