The beast's floating rose from Beauty and the Beast - build thread

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I came across this idea a while ago, and was reminded from this disney props thread, and knew it'd be a simple thing to do that would make a great gift. I am going to be able to do it for under $35.

Here is the goal:
Beast_and_rose.jpg

$32.10 = $17.55 plus $14.55 shipping for the jar. The proportions of the jar seem to change since it is an animation, but I've selected a jar that is 8" diameter and 11" tall, plus the handle.
843.jpg

$2.00 for a single rose
LongStemRose.jpg

$0.10 worth of hot glue
41ZsGhvHemL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$0.05 worth of fishing wire
2007119204535.jpg

I plan on hot glueing one end of the fishing line to the top inside of the jar, and tieing the other end in a loop. That way the rose will appear to float. When the real rose dies after a week or so, it will be easy to remove the rose, and add another into the loop without having to reglue and retie the rose.

Progress pics coming early next week, with the goal to have it done by next weekend for her birthday.

Last edited:
that picture, i'm not sure... maybe its fake. i plan on using a real rose so that thepetals actually fall off. sure it'll go bad after a week or two since that is the idea... but just another $2 and it'll be like new!

Last edited:
I had a thought as I read the thread title.

First, artificial rose. Take some petals off and place them on the bottom if you like.

Second, some kind of crystal-clear resin. Mix with small amounts of glitter.

Fill the entire container with the resin, placing the rose and petals wherever they need to be. This will levitate both the rose and the glitter, giving it that magical "twinkling" property.

How feasible that is, I don't know.. I'm not much of a propmaker myself. If someone successfully makes it, send me one for coming up with the idea. :)

i think the artificial rose idea is a better option, buying a rose every week would eventually become a drag...maybe buy 1 real rose to get the dead petals look for the bottom and have a fake to stand up and pull a couple petals off so it looks like the petals are falling off every time you look at it

well i always get her flowers on fridays anyway, so its not so much of a drag. i'm doing this as a present to her, and the ability to swap out the rose from last week for one from this week i think is kinda neat

Last edited:
depending on the lighting where this will be displayed, the fishing wire could be very, very visible. Have you looked into using invisible thread? You can get a refill pack from any magic shop...or make your own from some pantyhose if you have enough patience.

I'm waiting for the bell to get delivered =/ its from a local company... should just gone to pick it up. 40 minutes away tho, and nothing else is around that part of town cuz its out in the county. i like the invisible thread idea.

Last edited:
I love the idea, very creative. I know your keeping costs down, but is there a way to incorporate some lighting? There's gotta be a way to capture that pink haze - I think it would make it even cooler.

Really neat prop and even better gift for a lady. :)

I love the idea, very creative. I know your keeping costs down, but is there a way to incorporate some lighting? There's gotta be a way to capture that pink haze - I think it would make it even cooler.

You know what I Instantly thought of GG? Those little trains I had as a kid that you could put liquid in and the tiniest puffs of "smoke" would come out... throw in something like that at the bottom and some pink, or red and white LEDs?

Probably more work than its worth. Just thinking out loud. :confused

i bought invisible thread but it kept breaking. i tried to double/quadruple it up but roses aren't that light. the invisible thread is meant to float a playing card, or dollar bill, and not a rose.

back to fishing wire...
its so hard to get it balanced. the rose keeps wanting to tilt to its side since its top heavy. i tried sticking pins in the base of the stem as a counterweight but i can't get anything eavy enough. i kinda got it to work with two seperate fishing lines but it's not perfect. three would work for sure but now we're getting to thhe point where its super easy to see the fishing line

Last edited:
back to fishing wire...
its so hard to get it balanced. the rose keeps wanting to tilt to its side since its top heavy. i tried sticking pins in the base of the stem as a counterweight but i can't get anything eavy enough. i kinda got it to work with two seperate fishing lines but it's not perfect. three would work for sure but now we're getting to thhe point where its super easy to see the fishing line

How about threading the thread through a needle and then pushing the needle down vertically into the centre of the rose bud?

I like this build so far and look foward to seeing more progress. The ideas of resin might work for this but there is one major problem slowly but surely the rose would still decay. If you use a fake rose in the resin that would work but you still have the problem of making it look realistic and getting the petals into it right you could even take off some of the petals and when you are layering the resin place some petals there or at the end of filling it with resin put some so if you have this on a wood base it will look like petals on the base. Stromo has a very good idea though of pushing a needle down into the rose with the thread up to the top of the dome.
Now I have a question where were you able to get that dome from I would like to do something like this for my mother because her b-day is coming up soon as well and I would like to experiment myself.

I did a sculpt with some clay a long time ago with this as my inspiration. It was not intended to be an exact replica but I like how it turned out. It was one of the first I ever did. I'll have to dig up a pic of it and post it.

Basically I found a glass bell display with a wooden base and molded the rose to fit in the display. I used a solid wire in an 'L' shape to support the rose. The 'foot' of the wire was covered by a fallen rose pedal. I had a few other fallen pedals around the base.

i'm thinking if i try with a longer rose and a leaf or two it might help to balance it out more

the wire from below isn't a bad idea either

Last edited:
I was inspired by your build thread and created this for my wife for Valentine's Day. Her favorite childhood movie is Beauty and the Beast so this would be perfect for her desk.

I used a fake rose and trimmed the bottom so it would not touch the glass plate. I tied invisible thread around the head of the rose and use hot glue and double sided tape to suspend the rose from the top. I purchased an additional rose and ripped apart the flowers and spread the petals at the bottom. Finally, I went to IKEA and found a cheap glass plate from the kitchen section. It fit my bell jar perfectly. I used double sided tape to attach the rim of the jar to the edge of the glass plate so that the jar would not shift whenever we moved the entire unit. In direct sun light, the invisible wire literally disappears!

Here are the pics!

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Thanks Zenix for the inspiration!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back