My first Iron Man Mk. III helmet complete!!! (Pic Heavy)

rustysprattdesigns

This was my first ever attempt at pepakura I started back in March 2010. The helmet file is from Dungbeetle. Any way, It sat in my garage until October 2010 when I decided to finish it for my 8 year old nephew.
I started out by applying two coats of resin to the outside to stiffen it somewhat. Next I applied to good coats of Rondo to the inside to harden everything up. After that was done, I used my Dremel to sand down the seams and make the surface more even. I then applied body filler in sections. It is easy to get overwhelmed if you just coat the entire thing. You can also lose proportions this way I think.
Followed by a ton of sanding, more filler, and more sanding. Next I used spot putty to fill in pin holes and small imperfections, sanded those areas and then used masking tape and reference photos to lay out the detail lines for the face plate and around the helmet. Using a fine sharpie I traced the lines and removed the tape. Next I used a couple of different needle files to carve the detail lines in the helmet.
I then shot the whole thing with several coats of high build eurothane primer to give it a good base to work on. Next... the color. I used two coats each of Krylon burgandy red, Rustoleum Metallic Gold, and Rustoleum crystal clear I got at Walmart.
After it had sat for a day or two, I put foam padding on the inside, painted the black accents in the cheeks and the mouth area which you can see in the video
http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/z...=Video0009.mp4
, and glued in some mirror lenses I took out of a three dollar pair of sun glasses I also found at Walmart. I didn't want to go with lighted eyes and such for a helmet being worn by an eight year old. He needed to be able to see when running around pretending to be Iron Man. I also made the helmet stand you see in the photos using plywood, a cut down two by four, and flat black paint. I hope you guys enjoy and please leave feedback, it is very much appreciated!

photos011.jpg

photos005.jpg

Photo0212.jpg

Photo0216.jpg

Photo0220.jpg

Photo0222.jpg

Photo0223.jpg

Photo0224.jpg

Photo0225.jpg

Photo0231.jpg

Photo0227.jpg

Photo0230.jpg

Photo0233.jpg

Photo0236.jpg

photos005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good job for your first helmet!
I bet your nephew is smiling big under that helmet.

you should be proud man :D

HOLY WOW! :eek

That puts my first, second, third, fourth, and fifth pepakura projects to shame. Way to go...and what better use than as a gift to a kid! Sometimes us big guys forget to have fun and just leave things to look pretty on shelves. You can bet that if you give it to a kid, it's going to get a few bumps and scrapes, but they'll only make it better!

Great job!

-Nick

Very good job for your first helmet!
I bet your nephew is smiling big under that helmet.

you should be proud man :D

HOLY WOW! :eek

That puts my first, second, third, fourth, and fifth pepakura projects to shame. Way to go...and what better use than as a gift to a kid! Sometimes us big guys forget to have fun and just leave things to look pretty on shelves. You can bet that if you give it to a kid, it's going to get a few bumps and scrapes, but they'll only make it better!

Great job!

-Nick

Thanks guys, I appreciate it alot. He was smiling quite a bit that night. We gave him three gifts. First one was an Iron Man activity book with a huge poster inside. Second was the helmet stand. When he opened it the look on his face was like, what the crap is this?! We told him it was to hang his hat on,lol! Then third, the helmet. As soon as he got the box open and dug the huge load of newspaper out his expression changed really quick He figured out soon after that it wasn't a hat hanger.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back