Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

That's the ANH Falcon. I won't be posting any renders of the FS Falcon in this thread.

I was just thinking how easy it would be to make a lot of the modular wall panels that make up the death star docking bay. It would be a cinch to dress a warehouse to look right.

Gotcha! I agree - if we are able to convince CL that the MF being covered is the way to move forward, creating those side walls would be fairly easy. Using a vacuum form, we could reproduce those panels by the stackload! :)

got tired of looking at that clean ship, so I started the exterior texturing. More renders to come.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Steve do you have any idea what that might be?
whatisit.jpg

whatisit2g.jpg

From a first guess it looks like a clothing or gloves. I dont think it actualy is a part of the console.

-Angel

Thanks!

I'm really happy with the new filthy falcon. Looks way better to me. The texture itself could use some work, but it's pretty editable.

The renders take forever though, because of the specular/glossy floor of the docking bay. It might be time to move the Falcon back to Docking Bay 94, and see how she looks there, all covered in the requisite grime.

Isn't it amazing with all the video technologies and high end video games such as FarCry 3 and Crysis... it still takes forever to render a single image? :)

you're telling me, these guys are something like 30 - 40 hours, and there are few more that are still baking...

Those engines you're talking about take a lot of shortcuts that I'm growing increasingly interested in...

I've been playing FarCry3 and the engine is just AMAZING! All the trees and bushes move/sway back and forth, there are sun (lens) flares, cast shadows, filtered light, bugs, rain, mist, water reflections, etc... AMAZING! 30-40 hours just seems way too long to render with todays technology

Yeah. 40 hours seams way off. Are you still using Indigo? The images look great, but there's got to be a better way.

I've been using Keyshot for my renders and none of them are more than 10-20 minutes. For full environmental stuff, I've used Mental Ray or V-ray and those might take 6-8 hours tops.

What CPU have you got? 30 - 40 hours sounds way too long for what you're doing. It would be worth your time to optimize your renders, and see where you can cut back, and where you can't.

I've never used the Indigo renderer, but I could probably offer some tips to help you get those render times down a bit without sacrificing quality.

My render times are usually way lower, but the specular floor is really causing me problems. Indigo has some strange properties where it renders infinitely, adding samples per pixel as it goes, but the down side is that the time between updates to the render increase exponentially. The indigo manual recommends using different render modes to counter for this, but I've had limited success with them.

I wouldn't mind trying something other than indigo, but I'm pretty limited, budget wise, to freeware...

Most renderers should have settings that limit the number of rays for reflection/specular etc, and sampling options so you don't use more samples than you need to.
When in doubt, play around with settings and test the extremes to get a clear idea of what everything does, and how it's going to affect render times and quality.

I haven't seen anything like that in my adjustments of the settings, and the manual doesn't seem to cover that... maybe part of their claim of super realistic lighting physics? Anyway, maybe my problem is that I'm using a specular material when I should be using a phong? (let me know if I don't know what I'm talking about) It seems like the specular is blasting the scene with reflected light that I don't even necessarily want, whereas a phong would make the floor glossy but limit the amount of reflected light?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back