True Grit props?...

darthwhitey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A really great film!

One thing I noticed was Barry Pepper's pistol. Looked liked a Colt but had black grips with a gold or silver cloverleaf. Similar to the look of the "Hand of God" gun in 3:10 to Yuma.

Anybody else notice any cool props?

Brad

Excellent movie.

I imagine that Mattie's father's pistol would be the most obvious thing to recreate, but I actually liked Rooster's eye patch. It appeared to be leather instead of some sort of cloth.

A really great film!

One thing I noticed was Barry Pepper's pistol. Looked liked a Colt but had black grips with a gold or silver cloverleaf. Similar to the look of the "Hand of God" gun in 3:10 to Yuma.

Brad

From http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/True_Grit_(2010)

"Lucky" Ned Pepper (Barry Pepper) carries a Remington 1875 revolver with custom four-leaf clover emblem grips.

Rem1875-1.jpg

And yep, it was a fine retelling of the story! :thumbsup

Rob

Last edited:
Saw the movie and loved it. I've always had a heart for western revolvers, and this movie solidified my desire for a replica. Particularly Mattie's Dragoon.

Tg-dragoon.jpg

Here's a decent pic of her father's belongings, including the gun.

Tg-dragoon-2.jpg

Some possibilities in there. Anyone know where to get a decent replica of a dragoon?

Uberti makes some mighty nice replicas. They pop up on Gunbroker.com fairly often. There's a 3rd Model Dragoon (.44 cal) up right now for 275.00.

For my money I'd buy a real working replica over a non-firing. No FFL needed, can be shipper straight to your doorstep. Their conversion revolvers are pretty sweet also.

Uberti Dragoons and Uberti Pocket Revolvers

400 bones for a dragoon eh? Damn, I was hoping for something more in the $100 - $150 range. That one ghostsoldier posted looks allright, can't tell by the picture though. Nice to know the options are there though! Thanks

Uberti makes some mighty nice replicas. They pop up on Gunbroker.com fairly often. There's a 3rd Model Dragoon (.44 cal) up right now for 275.00.

For my money I'd buy a real working replica over a non-firing. No FFL needed, can be shipper straight to your doorstep. Their conversion revolvers are pretty sweet also.

Uberti Dragoons and Uberti Pocket Revolvers

Any idea which version Dragoon was used in the film?

Those uberti's are sweet!

That's the msrp.

Trust me you get for cheaper.

I understand wanting cheaper, now. Trust me if you save up & buy the real deal you'll like yourself a lot more when you're still firing it 20 plus years from now. Plus the patina that comes with real age and use will look a heck of a lot better than that "antiqued finish"

Keep in mind, if you are underage or your state, county and/or city prohibit real firearms, or are a reenactor (like me) and need a lot of different firearms in your collection, then the replica versions will work fine for most purposes.

I have a couple myself, made by Denix, and they are believable in the realest sense...you can't hardly tell them from my real Uberti Cattleman SA .45 LC...plus, they are a helluva lot cheaper to buy, especially if you need two of them, like Rooster! :cool
Rob

Last edited:
I guess it depends on whether you want them to be able to fire or not.

Me, not so much.. especially the black powder guns like the Dragoon or the "Navy Six".

I'm picking up a Ruger Vaquero with my tax refund, so that will fill my need for a SAA-type pistol (and not as twitchy as an actual SAA or clone). In the meantime, I just ordered a Denix M1851 Navy for about $65.

The 1851 doubles up, too.. Eastwood used one (with cartridge conversion) in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. And it makes for a good conversation piece. Now I need a plaque to hang it on the wall somewhere.

Same here. I've got the real SAA clone, but since I don't do any CAS (cowboy action shooting) anyway, carrying "fakes" while reenacting is the best deal for me; plus, it avoids any potential gun law conflicts, especially when I go out-of-state...and if one gets stolen, I'm only out 60 bucks or so! :lol
Rob

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back