Studio scale Probe droid, ID and build!

Re: Studio scale Probe droid build.

Ralphee
let me know if you need any help with the CAD work for the legs.
I sent you a PM with my email.
Looking good so far!

Lee, you speak my language.

I'm still so tempted to scratch build the entire thing after a few other big projects come to pass.... would be a hell of a group project - like a Han in Carb kind of thing, where we all get the plans drafted up, share 'em, get stuff lasercut, and go from there... I'm probably dreaming.

Jason, hell yeah, that does sound amazing. Tricky parts, the darn head, its that pinch, creating a buck for forming, would be tricky as it would lock in, i kinda get the feeling, ILM vac'd over a found item, such as one of the many bench lamps scattered around the model shop?

Would be a cool project, and id like to see you take it on, but im kinda shying away from anything "group" orientated at this time, just having some fun.....but, of course, im hoping i can map all the parts down in here now....you know im glad to pitch in when i can buddy.

bests......lee

Great great start mate, been going through all the pics i took in Sydney, there is a fare old whack of parts on the legs but it would be nice to have new ones !

I've not forgotten your parts mate & will try to get them out to you tomorrow. I think its going to be a while before I get round to doing this on my PD but at least I'll have a good bible to reference from when I start :thumbsup

Are you going to replace the saturn V parts around the large eye's? It would be well tricky but worth the sweat & tears I reckon.
:cool

Guy, thanks buddy, wasnt going to start for a while, but, couldnt help myself.
Your Sydney pics are perfect BTW. As for the legs, i think, im only missing one Saturn V to replace it all lol, ill have to see if i turn up anymore kits, i may not have.
I did think about the Saturn V bodies that mount the large eyes, but, if that screws up removing them, your in big trouble, as you will ruin the plating etc etc, ill clean them up Guy, i reckon i can get them pretty sweet with some fine work and Magisculp.

Just got my orders in with Plastruct on the rest of the lampshades, just hope i bagged the right sizes for the legs lol.

bests......lee

Oh, sorry Guy, meant to say, thanks on those parts buddy, get to it when you can though, dont worry, ive got plenty to be getting on with LOL.

lee

Wow...I hate to say it but I'm a little jealous Ralphee.I've always wanted the Probe Droid,but the kit is way out of my affordability range. Looks like you'll be putting together another masterpiece.

Damn ! Should have grabbed this one but I'd just spent all my cash on the smt one. I don't think I could have done it the justice you have already Lee. Nice work man looking forward to this.

helluva a project. looks fun and good luck!

liked looking in your parts bin.
never ceases to amaze me. i see a m16? door in the mix...never knew. actually have had one parked in front of me waiting to go on the underside of my chicken head...just for a space filler.

Thanks for kicking this build off Lee, it's been soooo informative already mate!.
Would love to scratch one at some stage, the talk of a group effort with laser cut legs etc... & donor part info & exchange would be a dream come true.
Another must view thread, yeeha!.

E=MC2...nobody buddy, its long OOP, was released by Steve Neisen a while back, mastered by our own Rolando Guiterrez.

Stu.... yeah would be one hell of a project, i thought about it, but i wanted my Probe Droid NOW....'cos im a spoilt lil' brat :lol.

Quincy.... yes buddy, M16 is used a lot on this model, ive only scratched the surface...its kinda weird, not that many kits are on the PD so far, it seems they just used lots of parts, from the few kits they used....donor wise, its not too spendy....nowhere near the ATST.

Simon...yeah you shoulda lol, the SMT is a nice little kit though, but i just cant build anything nowadays, that isnt studio scale and i LOVE the Probe droid.

JP... yes, getting one on the third party market, is a big cost, i had to really ponder it, couple that with the kits i want to burn up on it, yeah.....kinda crazy...but then...who said we studio guys were sane people anyways :lol.

Hoping to get a little more done today, waiting on a few parts, but i think i can just about finish off the top hat, and get to drilling out the smaller eyeballs to fit new larger Plastruct lamps.

bests......lee

VERY nice Moe, love the legs, your work, as always, super clean. You can build me some while your at it :lol.
Moe care to share which F1 wheel im looking for on the lower joints? Cant seem to find a good match.

I just shot a mist of primer today, try to pick put all the crud ill need to clean....theres a lot of it lol, but, itll come good.

lee

As far I know of those joints are also Plastruct - lamp shades!
And yes Lee, Im going to scratch the whole thing. One of the set backs I had was not having a VAC machine big enough, but that is sorted now cuz of the Slave 1 skirts.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back