Han Solos ANH-Hero Blaster buildup - from a MGC-Mauser, with real Hensoldt and

Centered barrel? I hope since that's how I made it.

centeredbblcopy.jpg

Here's what I have so far concerning the off center barrel.

I "think" the real gun barrel is off center as seen in the cross section drawing below. If so, screwing on a true centered bull barrel would make the barrel sit higher. The problem with the replica is getting it to look right. When turning the post it may not come out in the right place.

On my frame I had to off set the drill hole to get the barrel to sit correctly.

The "flat" bottom idea is interesting but I don't see any evidence of it in any of my production pics.

I will post my production pics following this.

I am looking forward to other views.

barrelcenterpost.jpg

some production pics for review. Sorry if they are repeated posts. I tried to enhance these for better detail but still not great. Anyone have HD versions? Maybe someone will see something I missed.
hanwgun.jpg

516771hansolo.jpg

53b82ccab606b3163e58761.jpg

45bf0eaaaf8ebed3d29fe8c.jpg
7aaca62b61806e1bd371900.jpg
17f0fa06bf93db8adad7a70.jpg
botomdetail.jpg

Barrels are generally screwed on the receivers so it makes sense that the bull barrel be centered on the receiver. I made the bull barrel diameter the same size as the upper receiver width.

I turned the receiver and left a post which then simply slides into the drilled hole in the bull barrel.

That's exactly how I made mine back in the day. I didn't have access to a machine shop so I had Russrep fabricate an aluminum blank for me which I drilled, tapped and mounted onto the Denix receiver. I made the angle cuts with a bench sander.

BlasterBullBarrellReceiversmall.jpg
BlasterBullBarrellDsmall.jpg

BlasterFinalSmall.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately none of the other reference pictures neither confirm nor deny the presence of the milled bottom. Because they are all at an angle where it is either not visible or the said area is hidden in a shadow. Only the One photo seems to carry any real evidence of it, but I also think the other photos support it in a way as well. Such as the possible muzzle height illusion and also why the muzzle looks centered at almost every other angle then directly from the side.

A Denix may also not be the best base to 'rule out' the presence of a detail such as this, they tend to run a bit on the unproportionate side. An MGC would be closer but what we really need is a real Mauser of the appropriate model and version to really prove or disprove it, measurement wise.

Lets move this discussion to a new thread, I don't want to hijack Lichtbringer's thread any further. :p

http://www.therpf.com/f9/anh-hero-dl-44-barrel-discussion-118186/

-Carson

With the new info we discovered in the thread, that was created after messing this one up :lol, i decided to overwork the barrel - once again. :rolleyes:D

I milled it

Bullbarrel001.jpg

until the underside was the same height as the receiver

Bullbarrel002.jpg

Then the barrel was put back in the lathe, to give it a 1° taper

Bullbarrel003.jpg

Now it was possible to strip the gun again, at least after dissassembling the Flashhider.

Bullbarrel004.jpg

Some pics with the new overworked barrel, from different views:

Bullbarrel010.jpg

Bullbarrel005.jpg

Bullbarrel009.jpg

Bullbarrel008.jpg

Bullbarrel011.jpg

One step closer to a accurate replica. :)

Yesterday i put some more work in this build.

With the kind help of a friend in the US, i was able to get these new parts:

Blaster007.jpg

The set of new wood grips was for this gun, off course. :cool

Testfitting them on different replicas showed how small the real grip is/was.
I´ve put them on a Denix:

ANH-Hero-Grips002.jpg

The Denix handle is way oversized.

And so is the MGC:

ANH-Hero-Grips001.jpg

But after some milling, filing and sanding the handles metal frame, i had the pieces matching to each other :love. Another thing i had to do was switching the direction of the screw/escutcheon, as it was factory-reversed to the prop:

ANH-Hero-Grips004.jpg

ANH-Hero-Grips005.jpg

My hands are not that big, but it feels pretty strange to hold this small handle, if you are used the oversized Denix/MGC handles.

I dissected two over the years, so YES it can be done pretty easily.
All you need is a variation of screwdrivers and a punch IIRC ;)

Markus

Last edited:
Necroposting aside, I still really like Michael's DL-44, especially his bull barrel (MAKE ME ONE TOO!!!), and how he added real wooden grips takes it over the top. How did this ever turn out, BTW? Is it still being tinkered with, or is it "finished", at least for now? I really wouldn't mind seeing some pics! The only thing I would adjust is that I think that the bull barrel contact point is a little further back that you put it, just a few millimeters or so. Other than that, it makes me HAPPY!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back