musketeer reference material/ newoutfit new pics! 4/28

Re: musketeer reference material

SK! That looks incredible! I plan to use both of you guys as reference material!

What brand of boots are those?

Our boots are from Museum Replicas, but it looks like they are only making synthetic leather boots now. It's really a shame as these boots are pretty good for the cash, just wish they made the soles more serviceable.

Kind regards,
Indy

Indy,

From what I am seeing on the net, I can't find tabards similar in color to yours or SK's, only the light blue color, did you have your custom made?

tyvm! :D

Yes, mine was entirely custom made from scratch (even the Fleur-de-Lis) on the cross was done by a local company as embroidered patches.

Kind regards,
Indy

I've always had the intention of carrying a musket as well. I found a place in Canada called Loyalist Arms that makes muskets and black powder weapons but it'll be a while before I carry one. My next step is to get a couple of working flintlocks I can use at the local fair here. Everything kind of went on hold with the period outfits to get some other costuming done.

For boots I might recommend CABoots Cowboy boots, custom made in El Paso Texas, the very best you can own. Cowboy Boots to Wear, Cowboy Boots to Admire.. They've been making boots for 4 generations. They can custom out what you need but already have a pretty good range of boots like what we're using. A bit on the higher end cost wise but really great boots that'll last a long time.

The tabard I got from a place online called Authentic Wardrobe linked here Home. They have a pretty cool selection of musketeer and pirate stuff on the site. They haven't updated in a while though. If you do order from them I would stay on top of your order. They had a really long turnaround for me. They're quality is really, really good though. Also not on the cheap end but you are paying for really good quality garb. Here's some of the stuff they have on there...

MusketeerSpreadB.jpg

musk14a.gif

MusKCap.gif

MusKLeu.gif

new_muskateer.jpg

Steve

Slings came into use around say 17th or 18th century. On the barrel there's a sling swivel and then on the trigger guard I believe there's a loop where the other end attaches.

Steve

for anyone else that is following or needs ref's Jean Louis Messonier has some great Musketeer/Cavalier paintings that are nice references.

Also dug up that they where toting flintlocks by the 1630's which makes things a tad easier, and clothing edicts to dress more plainly in that time make choices a little less brain wracking.

I am putting together two different types of doublet, on in crushed velevet and one in micro suede, i'll have to post up some pics tongiht.

I am seeing some good examples, but nothing really detailed yet, still searching images and trying to learn if there are more artists that did his style.

I have found some beautiful wall prints that I am going to buy though!

PL2_37.151_Fnt_BW.jpg

Hey if you'd like to see any of these reproduced as actual oil paintings, contact Patrice Mathey at repliquart@gmail.com. He offers genuine oil painting replicas for amazing prices (I have two hanging in my office):

library6.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Tres cool, M'seur Indy et M'seur Chevaliersilent!

Try your local Renaissance Faire. Authentic Wardrobes works several. Mine was given to me as a gift, but is from them, I believe from their "Man in the Iron Mask" series.

well after doing some research, I am kinda working on some stuff based on a couple of different patterns. I have put together the following so far, and am still working on stuff. turns out I am enjoying sewing doublets, and might turn a few of these loose on ebay or in the junkyard.

I made one from a mccalls pattern out of micro suede, with a black micro suede lining. It have detachable sleeves, and they are split for that open cassock look:

microsuede.jpg

Then I turned one out of Crushed Velvet, using a period 1630's doublet pattern. I used black sating for the liner, and buckram and thick linen for the interliner, belly cinch, and all. I sewed this one in panels then hand sewed it together....that takes forever! Turns out I misunderstood the sizing and its to snug on me. But I think it looks fantastic.

crushedvelevt.jpg

got a couple more, one in black with short waist skirts, and blacks embellised trim, and a country gaston look one that is a fake worn leather, with plain linen lining. But they are not complete yet.

I wanted to share an update on this outfit, been tweaking things and learning to dress like a 17th century Cavalier. have some stuff to work still, collars, cuffs, boot liners. but it's coming together, I have a pair of nice leather Bucket Boots, with Butterfly protectors coming fromthe UK.

So here I am with the human hair wig on and playing around with paint.net to try and make it look a little like Meissonier.

me_cavalier.jpg

Re: musketeer reference material/and how the costume is turning out

Dont just go buying a brown bess or any old flintlock ;)

Although the flintlock was conceived around the mid C17 many 'firelocks' were updated with dog-locks or wheel locks.
It took an absolute age for new technology to work its way into usage in any army and they needed to have a proven track record. For example. A rifled barrel had been in existence for at least a hundred years in the hands of the private man and even in some Militia before the Army took it on board.
Major Ferguson adapted a breech loading rifle in the 1770's from a design initially developed in the 1720's. Breech loading rifles were not taken on by any government for military usage until the Norwegians took up the Kammerlader in 1842.
I think I may have laboured the point a little :lol
Check this link out.
Matchlock Musket - English Civil War -17th Century

Thats the shape of stock you want to go for. What lock you have is up to you ;)

That one is jsut a place holder, I'm having a hard time finding a replica wheel or match lock that doesn't look like a toy or is prohibitively expensive.

May jsut blow the firearm off alltogether as you don't see many pictures or art work with them armed with anything but the sword/baldric.

Fantastic costumes, all of you! Gotta love a man in period clothing. :)

Indy, I have serious office envy!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back