The Definitive Darth Vader Timeline. Screen/Tour/Promo/Museum Displays: ANH/ESB/ROTJ

Re: The Definitive Darth Vader Timeline. Screen/Tour/Promo/Museum Displays: ANH/ESB/

I've always wondered about the story behind this Vader... origin and current whereabouts.

I read the following in a Interview with Joe::
It was made in 1976 by him for a Helloween party at ILM. It was done in Styrol over an Fibreglass-body that was useless fo other things. The helmet was based upon a german military toy helmet assembled with different model parts.
The helmet only survived, as during a house move in April 1978, the rest of the costume was damaged trough a heavy box. The Helmet went to bin after a few years of storing, 'cause it falls apart into pieces and Joe doesn't intend to save it for his waste destiny.

Re: The Definitive Darth Vader Timeline. Screen/Tour/Promo/Museum Displays: ANH/ESB/

Any updates to the Vader pics? Also Thanks for doing this.

Thanks for this compilation!
I'm curious about the last 3 pictures you posted, lambotour--are those supposed to be canon representations of Vader at some point in the story, or are they different outfits for exposition? Or are they fan photos?

Thanks for this compilation!
I'm curious about the last 3 pictures you posted, lambotour--are those supposed to be canon representations of Vader at some point in the story, or are they different outfits for exposition? Or are they fan photos?

They were pics taken of tour costume parts. They appear to be a mix of different tours components.

I'll be posting a few more pics of the ANH era tour in a bit. My friend Paul (DarthVaderV) has sent me a few rare shots to post. Stay tuned.....

Cool! I can't wait to see what come next. Thank you again

Regarding dates on some of the photos above -- the shot of Vader at the Emporium was shot on June 25, 1977 -- I've got a file photo of the same event with a date on the back. The photo of Vader with Tiger Beat mag, and the one of him in front of the Chinese Theater ticket booth, are both from the Sept 77 issue of Tiger Beat. Hope this helps.

Pete

I've always wondered about the story behind this Vader... origin and current whereabouts.

kd0tr9

Here's the full interview --

StarWars.com | The 1976 McQuarrie Vader Costume

Regarding dates on some of the photos above -- the shot of Vader at the Emporium was shot on June 25, 1977 -- I've got a file photo of the same event with a date on the back. The photo of Vader with Tiger Beat mag, and the one of him in front of the Chinese Theater ticket booth, are both from the Sept 77 issue of Tiger Beat. Hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks Pete for the info. I searched forever to try and get a date on that Tiger Beat mag, but had no luck in locating the cover as my guide. :thumbsup

Pete
They may have been shown in that September issue, but the state of the helmet suggests those pictures were taken prior to the repaint, so definitely prior to August 3, which was the date of the footprint ceremony, when the helmet was definitely repainted.

I have serious doubts that this is the screen suit. I like it, it has a good look to it, but things are a little off, like the beltbuckle, codpiece, gloves, helmet... meaning "dome"... I believe this may be the suit used for the ESB onesheet shoot.

I have serious doubts that this is the screen suit. I like it, it has a good look to it, but things are a little off, like the beltbuckle, codpiece, gloves, helmet... meaning "dome"... I believe this may be the suit used for the ESB onesheet shoot.
It likely is, making the helmet a Rick Baker mold cast. I've always had that picture saved along with the ESB poster helmet pictures, as the chest armor and belt box looks the same, as well as the positioning of the tunic over the armor.

What an awesome and informative thread. Will take me days to get through the information. Thanks!

This thread will go down as one of the best Vader ANH threads in the history of the RPF. :)

Can anyone shed some light on the John Mollo sketch? Is that the sketch Brian Muir worked from, or was it done after the costume was created? I've never seen it published before.

Quick question folks...and sorry for the slight derail.:cool

Does a larger version of this image exist? Really could use it if it does.

Thanks in advance,
David

Hey Vader people,

I came across this photo today and I wasn't sure if its of any interest. I found it in a blog where the blogger takes old photo albums she finds and uploads the photos. Because of the nature of the source, I had a feeling it might not have made its way here before.

2131234380_e2d3716e96_b.jpg

I wasn't sure where to post it, so sorry if this is off topic.

Great information thanks a lot

Christian

Had a mishap of deleting the wrong photobucket folder. Took a while to restore, as I'd renamed most of the files since then. All restored except for the Disney appearance pictures, which I simply couldn't find.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back