Tron Legacy: the Other Props

here's a rough drawing of the sim tray with the piece i'm referring to to get a better idea of what i'm talking about:
68177733.jpg

the far right shows the frame with triangle piece as how it might be attached to the sim card when attaching it to the phone.

the center/left shows its orientation when the sim card is in the necklace/sim tray. the circled part is the piece that could be permanently attached to the sim card.

if this is the case, the triangle is bigger than the one on the sim tray and somehow fits.

i could be wrong but this is just an observed guess based on images, promo clips and seeing the movie a number of times. can anyone confirm this?

The frame you saw is the SIM card tray slot. Actually I think the entire module is build on the iphone 2G logic board. I've marked out the area which became Sam's hacker module.

iphone%20tron%20module.jpg

You can compare to screen cap everything is there. But there is a sheet of plastic/glass cover the module which could be for easier handling.

Now I've ordered the N8 demo model and the iphone logic board, I'll start making the module as soon as they arrive.

The CR1216 is 1.2 cm in diameter, 1.6 mm thick.

But the question is this: how thin would be the CR1216 and the tray? And how screen accurate would it be if it is too thick?

Not to mention, how do you recharge such a small batter?

But the question is this: how thin would be the CR1216 and the tray? And how screen accurate would it be if it is too thick?
I figure you'd at least double the thickness when you add the tray and associated wiring. So if that makes the total thickness > 3 mm, it might be too thick to be screen-accurate.

Not to mention, how do you recharge such a small batter?
You don't. These coin cells are disposable (used mainly in watches, calculators, etc.).

I just had a thought. Where would he get a monitor like that in 1989?

Where did Ed Dillinger get his HUGE desk/touchscreen monitor... in 82?

It is NOT the same world we live in. They had tech in 82 that we still don't have now.

I just have to reiterate this point. People keep going... "but they didn't have the tech to make that monitor!" or "how could that arcade machine have been online?"

To which I ask... HOW DID THEY TELEPORT AN ORANGE? :rolleyes

Now back to prop talk. :angel

So you guys are still thinking this one tiny little light was added in post? I really think we haven't had a good enough look at the piece.

I sure wish Guntahkela could get their Disney friend to take a look at this prop for us. The pager didn't quite need the close inspecton that this thing does.

Hopefully we will get more info. This is one of those rare props that can be done on the cheap. Yet is still REALLY cool. I still have a feeling the battery is in the cutout. A little sticks out the front a little sticks out the back. There is a cover on the front and who knows on the back. That is just what I see from the pics I've been given.

As far as the wiring, does it have to be wire? They make pens with conductive material in them ( CircuitWorks CW2000 | Conductive Pens ) e to fix pcb etchings. With this stuff you are just adding the thickness of the ink.

Good idea! You'd still need a clip or some such to make contact to the lithium coin cell (and hold it in place).

from my experience with conductive ink pens, it's good for short, small gaps but not necessarily reliable in the long run for creating circuit traces.

what would probably be more reliable & practical for initial experimental purposes is conductive tape. you can solder on it and it has an adhesive on the other side. they are kind of expensive depending on the width you get.

there's also flat wire / flat ribbon cable which might be useful. by that i'm not referring to the ones used to attach to hard drives, but rather the thin film type that fits in small spaces & does things like connect notebook/netbook keyboards internally. they come in a variety of types.

designing & etching a small pcb path is also another idea. or even build the circuit path as part of the design itself.

looking at the video frame by frame, it's very tricky to get the design down. the details are still fuzzy. the pattern even seems to be distorted by the light & shadows, making it harder to tell for sure.

^ I've used silver conductive ink for making moderately-sized traces, and the material is used in industry for making flexible traces many inches in length. Given the application here with such a small prop, I think conductive ink is a viable option (as is conductive tape or some very thin wire like used in electromagnet windings).

I figure you'd at least double the thickness when you add the tray and associated wiring. So if that makes the total thickness > 3 mm, it might be too thick to be screen-accurate.

You don't. These coin cells are disposable (used mainly in watches, calculators, etc.).

Okay about the battery. By the way you made it sound, it sounded like a small rechargeable battery. Kinda wish you had said "watch battery."

The rod looks like two batons connected, and there are at least 4 ways to use it: lightcycle, lightjet, sword and rod. Maybe it's why it had 4 buttons on it too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back