Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Hey guys, off topic from the last few things I've been posting, but I thought I'd share it anyway. I was tooling around with little details here and there and I rebuilt my holochess table from a photomatch of the actual prop. Much much nicer now, as you can see.

Anyone know the exact dimensions of the set piece?

For the chess table, you should talk to Philip Wise (aka Rebelscum).
He nailed that in full size a few years ago.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/millennium-chess-table-s-finished-73616/

Nice work fitting the set into the ship exterior!
It looks like you made most of the same compromises I did when blueprinting the ship for my book(s). I did what I could to keep the areas seen on screen as accurate as possible and tweaked other official floor plans to fill out the rest.

thanks for the tip, and the compliments.

I referenced the layout in your Star Wars Blueprints Ultimate Collection extensively, in fact with very few adjustments. At some point, my model just goes to prove that your layout definitely works, well done, and thank you!

Here's a first look at my new and improved "imperfect" screen accurate ANH cockpit.

I'm redoing all the panels from scratch, mostly for the sake of total constancy. My old panels had some variety in piping widths, and buttons sizes (all within 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch variance) which were artifacts from my days first learning sketchup that I've always wanted to clean up. Harder to go around correcting it all where I find it, so I'm just going back to the beginning.

Also you might notice the round lighting effect on the buttons. I've cut holes behind the buttons, which are made of a semi-opaque material, and rear-lit them, as in the real set. I've always wanted to have this effect, and now I've got it (inspired by Sofaking's research in that area.) I also made the strip lighting with a similar semi-opaque material, and back-lit as well.

Enjoy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
considering that, in the plans, all the light strips were supposed to be the same size and match-up: wonky is putting it mildly. I do kind of love how off it is, really gives the old bird character, and makes the clean looking interior feel a little more connected to the boilerplate exterior.

The rendering is SPOT ON! Can you add a little bit of ambient light? Would love to see how that looks! Whats the render time?

considering that, in the plans, all the light strips were supposed to be the same size and match-up: wonky is putting it mildly. I do kind of love how off it is, really gives the old bird character, and makes the clean looking interior feel a little more connected to the boilerplate exterior.

I don't know, having to make it that "off" to make it accurate would probably give me a permanent eye twitch. :lol

Thanks Sofaking!

I'm still working out my lighting, but I plan to replicate the studio lamps that light the scenes in the movie (got some good behind the scenes material showing that layout.)

each shot takes a few hours to render to a satisfying point.

more to come soon, I hope.

Blobvandam.

I know what you mean. Sometimes, as I'm finding reference material, and adjusting the model accordingly, I'm thinking "C'mon guys, seriously? You couldn't think of a way to make that match up a little better?" But as it gets closer to the real thing, I get more satisfied.

Though, one of my biggest problems is that at some point I feel like I have to "show my work". That is, make some comparisons to show that I really made it that way, because the set was awkwardly re-constructed. And anyone looking at these later, without the knowledge that the set was imperfect will wonder why I screwed it up so much... heh.

Guess this one's for the folks who know the movie set really well... small crowd, but worth pleasing.

Blobvandam.

I know what you mean. Sometimes, as I'm finding reference material, and adjusting the model accordingly, I'm thinking "C'mon guys, seriously? You couldn't think of a way to make that match up a little better?" But as it gets closer to the real thing, I get more satisfied.

Though, one of my biggest problems is that at some point I feel like I have to "show my work". That is, make some comparisons to show that I really made it that way, because the set was awkwardly re-constructed. And anyone looking at these later, without the knowledge that the set was imperfect will wonder why I screwed it up so much... heh.

Guess this one's for the folks who know the movie set really well... small crowd, but worth pleasing.

When it comes to 3D graphics, the key to perfection is imperfection (as 3D graphics is too "perfect" by nature), so don't worry about that.

But make sure to do some side by side comparison shots so we can play "spot the render". :D

well, you'll be able to spot the render right away... that is until I build myself a screen accurate Han, Chewie, Luke and Ben... (heh, I have no skills in that area, but a guy can dream. I'll stay out of the uncanny valley for now.)

2d renderings would be fine even like the one you did for the falcon fly though was great as it shows both the scale and the does not distract form all your hard work Steve plus know body could ever not recognise the silhouette of a wookie lol!

You even spot differences on light strips between left and right side... very impressive !

I know you dont like hearing this... but I really do prefer the side where the bar lights are aligned. I say go for the ESB look... if you're accepting opinions. ;)

Heh, heh, c'mon now guys. the thread title is ANH cockpit, and ANH cockpit I'm gonna build, flaws and all.

For now that is...

I've got half an ESB cockpit underway, but knowing me, if I do an accurate ESB cockpit, I've got to do the corridors, and then the hold, and then the rest of the interior, and the exterior, and then probably echo base... and then hoth, why not (I've seriously considered importing the Norwegian shooting locations and building echo base into it...)

let me finish the first can of worms I opened when I foolishly started a screen accurate ANH cockpit...

I'm lovin the real world wonkyness there and if the model is actually on a flat horizontal line does this show a slightly higher roof and lowered floor on Chewie's side?

Usually such 'wonkyness' as the lights, don't get noticed. At least I think thats what the filmmakers count on. Little did they know that someone would scrutinize the design many many years into the future and discover how 'bad' it was.
I think it is fantastic that you stick with the original set. It's quite the detective work you've done so far. Which makes for a more satisfying journey in the end I guess.
Great work Steve!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back