Tron Legacy: the Other Props

there is a blue version of the book
verne-jules-jules-verne-cover-of-school-for-robinsons-and-the-green-ray.jpg

seems they had red, green and blue version for real

what to note is the title of that blue version is story about an air ship that looks very much like the Sub in Disney 20000

A small update on my attempt to make a hacker phone like Kev's, with some improvements:

I wanted to add a light up display to my hacker phone because it seemed possible on the face of it and I figured I could just use some LED's stashed in the body of the dummy to make it happen. Well, I finally got my dummy N8 in and took it apart to see about making that happen. Man, what a nightmare. First things first, you can take it completely apart...doing so without damaging it though is less likely. The entire phone is held together with 12 screws and a TON of really sticky tape that makes it harder than it needs to be.

Basically, to take it apart you pop off the two black end pieces (The HDMI slot on one end, the power button on the other) using a flat head screwdriver. Beneath are two screws for each side. You also have to remove two screws from either side of the phone. I had to use a tri tip screwdriver to remove them. Finally, you have to pop off the phone screen to get to the last screws that are hidden under the faux display (which is a sticker BTW). I recommend an Xacto knife for safely removing the screen.

Anyways, once you have all the screws out you pop off the two ends of the phone and then get to use a screw driver to pop the aluminum body of the phone off. There is a spring-loaded button that makes this part particularly difficult so be forewarned.

Once you get the housing off you are left with the innards, a metallic silver top piece and the dull black bottom piece. When you pull them apart there's a chuck o metal inside that gives the dummy it's heft. It's held down with double sided tape.

The good news is there is enough room in the assembly to fit electronics to make the dummy display light up. There are some problems though. First off, getting it apart and back together without damaging it is nigh impossible. Maybe I'm just too rough, but the tape in the phone is pretty darn strong and prying it loose takes some work and wreaks some havoc on the phone. Second, the metallic silver portion of the phone body (which is the part the sticker display, and the screen itself, is attached to) is solid, save a small round hole in the center. It could be cut out, but doing so would mean losing the six screws that holds the metallic piece to the solid black piece leaving you to find another way to attach them together.

At this point in time it really seems to me that the best bet for adding a functional display that lights up would be for someone to take the dummy apart and cast it and then mod the cast for electronics. Right now I just don't see adding electronics to the dummy as a viable option because of the significant damage to it. I don't know, has anyone had more success at taking it apart without destroying it than I did? At this point I'm probably just going to settle for inserting the printout of the code breaking display Megatron posted and hope I can make my 2G board light up while the SIM card is in it.

For what it's worth, I took some pics that I can post if anyone is interested in seeing them...

Ok, I'm off to order a new dummy now...:unsure

Last edited:
the body replacement would work..its already in parts
take the screen from the dummy and use it on a body replacement kit
there is really no need to get another dummy phone unless you trashed the other one..

I did a pretty good amount of damage to the body prying the aluminum casing off. It isn't major, but you can tell a screw driver was stuck in a few places and I'm anal retentive. Further, the spring-loaded button pretty much got destroyed.

Robbie FAIL.:cry

EDIT: Just realized I misread what you wrote. I'm off to check out the body replacements now, thanks for the heads up!

I'm not having any luck finding a body replacement kit. Well, i found one that's $80, so that can't be it. Can you point me in the right direction Megatron?

I went and watched TRON: Legacy again, but this time at a $1. I spotted another item that may be interesting.

Apparently, Alan uses an iPad-like device during the Board Meeting scene at the Encom tower (after the Chairman asks "What happened to the main file?" Alan uses this iPad device to inform him that the file was uploaded onto the web). I don't know if it's a real iPad or not, but It looks a bit smaller and a bit thicker in comparison to iPads I've seen. I don't think it's an actual iPad, as it doesn't have the Apple logo (plus the silver backsize goes around the frame of the screen). I don't know if anyone has pics of that device or not, but it looks like a simple one that can be done.

Also, I noticed a little detail about the End of Line Club sector disc that Quorra gives Sam. If you pay attention (and compare it to the coaster from the EOLC event), it is actually quite different. So, doing a plastic version of the coaster may not be as screen accurate (unless you can get a great screencap of the design as shown in the film).

BTW, I bought myself a really thin piece of clear plastic from Hobby Lobby for about $.99. It's as thin as a piece of cardstock. Definitely would be useful for making a "sector disc" to fit into the Jules Verne book.

I was wondering if anyone as produced/is producing the mines that quorra uses at the end of the lightcycle scene, they look pretty swish.

cheers

You lucky dog! I wish I had one of the ARG ones. I've already put an order in for one of the California Adventure ones from a seller on eBay (crosses fingers for a smooth transaction).

There are still several sets on eBay. Granted, they are a bit pricey (~$35), but they are there...

There are still several sets on eBay. Granted, they are a bit pricey (~$35), but they are there...

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm going with one of the California Adventures tokens, as with the limited income I currently have, spending $2 for one token (that's the .99 for the coin and the s&h) is the better option for right now (I may buy the ARG coins much later). Besides, it's my first eBay purchase ever, so I figured I'd start off with something simple.

BTW, I'm considering on making the EOLC coaster using the clear plastic I found at Hobby Lobby, the scan of the EOLC from SDCC and a printable decal sheet used for models (if I can find a big enough one).

Do you know anyone near Disneyland? I only ask because those tokens are twenty five cents apiece. Granted, a dollar is still cheap, but the guy is charging you three times what he paid for it on top of shipping.

You lucky dog! I wish I had one of the ARG ones. I've already put an order in for one of the California Adventure ones from a seller on eBay (crosses fingers for a smooth transaction).

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm going with one of the California Adventures tokens, as with the limited income I currently have, spending $2 for one token (that's the .99 for the coin and the s&h) is the better option for right now (I may buy the ARG coins much later). Besides, it's my first eBay purchase ever, so I figured I'd start off with something simple.

BTW, I'm considering on making the EOLC coaster using the clear plastic I found at Hobby Lobby, the scan of the EOLC from SDCC and a printable decal sheet used for models (if I can find a big enough one).

Do you know anyone near Disneyland? I only ask because those tokens are twenty five cents apiece. Granted, a dollar is still cheap, but the guy is charging you three times what he paid for it on top of shipping.

I'm afraid I don't. Kinda makes me wonder why Disney World down here in Florida doesn't have a End of Line Club kind of thing (you think they would have thought of that). But like I said, my first eBay purchase ever.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back