Painting a Han Solo in Carbonite

Obi Sean Kenobi

Hi all,

Recently acquired a Han Solo in carbonite.

It is unfinished, and I have some questions about what color(s) were used to paint the original.

I know MattMunson was working on one of these. Can anyone chime in and suggest rattlecan colors and weathering techniques, etc?

Reference pics?

Thanks in advance,
OSK

I've used Rustoleum Light Grey Primer for the panels.

The block itself appears to be a gun metal color. I'd suggest painting the whole thing with light grey primer, first, then with Testors Gun Metal Metalizer. The Han Section could be buffed along the edges to give it that metalic look seen in reference photos.

With that done, I'd spray the whole block with a clear coat (Rustoleum is good). That will seal the metalizer and prevent scratches.

By the way, the licensed version was completely sprayed with a dark, gun metal metalic paint and then with a clear coat. I've found some thing similiar in the European car section of Pep Boys. I wouldn't recommend using it, but it's an option.

Then why does the original look to be rather flat? I always thought that one of the things that made the illusive look so off was that they used a clear coat. I thought that kinda took away from the realism I saw on film and when I saw it in person.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back