lighting solutions for a detolf display case?

razorsharp192

Sr Member
i've recently bought a detolf from ikea to display my stuff in, i've filled the first one up with helmets, i bought one of the lights they have that goes at the top, but the problem is, when i turn it on, the first helmet gets lit up (on the top shelf), but none of the other shelves below it get any light, has anyone else come up with any solutions for this? i'm thinking little leds in the top corners of each shelf, but all the wires might make it look a bit messy

the push on/off ones? i want it so it plugs into the wall, got the one on a remote plug at the mo, if i had to turn each one on/off each time, i'd never turn them on

those dioder's look quite good for lighting figures, but with helmets that almost touch the top of the shelves you'd just end up with the top of the helmet lit up

The strip ones fit the entire shelf diagonally, so they should light most of the helmet, Alternatively you could run them down the metal supports to light the helmets from the front.
The best thing is though, they dont give off any heat, so nothing will melt,warp etc.

Hi,you can uses the two metal parts that hold glass shelves for driving the current,then you can buy some leds,end put each shelf.
You put a AC-dc converter under the Detolf,then the + on th left mettalic bolt and - on the right,makes invisible electric wires .
After you just have to put a wire or metal bar and sold leds on it.
Will make very small light sources,can be directionnal or not demending on the leds you choose.

detolf.jpg

Last edited:
For the leds,juste use a simple rigid wire,or a brass tube for modelism.
Depending on your voltage and current,you will have to calculate how to put the leds,serial or parrallel,and how to calculate the additionnal resistances,but it's not hard.

For lightsabers we use 3,2-3,6 v leds,and most of them are 20-30mA,you can put 3 of each lik on the drawing,using a 3,6v DC source,and parrallel building for leds.

The easiest would be to choose luxeon type leds,and put one for each helmet.
The luxeon type leds are available in warm white,light angle is about 100 to 120°,perfect for such a use.
Just a single thin wire,led at center or at corner,and left-right from top to bottom.
For the wire you can find a electric cable wire colorless plastic part,to hide it.

well i've ended up going for an easy option, although one that looks good too (which is a bonus). i originally had 1 "Hopen" light in the middle of the "roof" of the cabinet which was just shining on top of the first helmet and block all the other shelves, so now... i've taken the 1 light off the middle, and put 4 in, 1 in each corner of the roof, so now the light goes down through all the shelves and lights up all the helmets pretty nicely :) all wired up to a remote plug too

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back