Modding my AP kit to an ANH hero

The Manlet

Sr Member
like the title says i dont know if i should try FX lenses or if there is somthing better out there let me know :D
DSC04317.jpg

DSC04320.jpg

I know i know i didnt fix the bump in the left eye but i dont have a heat gun and i was also to lazy to sand it down and resculpt it. :p

Hi GundamZeppelin,

Nice helmet :thumbsup

You might have problems with the ear cap screws as hero helmets only have 2 only stunts have 3 are you going to remove them and try to patch up the hole?

Have you thought about getting accurate mic tips for it? Try Keith on this forum he could sort you out.

Keep us up to date with your progress :)

Cheers Chris.

On my ABS 80 ANH kit I took and used green welding face sheild material and carefully heated a section so that is like a wet soft noodle, cut just a little bit bigger then the eye hole, and pushed it through the eye hole to form a bubble lens.
Worked like a charm.

HTH,
Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jul 21 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]1285273[/snapback]</div>
Hi GundamZeppelin,

You might have problems with the ear cap screws as hero helmets only have 2 only stunts have 3 are you going to remove them and try to patch up the hole?

Have you thought about getting accurate mic tips for it? Try Keith on this forum he could sort you out.

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

I just sent keth a payment a few mintues ago :love I thought the ANH hero only had one visible screw?

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jul 21 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]1285393[/snapback]</div>
On my ABS 80 ANH kit I took and used green welding face sheild material and carefully heated a section so that is like a wet soft noodle, cut just a little bit bigger then the eye hole, and pushed it through the eye hole to form a bubble lens.
Worked like a charm.

HTH,
Lynn
[/b]

I dont know how i am going to work on the eye yet i might heat it up.. or migth just dremel it down and re sculpt it. But i dont want to mess it up I'm going to try and get some lenses frist then let that be the fire under my ass to work on the eye.

<div class='quotetop'>(GundamZeppelin @ Jul 22 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]1285582[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jul 21 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]1285273[/snapback]
Hi GundamZeppelin,

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

I just sent keth a payment a few mintues ago :love I thought the ANH hero only had one visible screw?

[/b][/quote]

Hi Gundam Zeppelin,

The screws I am refering to are one at the top on the cap and the one right down the bottom near the neck trim. I have looked at a few hero helmets and they can both be seen. So if you are you going to remove the lower screw on the disc part how are you going to fill the hole?

Good move on the mic tip front Keith's mic tips will make your helmet look excellent :thumbsup its amazing the little touches that make the big differences.

Anyway good luck in the project and keep us up to date :) .

Cheers Chris.

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jul 23 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]1285883[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(GundamZeppelin @ Jul 22 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]1285582[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jul 21 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]1285273[/snapback]
Hi GundamZeppelin,

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Hi Gundam Zeppelin,

The screws I am refering to are one at the top on the cap and the one right down the bottom near the neck trim. I have looked at a few hero helmets and they can both be seen. So if you are you going to remove the lower screw on the disc part how are you going to fill the hole?

Good move on the mic tip front Keith's mic tips will make your helmet look excellent :thumbsup its amazing the little touches that make the big differences.

Anyway good luck in the project and keep us up to date :) .

Cheers Chris.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks alot for the help i have an idea on what to do now ;) I didnt see many screen caps of the Screen used helmet i was going by the SDS pictures of the hero helmet. The only thing i have done so far is clean up the paint job.
I am also waiting for some test lenses from lens man to make sure they fit befor i buy.

A little update Got my mic tips from keth ;) bust still waiting on lenses might have to make my own :(

Here are some shot's i took with the new mic tips
DSC04478.jpg

DSC04480.jpg

DSC04481.jpg

And today i deicided to work on the eye a bit to make it look a little more like a hero helmet.
DSC04486.jpg

Oh yeah if your like me and dont have a heat gun a hair iron and a dermel are great replacements, sanding paper ruff and soft and some novus polish :thumbsup

Well I just got some lenses from a guy i found with a great deal of luck :D :D i'd say i'm now 98% done B) just needs a little more work needed :thumbsup
DSC04542.jpg

DSC04543.jpg

DSC04544.jpg

Had some time on my hands today so i gave the helmet a little going over
DSC05179.jpg

DSC05183.jpg

DSC05182.jpg

DSC05180.jpg

Need to repaint the chin and i am still working on the frown accurate trooper trim is next.

I'm in need of some extra/new pieces to my helmet as well. I know Keith does the mic-tips, but who does accurate brow trim? Just collating data for future purchases.

Sorry for the high-jack.

Here are a few updated shots i painted in all the decals but the 2 spots over the brow trim.... I still have so far to go :|

DSC05289.jpg

i know the paint isnt done drying :p

DSC05290.jpg

DSC05292.jpg

DSC05295.jpg

DSC05296.jpg

I tryed my best to recreate the brush storks on the helmet as seen in the flim but I didnt do as well as i had hoped for but, I will be cleaning up my paint job as soon as the paint drys a touch up here and there :thumbsup

I think you're doing very well. Having seen a few close-up pictures of the paint-jobs on the screen used helmets I can tell you that that was some sloppy work... (of course, those were stunts, but still...) I would never try to emulate the look of the screen used props, as that is simply not my style... even though I'm very persistent of wanting to keep my stuff as close to the real thing as possible, I still prefer the screen look to the prop look, if that makes sense - so that basically means that I go for seen on screen idealism. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back