17 lost minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey FOUND!

iconeekq.gif

Now to recap for those at home, 2001 original had a voiceover NARRATION which was completely cut... We dont know if that has been found as well.

Trimmed scenes include Floyd ordering a bushbaby from Macy's as a gift for his daughter (following the phone call on the space station)

A scene of Floyd touring the Clavius base facilities

claviusbasedeletedscene.jpg

Additional scenes of shipboard life on the Discovery, including a famous sequence of Bowman playing a piano, and Poole playing "Pentominoes" with HAL

An extension to the scene where Bowman, prior to fixing the AE-35 unit, fetches a replacement from the storage locker (note the camera dolly tracks on the floor throughout this sequence!)

2001aspaceodysseypic048.jpg

A similar scene of poole preparing to leave the discovery. Actually here he appears to be retrieving the original AE unit that they removed for testing.. I suppose he was intending to "replace it and see if it fails" as per HAL's suggestion)

2001aspaceodysseypic041.jpg

Last edited:
A great list and a fantastic site! :D

A few more of those lost images... Poole with his helmet on was actually an alternate take and doesn't appear in the original cut according to that list (but it always bothered me that these guys wear their spacesuits but leave their helmets and oxygen packs in the pod bay, which as we see in the film is not a good idea! :lol)

2001aspaceodysseypic038.jpg

Poole getting another replacement AE-35 unit

2001aspaceodysseypic040.jpg

Poole waits for HAL to rotate the pod

2001aspaceodysseypic042.jpg

Bowman discovers the pajamas and smoking jacket which the aliens have provided (it's not clear if this shot was ever in the film. It resembles a scene in Clarke's novel).

img065enh.jpg

Do you think they'll put all these back in the movie and reissue it?

I hope not. Such a decision would be for Kubrick only. I'd like to see the footage, but not cut into the film. And certainly the narration should remain buried forever. That it was even recorded represents a momentary failure of Stanley's nerve.

Anyway, this thread has gone some way to solving a puzzle for me. Namely my inability to find in the Kachaturian ballet the precise music used in the film. There's one piece which seems to be the music for the Discovery glide past, but it changes very quickly into a warmer, almost jazzy mood while the 2001 music remains mournful for the Lockwood exercise etc. The article referred to above by Larry Young refers to an audible edit in the Kachaturian in the film, which must explain it, I guess...

They could cut the footage back into the film and theatrically release it and/or put out a DVD special edition. Alternately they could just put the footage on as an "extra" on a video release. Or they could simply do nothing.

I was quite surprised when the studio put a stop to Doug Trumbull's fantastic-looking 2001 documentary earlier this year, so who knows what they might do.

K

Actually having it as just extras on a dvd isn't a bad idea. Sometimes that's better because if you put it back in the film it can really throw things out of whack, especially if there are missing parts that were never found.

Only Kubrick-relted update I have is the news that the SK: A Life in Pictures traveling exhibit will be coming to SoCal's LACMA this fall...

ScreenShot2012-02-11at80850AM.png

Of special note to costuming aficionados may the the Kubrick-themed costume ball planned for 10-27-13 (see final paragraph below)...

Muse Costume Ball | LACMA

Perhaps they'll be some additional info re: the Trumbul/ Larson project by that time.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back