Tron Legacy: the Other Props

Those look like fan renders on the Wiki page (and posted up above). I wouldn't run off using them for reference until we can verify their accuracy.

d'oh. forgot to post this. got tied up on a few other tron-related threads -one where i outline some thoughts on electroluminescence.

this is what i have so far:

5302180972_4ae4a2088e.jpg

since a dogtag chain is too thick to run through the hole, i used one of those necklace rings from a previous project. they come in a pack of 140+ at michael's arts and crafts or similar store.

thanks for the reference pics. :thumbsup

i'm thinking any white plastic in the shape of a sim card would be where to start of the base of this. then find an smd led or a few to figure out the placement & power -which should likely be something like a small button battery.
they do make the chain balls in smaller sizes

d'oh. forgot to post this. got tied up on a few other tron-related threads -one where i outline some thoughts on electroluminescence.

this is what i have so far:

5302180972_4ae4a2088e.jpg

since a dogtag chain is too thick to run through the hole, i used one of those necklace rings from a previous project. they come in a pack of 140+ at michael's arts and crafts or similar store.

thanks for the reference pics. :thumbsup

i'm thinking any white plastic in the shape of a sim card would be where to start of the base of this. then find an smd led or a few to figure out the placement & power -which should likely be something like a small button battery.

found another site for them
Replacement Sim Card Tray Holder Slot For Apple iPhone 2G - $1.99 : Buy Blu-ray Combo/Burner Drive, Blu-ray Movies DVD Disc, Video Games Accessories for Xbox 360, Sony PS2/PS3/PSP, Nintendo Wii/NDS/DS lite/DSi, Replacement Parts for Apple Macbook/iPh

also some pics of real sim cards hmmm
800px-SIM_card_Telef%C3%B3nica_O2_Europe_2008.jpg

File:SIM card Telefónica O2 Europe 2008.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

I found this pic
5253279584_c6f737e206_b.jpg

Um, I'm looking at a screencap right now, and this thing is ... exactly the same shape as the frame of the card that Sam hangs around his neck at the end of the movie. Obviously, the guts were added, but the shape of the tray is exact. (Due to the dubious nature of the screencap, I don't think it should be posted.)
can you pm me the screen cap?

I forgot about that video! Yay! Pics we can officially post! In HD!

YouTube---TRON_-LEGACY---Official-Nokia-Trailer-Featuring-Nokia-N8220-39-25.jpg

The light in the center of the disk looks like a backlight to me. Something they stuck on the BACK OF THE PROP and drilled a small hole so the light would shine through. This would account for the spilling of light behind and around the card. Thoughts?

they do make the chain balls in smaller sizes

this opens up the discussion for... which size ball chain did they use?

the one in my pic is directly from a dogtag chain from a local army surplus shop.

if they ran the chain through the very tiny sim tray hole, 1mm(or roughly around that diameter) ball chain is way too delicate and can break easily.

did they use a ring to attach it to the chain? if so, what shape and size is it?

thanks for the pics. the necklace at the last pic is obviously an interpretation of the design and not accurate. but it gets the point across and is neat in of itself.

The light in the center of the disk looks like a backlight to me. Something they stuck on the BACK OF THE PROP and drilled a small hole so the light would shine through. This would account for the spilling of light behind and around the card. Thoughts?

the screen prop has four circles in the center. i also think that the center light could be backlit from the phone module. in the final scene when he slides the sim out of the phone slot, the light turns off and happens quick. tough to say unequivocably but i was thinking the same thing.

to me the triangle portion seems a bit bigger, extending to the corner of the tray. maybe it's so they could show more of that blinking corner light. but it's tough to tell without clear pictures. sam's hand is also blocking it on that other scene. gah.

Man....if that necklace can be identified with the same zeal as all other RPF investigations I would love to sport one of those around.

Yeah. The shots you've quoted are for when the card is connected to the phone. So, it's safe to say that they had the electronics hidden within the custom "connection box" that is attached to the phone. I'm guessing they used post-production visual effects for the bit where its hanging around his neck at the end of the film.

Edit: I'm awfully tempted to post all the "Tron" posts made here over at the Tron Sector forums. So far, I've posted the link to one of the posts here over there already (the custom CLU figure).

Last edited:
Definitely. Rule #1 of filmmaking: If you can fake it cheaper than doing it for real, do it. If they knew they were only ever going to show that thing from one angle, then it doesn't matter what's on the back of it. They do that sort of thing all the time.

Definitely. Rule #1 of filmmaking: If you can fake it cheaper than doing it for real, do it. If they knew they were only ever going to show that thing from one angle, then it doesn't matter what's on the back of it. They do that sort of thing all the time.

whether the light or other aspects were vfx or not, i like a significant degree of screen accuracy in terms of its behaviour of how we were supposed to perceive it and make it real to some convincing extent. also, if the unseen sides(such as the back) we devise make the piece more elegant, clean or sleeker i'm all for that too. biodigital jazz, man. :)

Yeah, I agree there, too. I was just pointing out that the on-set prop probably doesn't actually look like what we're going to come up with for the back. :)

mock up prototype:
5310626831_cd0fb7516f.jpg

it's great what you can do with double stick tape, two layers of posterboard, scissors, an exacto knife, circle stencils & a pencil. the center hole is rough because i just jabbed it with an awl.

i might go over the pencil traces with blue pen ink. this one is just a test to show what's readily possible on little to no budget. once the idea is down you can use polystyrene or other rigid material of your choice.

what i like about this necklace is that both lights aren't stuck on the chip per se but can be simulated from the back. just have a tiny hole at the triangle portion and one at the center of the chip.

with regards to the pattern at the utmost top edge with the triangle in necklace form, the chip appears to be covering spacer that typically holds the sim card in place. this could mean you could do it in two layers, with the back layer fitted to the shape of a sim to hold it in place and the top one as the veneer with the pattern print.

Took the wife to the movie again tonight, watching out specifically for the chip.

Aside from the main circuit lines we can all see from the (currently) blurry images, there are smaller lines of circuitry between them. With that in mind, I'm going to hold off on my own full replica until we can get a better shot.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back