My Boushh helmet weathered/ full costume pics added 9/08

AlderaanGirl

Please advice me as to whether I should weather my Boushh helmet more or not.

What I am really asking for advice on is, you see how the "real" one has a bunch of scratches on the leather. I was wondering if I should do the same to mine. To be honest, I am very hesitant in doing so and am totally unsure if I should even bother. Part of me is afraid of messing it up. That is why I am asking you your opinions. For a while now I have been going back and forth on this issue, never truly making my mind up.

Please let me know what you think. And if you think yes, how would you suggest going about it? I have some ideas, but I would love to hear yours.

Thanks in advance :) ......~ Lori

helmetscratch.jpg

Lori, you own a really nice bucket ...

For a realistic appearence, IMO the weathering necessary. It looks that the top brown part of your helmet has some scratches or weathering, too, so you should do the same with the leather part. Here a some Boushh-pics I took at the STAR WARS Expo in Paris, any closer pics of the helmet are in.

Screen used Boushh

Some sanding, scratches with a blunt object and perhaps a very little little little tip of shoe-creme will help. Try this at first on a seperate piece of leather to see how it comes.

Good luck,

Greets from Germany

I know what you mean about being hesitant to weathering props, I'm exactly the same. And as awesome lookin' as your helmet it, I always think it adds to the authenticity of the prop, if it looks used and worn. (As it is a bounty hunters helmet after all and itÂ’s one who live in the original star wars galaxy, so naturally it would be a bit beaten up and used).
At the end of the day do what you feel is right, if you're comfortable with giving the weathering a go, do it. I'm sure you'll have lots of tips and support here, plus if you do go wrong, look at it this way...it's weathering anyway so there really is no such thing as going wrong.

If you have some spare leather, I'd definitely recommend you trying it on that first, give it a go, see how it looks and build up your confidence into doing it on the real thing.

Well whatever you decide Lori, you have an admirable costume and best of luck in what you decide.

Honestly, the first thing I would do is go watch the movie again. Depending on the type of leather it can scuff easily. Are you sure the scuff marks are weathering and not just shipping and storage damage?

It really depends on what you're going after. If you want "screen accurate", then yes, definitely weather the leather...if you're just going for that "new" look, then don't weather. Personally I would weather the leather because the rest of your helmet looks to be weathered so it looks off.

Steveo: You have a point, that I had done quite of bit of weathering and then I decided to stop when it came to the leather. I guess it really does look off balance. I never thought of it that way :unsure

RodianJedi: I see your point too and will definitely try doing some distressing on some scrap leather I have left over. Good tip.

Funny I thought the same way as WookieGunner I wasn't really sure if the Boushh helmet was more distressed due to shipping and storage over the years, then it really appeared in the movie. I guess I should really look at the dvd and do some pausing to see what I make of it. (as well as look over some screen caps I have of the helmet)

tk2647: Thank you for the compliment. And Thank you SO much for those awesome pics of the actual Boushh. You've really captured some very nice shots. Some from angles I have never really seen before. The details you captured are awesome. Makes me want to repaint my chest piece/communicator (my red markings were not exact ;) I just tried my best to give it the look because I could never make out was the actual markings). I appreciate your tips as well. Thank you :)

Well...

Thank you all for the feedback. I think that all of your advice has given me the extra little push and incentive to actually distress the leather. I won't lie to you, but I am a bit nervous. I'll let you know how I make out, hopefully all will go well. :unsure

Thanks again guys :) I really appreciate it. ~ Lori

I've started the distressing process. This is the third day I am working on it. Grant it not continously. I haven't got to far on it. I keep trying different things to see how it works. I have a bit to go, but I thought I show you my work in progress:

beginh.jpg

The real one:

sideviewworkon.jpg

Do you think I am heading in the right direction?. :unsure :confused Or should I cry and kick myself for beginning this :(

I think it looks fine....one thing about distressing is you can't go back...why don't you live with this level of distress for the time being before going to the next level...I think at this point you're looking at more subtle distress.....

Thanks guys for the feedback and compliments.

Its definetly a work in progress and I'm not finished with it. Its definetly something I don't want to rush and am deathly afraid too. :confused Like SithLord mentioned, I know all its not reversible.

Looks good so far keep up the great work. I used to try to keep my costumes lookin brand new but noticed they photograph much better with scuffs and wear areas. The only time I ever buff out the trooper armor is if we're doing a special troop and we're trying to look sharp. Other than that the scuff marks stay.

<div class='quotetop'>(WookieGunner @ Jul 21 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]1285101[/snapback]</div>
Honestly, the first thing I would do is go watch the movie again. Depending on the type of leather it can scuff easily. Are you sure the scuff marks are weathering and not just shipping and storage damage?
[/b]

WG thats EXACTLY what i was goin g to advise her on...

i woulndt go to crazy with it... its a fantastic lookin bucket.

but i agree the leather is a BIT too pristene, it at least needs to be dirtied up a bit. a few grazes etc.

hell most unfinished leather you can run your finger acroos and get this effectt then run it back and it dissapears... try raking a comb down the side llightly... maybe it would help give that affect, without damaging the material?

its deffinately a delicate balance, between weathered and RUINED :eek: so ultimately its your call, but deffinately come back with pics if you do go there.

good luck.

Looks Great.

<div class='quotetop'>(AlderaanGirl @ Jul 21 2006, 02:27 AM) [snapback]1284979[/snapback]</div>
Please advice me as to whether I should weather my Boushh helmet more or not.

What I am really asking for advice on is, you see how the "real" one has a bunch of scratches on the leather. I was wondering if I should do the same to mine. To be honest, I am very hesitant in doing so and am totally unsure if I should even bother. Part of me is afraid of messing it up. That is why I am asking you your opinions. For a while now I have been going back and forth on this issue, never truly making my mind up.

Please let me know what you think. And if you think yes, how would you suggest going about it? I have some ideas, but I would love to hear yours.

Thanks in advance :) ......~ Lori

helmetscratch.jpg

[/b]

Nice helmet there... May I know who is the maker ??? just out of cudiosity ?..

And my opinion is: HEAVY WEATHERED ... Dont doubt it ...

i think it's looking great. the thing i learned quickly when i started on boba was that once you think it's dirty/damaged enough, that means you are almost close to where it needs to be :)

going slow is good though. like you said, you can't take it back.

The helmet looks great. You did a great job. I would let it weather on its own as you wear it.

Thanks again, been a few weeks. Boy do I know how to take it slow. I THINK I am about there. But I am sure I will do something else. Then again, I am too afraid to do much more. :p Well actually I have to resecure my fans, but that is another story.

Here's some pics on (well not my whole costume just the jacket no armor ~ hair is sticking out lol..I just rushed it. So this will look a little funny.)

redohelmet2.jpg
redohelmet4.jpg

rehelmet.jpg
redohelmet6.jpg

redohelmet7.jpg

Thoughts? Should I have left it alone? Should I do more..or hang it up. :confused Criticism is welcome. Thanks.

I would say leave it. It looks really great as it is and over time as you wear it to cons etc, it will gain its own weathering which I'm sure you will be very happy with. :)

You see it wasn't all that bad now wasn't it? It was definately worth the time and effort you have put into it.

Have to ask though, why obscure such a lovely face behind a helmet? ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back