A Tale of Three Vaders

GINO

Sr Member
Slowly I've been working on finishing my 3 Vaders, one from each OT movie.
Haven't posted new pics in awhile so I thought I'd post some up now.

First up is my ANH belt with all original found part pieces. I tried to roughly match the angles in the pic but they are off and so it the scaling. Rest assured, they are most definitely correctly sized even if the photo gives the illusion that they are not.

beltboxes_new.jpg

Next is my ROTJ Vader. You don't see many people trying to finish up ROTJ style Vaders these days. ROTJ is still my second favorite of the three.
Cape is a mock up in the correct fabric. Leather collar is roughly put in place and the lining hasn't been put in yet. Helmet is still a DP stand in (people always ask). Also, the cod is in the construction stage so I blocked it out in the photo. It was a bit distracting. Still no cape hook installed in the armor yet. :unsure

rotj_vader_1.jpg

rotj_vader_2.jpg

Here is a comparison I did just for kicks. I was lucky enough to be in a position to spend a whole week at the SW Where Science Meets Imagination Exhibit while they were setting up. Some of the stuff I was able to discover was priceless and would never be able to be known without taking a hand-on trip through the archives.
Anyway, here is the comparison pic of my Vader, the original Vader on set of ROTJ, and the Vader from the exhibit which is 90% screen used ROTJ. I gave some pointers on how to properly re-dress the mannequin (since the people setting up the items were clueless) but there wasn't much one could do on that skeleton of a mannequin. You'd think that LFL would take a greater interest on how these iconic artifacts are displayed and labeled. Things were mislabeled and they didn't even care. I'm sure there are things in their archive (Vader related as well as others) that are packed away mislabeled from which movie they belong to and no one can tell the difference. Except me. :p Maybe a couple others too I suppose. :rolleyes

vader_compare_close.jpg

More pics coming soon. First new capes and robes. Then helmets.

Nice work Gino. Your attention to detail is most impressive.

What helmet will you end up with? I like the Elstree myself.

Joe

Thanks.
Hate the Elstree. It is a re-worked, over-cleaned-up, over-sharpened piece of unauthentic mess.
Any vader helmet looks half way decent when it's painted up, but for those wanting complete authenticity, the Elstree is not it.

Mine will be something else. ;)

The entire belt wasn't screen used (leather, boxes, buckle). No vader on exhibit has ever used a screen used belt for some reason.
Gloves weren't either.
Contrary to popular belief, there were fat ribbed vests and arms that were film used in jedi. Can't say for certain if these were one of them but it's possible.

Nice work Gino, impressive as always.

I agree with you that there are not many people doing ROTJ Vaders, one of the reasons I am in the process of finishing one myself and I am prud to have one of your chestboxes in said Vader.

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jul 22 2006, 02:28 AM) [snapback]1285574[/snapback]</div>
Thanks.
Hate the Elstree. It is a re-worked, over-cleaned-up, over-sharpened piece of unauthentic mess.
Any vader helmet looks half way decent when it's painted up, but for those wanting complete authenticity, the Elstree is not it.

Mine will be something else. ;)
[/b]

I disagree.

Firstly, I wouldn't put down the Elstree ROTJ when your helmet doesn't even compare to it. That's like you criticising a DJ ANH when you have a Rubies.

GinoROTJhelmcf1.jpg

Secondly, if you've seen the SW exhibit ROTJ Vader up close as I have, then you wouldn't be making inaccurate statements about the Elstree ROTJ as calling it a "re-worked, over-cleaned-up, over-sharpened piece of unauthentic mess".

Here are comparisons of the Elstree faceplate next to the same original ROTJ faceplate you saw at the exhibit...

ElstreevsSWtour.jpg

ElstreevsSWtour2.jpg

Thirdly, you say "mine with be something else". Well, that implies it will be better than an Elstree. We've not seen it, so that, again, putting down the Elstree without showing something better is just hot air.

And this reply is what I would give to anyone who would make similar statements about a Vader helmet which I believe do not hold water....it is not directed specifically at you, Gino.

Firstly, as I said in my post, the helmet pictured is a DP Deluxe (the same helmet I always use as a stand in).
Secondly, yes, it will be something better than the Elstree.
Thirdly, if you cannot see from your own comparison photos that the Elstree is sharper than the original helmet than you are blind.
Look at the cheek edges and the lower eye lid for starters. Don't even get me started on the dome. The whole thing is a wreck.

I actually think that the Elstree came from something earlier than the ROTJ helmet in the exhibit. Note the more ANH-style nail mark on Vader's left cheek on the Elstree compared to the more ROTJ-style mark on the exhibit helmet. The eyebrows seem off as well, but not like ESB or ANH. And there are details in the mouth that the exhibit faceplate lacks. But otherwise I don't think there's anything wrong with the shape or sharpness, and it's definitely derived from some kind of original. Even the way the top front cheek line executes itself toward the nose in terms of sharpness is dead on. The helmet itself is a different story but compared to screen shots I've not seen big departures from the original.
Looking forward to seeing your finished helmet. As always I have to compliment you on the overall presentation of your Vader....the proportions are always dead on....

I agree it has derived from some kind of original just like the DP Deluxe.
But is has been over sharpened and re-worked. No originals are that sharp from any movie. I've seen a good deal of original helmets and none have those crisp lines. No question in my mind that someone went sandpaper happy on the Elstree.
Also, you can see on the Elstree someone tried to recrate the "fat lip" ONLY seen on the clear plexi stunt version. I'm sure they were thinking it should be there when in fact it shouldn't.
Clearly, at some point someone set out to try to make a more authentic looking ROTJ helmet by trying to incorporate features like the fat lip and oversharpening. Why do people always think that sharper and crisper is more "correct". In so many instances, they couldn't be farther from the truth. That is the story of the Elstree.
The dome is so wide, you could hand onto it and jump out of an airplane. And that felt lining...

Just like you said there aren't huge departures from the originals on most fan made helmets including the Elstree and DP Deluxe. We're splitting hairs. But the accuracy is in the details and that's what we scrutinize.

Very nice....although that cod has gotta go. ;)

One thing that's noticeable....and maybe it's the way that you had dressed your mannequin...but your chest armor looks to be much longer in the front than the screen used Vader stuff. Perhaps it's because the chain is riding up over the neckline of the helmet due to no hook yet...gives the illusion of more length.

Either way, fantastic job.

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jul 22 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]1285588[/snapback]</div>
Contrary to popular belief, there were fat ribbed vests and arms that were film used in jedi. Can't say for certain if these were one of them but it's possible.
[/b]

:eek :eek :eek

What ?. Fat ribbed vests and arms ? I was always wondering where those funny looking suits like the one in London in 2000 came from ?. Were they stunt suits or anything else ?

Michael

Yep, the old cod is history.
The armor is the same, just not pushed back enough on the three comparison photo. It is better positioned in the first single shot. Also, the cape should be positioned lower but the cape hook is what holds it in place and mine doesn't have it yet.

If anyone wants to see an example of a fat ribbed suit, check out the promo card where luke is fighting vader in ROTJ.

Stunning as usual Gino :)

If you zoom in on a high-res version of that Vader on the Jedi set I think that you'll see the belt box corners are rounded. It's the only rounded Jedi boxes I've ever noticed though.

Looking forward to seeing your cod. (If you know what I mean.. :$ )

Jeremy

Actually, the belt boxes on ESB and ROTJ are identical and exactly the same. Slightly rounded corners. Only difference is the belt leather, the buckle, and how the buckle is attached.

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jul 22 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]1285666[/snapback]</div>
If anyone wants to see an example of a fat ribbed suit, check out the promo card where luke is fighting vader in ROTJ.
[/b]

The bad thing about storing stuff is that one doesn´t have instant access to it.

So, could please someone post a scan of this lobby card ? :D

Thanks,
Michael

NICE work as always Gino.

Michael, you're in luck. I scanned this press still a few years ago before my scanner broke down :unsure
http://ragamuffinpress.com/rpfalbum/Press-...ls/roj_8?full=1

There is a stack more of my scanned press stills and lobby cards here at Jakob's site:
http://ragamuffinpress.com/rpfalbum/

<div class='quotetop'>(ManfromNaboo @ Jul 22 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]1285680[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jul 22 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]1285666[/snapback]
[/b]

The bad thing about storing stuff is that one doesn´t have instant access to it.

So, could please someone post a scan of this lobby card ? :D

Thanks,
Michael
[/b][/quote]

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back