Replica Johnny 5 robot 13" figure

agliarept

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Mods, sorry if this is the wrong place, wasn't sure where this little guy fit in.This figure was a passion project from one toy designer on facebook and he created only 100 of these bad boys.

I'm not sure if it's against the rules to post the link or not. For legal reasons he isn't screen acurate but nothing some paint and little mods can't fix. the treads are fully mobile and made of solid rubber as whell as the ball wheel in the back. He comes with his shoulder laser, his red toolbox, here is a photo of it on my desk. this is the best toy ever!!!!

151055_10100270537657249_8817187_58804363_8345279_n.jpg

Those are made by Tom Jozwiak at Jozrobotics.com.

He calls it "Robot V" and it does look very similar to a famous movie robot, indeed.
He ha also made some full size robot replicas, including the robot "as seen in Forbidden Planet," B9, R2-D2, Threepio, Maria, Dewey, VINcent, Gort, Tobor, Twiki and a few others.

He is working to make scaled relicas of several of them as well, depending on how well these go.

I have always contended that Tom is, himself, a "robot-building robot."

These "toys" are fantastic, though I am biased as Tom is a friend of mine.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the link vaderman, wasn't sure if i was allowed to or not. Tom did a really good job on this little guy. the design and manufacturing on it is spot on.

I'm going to try and create/print decals to put over his body to make him a little more accurate. but i can't believe how much articulation J5 has! I'm so happy i found it.

Here's another shot of J5 with his trusty red tool box from part 2.
I really have to say these are so well produced, and for us DYI'ers the robot comes apart and theres plenty of space inside to add lights and to even motorize it. the bottom of it has space for 2 AA batteries but no power connections or anything, just battery connections. enjoy!!

2w30swy.jpg

How in the world was he able to have this made? The parts on his page looked like they were injection molded, which takes molds made of metal...which have to be machined. That couldn't have been cheap!!

**** is cheap in Asia.

I was getting quotes from Asia on a full dress, approx. 18" long model kit of something. $8 with box and instructions. 1000 piece minimum. 6-10 months to produce.

Same kit to produce as garage kit would be $250-$400. And the maker will burn out at 50 kits.

How in the world was he able to have this made? The parts on his page looked like they were injection molded, which takes molds made of metal...which have to be machined. That couldn't have been cheap!!

Yeah, getting soft tool metal molds which you can get hundreds of parts from arent too expensive in china... I have designed alot of medical device housings with multi colored rubber overmolding for my work and we get the molds made for less than 10k which is unheard of in the states...

Cool im glade to see another rpf member with one mine arrived a few days ago.It is so cool to see a toy is FINALLY made after all these years so happy im going to start working on mine tonite.

Billy

Hi Guys! Glad to finally be here!
I am the one who created the Model of which the Toy version is made from
I built my model of Johnny 5 back in 2001 and it took 4 and a half months to make it.
I built every piece from sheet styrene individually hand cut piece by piece originally there were 25 separate pieces of the model and was based off the first Short Circuit Movie with the thinner arms and only the laser.
Then I found a caster which made silicon rubber molds of each piece and made 25 model kits which sold out very fast! then went looking for a toy manufacturer even had Revell Modeling Company interested by they never did take up the making of the Johnny 5 figure.

Only this year did I find Joz Robotics with Tom who always wanted one of my models and bid several times on e-bay to get one but kept losing out and finally got hold of me to ask me if he could get it made into a toy version. Sure glad he believed in me and the model enough to really get it made into a toy after all these years and yes it was made from injection plastic with metal molds, it was made in China, but still cost a lot to get 100 units made and now we sell them.

Just as of today The toy company Monsters in Motion picked up the Johnny 5 (Robot V) Toy Robot to sell at their site. Check it out here: Monsters in Motion, Movie, TV Collectibles, Model Hobby Kits, Action Figures, Monsters in Motion
if you want to get one. thanks for the interest

If anybody has questions I would be happy to answer them here about the Johnny 5 Toy Robot.

Mike Van Plew, The Model/Toy Maker

mikevanplew-Im glade to see you here EVERYONE this man made my childhood dream come true im very greatful him and I are friends.Thanks again Mike.:)

DocBrown88-I shure will pictures DO NOT do him justice yes he needs a repaint and mods here and their but he is very close to the real johnny he is a very nice scaled prop replica.I should have him completed by monday if all goes well.

Billy

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back