Smooth-on Crytal Clear resin home use?

CasterTroy

I've been learning a boatload as far as what is recommended for certain molds, castings, procedures, vacuum, pressure, etc. Never been happier to have found this site.

I've read on Smooth-on's site that Crystal Clear is supposed to be for industrial use only, not home use. From several posts that I have read many here are already using it but I wanted to confirm what type of environment they are using it in, just how much protection they are using before purchasing something that may be too nasty to use where I live. I don't have a garage, just a fairly large balcony and using depends on how cold it is this time of the year.
I already have a NIOSH respirator and chemical resistant gloves from working with some harsh stuff from modeling and airbrushing as well as a good paint booth.
Despite that I would like to use it in near future clear castings since it appears to be the best clear resin on the market.

Any input?

Go to Don's Light&Magic web site.He has a tutorial for using Smooth On's Crystal clear urethane resin for putting windows in on S.T ships.Its a pretty cool idea and a helpful tutorial if you are building one of the Enterprise ships.There are like 3 or 4 different Crystal Clear resins to choose from.A couple(if memory serves) require to be cured in an oven,the others don't and they are made for making different thickness castings.Some at 1/16 and other s for 3" or more.

You should still cheack out Don'sLight&magic,and there are maybe 1-2 Crystal Clear resins from the Smooth On line that you can cast at home.Basically,you can with all of them,but a few of the others require furth steps for curing it,hence "the oven" treatment.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back