Tron Legacy: the Other Props

Doesn't look like it, clutch they are a bit pricey for some plastic math toys. Got mine about a year ago and they are quite fun in a completely nerdy kind of way.

So has anyone put anymore thought into the necklace? I am going to buy one of the apple trays. Do you think the light was practical? (Surely it was?) I wonder if sticking a round led through a drilled out hole in the triangle would give that look... or if you would need to take the triangle out and get a white triangle LED? What would be the easiest way of powering one tiny light?

OMG youngpaddy1 that is a GREAT freakin screen name. :lol

I'm making the card, it will be ready next week. I'll post some pictures then.

But I didn't install a light on the tray, cuz I thought it was added during post production. The tray is too small and thin for a battery and a LED (there is a hole in the middle).

Last edited:
The sector is made of a hard material (it sounded like glass to me), but thin enough to fit between the pages of her Jules Verne book. Also, the center of the sector has some detail (that looked animated?).

The coaster for SDCC has some the lettering on the edges used for the ARG that aren't present on the sector in the movie. It might also be smaller than the sector in the movie.

Also, the sector was all CG. In one of the Tron featurettes, they showed the filming of the scene where Quorra gives the sector to Sam and all it is is a blank piece of white material. They added the sector later.
My first impression was that it looked like an oddly-shaped CD. Maybe the repros could be etched onto aluminum sheet? Expensive, I know, but they would be pretty cool.

I forgot about that video! Yay! Pics we can officially post! In HD!

YouTube---TRON_-LEGACY---Official-Nokia-Trailer-Featuring-Nokia-N8220-39-25.jpg

Looking at that video, do you think it's the black or grey N8 phone?

EDIT: Doh, the black and the grey are the same. I was looking at different sellers. Black/gray it is!

The light OldKen and I talked about is when Sam wore the necklace, there is a close-up shot, showing a faint white glow in the upper corner where tiny triangle sits on the tray.

The big light in the middle is coming from the module (what looks like card reader/hacker tool) below.

It looks like they added"guts" to cover the memory card hole.

I garauntee somene will have a lit one in no time.

d'oh. forgot to post this. got tied up on a few other tron-related threads -one where i outline some thoughts on electroluminescence.

this is what i have so far:

5302180972_4ae4a2088e.jpg

since a dogtag chain is too thick to run through the hole, i used one of those necklace rings from a previous project. they come in a pack of 140+ at michael's arts and crafts or similar store.

thanks for the reference pics. :thumbsup

i'm thinking any white plastic in the shape of a sim card would be where to start of the base of this. then find an smd led or a few to figure out the placement & power -which should likely be something like a small button battery.

i'm also thinking there might be a hole through the center of the card surrounded by four circles. the card's pattern looks engraved into the plastic too. it's tough to say what colour the chip card is, with the shadow, lighting, possibly camera filters, and whatnot.

when it's in the necklace form, the center is black on the scene so it's tough to say without a doubt whether there is a hole or if it's filled from what i saw. the one triangle light that blinks at the top corner could have been added via cg/vfx but should be doable with an smd led peering out of a pinhole.

I forgot about that video! Yay! Pics we can officially post! In HD!

YouTube---TRON_-LEGACY---Official-Nokia-Trailer-Featuring-Nokia-N8220-39-25.jpg

Actually, wiring up something so thin may be impossible. It could be possible that the glow of the chip was done either with glow in the dark paint, which I doubt, or the glow was added in post-production, which I think is likely. But to simulate it, depending on how you present it. If you were presenting on a base of some sort, you can easily wire it to glow and utilize the hole that's already in it. But if you were wearing it around your next, there'd be no way for you to have it wired up to glow without it being so noticeable.

However, if you were wiring it up and having it with the cellphone, then it'd be easier to get away with it, as you can have the "chip" in the "reader" wired to the phone (and since we don't have a real good look at the reader, it could very well be as thick as the phone or at least half of the phone", thus easier to allow you to hide the wiring and not have the LED light you use to stick so far out, like how you can see in these pictures).

Actually, wiring up something so thin may be impossible. It could be possible that the glow of the chip was done either with glow in the dark paint, which I doubt, or the glow was added in post-production, which I think is likely. But to simulate it, depending on how you present it. If you were presenting on a base of some sort, you can easily wire it to glow and utilize the hole that's already in it. But if you were wearing it around your next, there'd be no way for you to have it wired up to glow without it being so noticeable.
You might be able to get away with it if an SMT LED were mounted on the front of the piece and a very thin lithium coin cell (such as a CR1216, which is 1.6 mm thick) were on the back side that faces the wearer. No current limiting resistor would be necessary with a lithium cell. However, the finished piece would still be thicker than the screen-used version.

CR1216 is 1.2mm in diameter, it will not be easy to place it somewhere out of the way of the center hole.

I like how CB2001's idea, about making a display stand that glows through the pin hole. Actually it would be great if there is entire module to hold the memory card.

CR1216 is 1.2mm in diameter, it will not be easy to place it somewhere out of the way of the center hole.

I like how CB2001's idea, about making a display stand that glows through the pin hole. Actually it would be great if there is entire module to hold the memory card.

All you'd need is a dummy Nokia N8 to connect that module to, and you're in like Flynn (no pun intended... Well, thinking about it now, yes pun intended).

Looking at that video, do you think it's the black or grey N8 phone?

EDIT: Doh, the black and the grey are the same. I was looking at different sellers. Black/gray it is!

According to the Wikipedia, the phone is available in the following colors: silver white, dark grey, orange, blue, and green.

So, I'm guessing its the dark grey.

simcard.png

i'm beginning to suspect that the sim card / chip has a metal frame attached to it (on the bottom side when attached to the phone in the pic). it's the same edge that contains the blinking light in a triangle. the triangle also appears to be proportionally larger than the one found on the apple sim tray and could be overlayed on top of it when on the sim tray.

so the sim might have an extra bottom frame piece that pulls out with it when it is connected to the phone.

from this review of the n8, that region of the phone contains an hdmi port which might be where that extra module is connected (however unrealistic).
Nokia N8 Preview | SymbianWorld - your S60 and Symbian resource for News, Applications and more

edited to add: screenshots taken from the 1080p nokia n8 promo clip on youtube.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back