Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

...if the model is actually on a flat horizontal line does this show a slightly higher roof and lowered floor on Chewie's side?

Wavey,

All the chewie-side panels are about 3 inches higher than their han-side counterparts. The peak of he ceiling is the same, but is off the cockpit center-line, towards chewie's side, by an inch or so. Another fun artifact of the adjustment is that the back-wall panels on chewie's side are considerably wider than they are on the other.

Near as I can tell, the floor is the same. However, the jury is still out (as far as reference is concerned) on whether the shelf on chewie's side is lower than on Han's. There are few solid shots of the shelf level on Han's side, but none on Chewie's that aren't obscured by Peter Mayhew, or some combination of chairs. One thing I can see, in tiny glimpses, is that there is definitely a strip light on the side I can't see. In order to have the light, and the panels in their current arrangement, the shelf would have to be lower... but that makes for some interesting problems in the nose side walls where the shelves end... still trying to figure that out.

Valdi,

ha, detective work is right!

Thanks all for the compliments! back to work...

OK guys, this question goes out to all you studio lighting gurus (or well informed amateurs) out there:

Can anyone either identify the studio lights in this photo, or give me a rundown on what kind of set up they have going on here? I'd like to imitate this lighting as closely as possible...

anhmfcockpit2hb8.jpg

wfdj_morestarwarsrarities_18.jpg

any help here would be Greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I work with a few photographers regularly - what specifically are you looking for?

Make/model of fixture? Bulb type? Wattage?

Just from my exposure to this type of set-up, they generally used tungsten bulbs. It looks like a 24" fresnel key light and a 9" spot fill. Both have barn doors mounted on them and it looks as though the key light has a gel filter on it - probably to cool off the light to a more blue color (tungsten tends to be very orange at around 3,200 Kelvin)

I'm not sure what is happening on the far left - could be the backside (open end) of a soft box for more diffuse fill.

Maruska, that's immensely helpful, just the kind of thing I was looking for.

here's another view of that large light on the left, if it helps to figure out what's going on in front of it.

attachment.php

Most of the larger lighting rigs and overhead scaffold set-ups in this studio are 'Mole Richardson' design (I think, it's been a while since I read up on this stuff)

Some studio history infos here, a very interesting read on what gear was still around from the 50's to 70's but search "mole" in the page for speed.

history of TV studios in London

Mole's site...

Mole-Richardson Company

Last edited:
Thanks Wavey, I think you're dead on with the Mole Richardson lights. I've found a ton that almost perfect match these two. I even found Mole Richardson's flickr page, which has scans of vintage spec sheets for their various lights.

Is it me... or is there NO lower instrument panel on the console in front of Han or Chewie?!!!!! Check it out! You can see both Mayhew and Ford's laps!

It's funny - I wondered if the lower part of the dash was removable even before I saw this photo.

Just in my own layout of a full scale cockpit, I noticed there wouldn't be much room for the rear passengers to have any legroom - so maybe they took away the dash for those front-on scenes when there were 4 actors in view?

Might explain the extra 15-18" of cabin length in ESB - it was for legs. Minor detail... :facepalm

You guys had me worried there for a second. A screen accurate cockpit that had no lower dash was too much for me to handle. heh.

if you mean, how long does it take to make the photomatches, well, sometimes hours, sometimes minutes. It all depends on the photo. It really drives me crazy sometimes, but it often pays off.

damned exciting stuff right?

Way to go on the interview Sofaking!

You guys had me worried there for a second. A screen accurate cockpit that had no lower dash was too much for me to handle. heh.

if you mean, how long does it take to make the photomatches, well, sometimes hours, sometimes minutes. It all depends on the photo. It really drives me crazy sometimes, but it often pays off.

damned exciting stuff right?

Way to go on the interview Sofaking!

Having worked in 3D I know it must be a pain - but you seem to lock in SO fast! We're both graphic artists... I'm very jealous of your skills! :)

Thanks for the kind words about the interview. I was SO nervous and as I mentioned, I actually forgot the name of the MF in the opening scene. LOL. But it was a lot of fun.

You were right! :)

Ok - maybe the dash with removable panels didn't happen - but you have to admit, that cockpit is tiny. Maybe Kenny Baker played more than just R2? Ever think of that?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back