Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Blobvandam,

I could do that, but what ends up happening is that, in order for it not to be too steep, it has to come out so far that the ramp becomes a weird wedge shape. That said, these stairs aren't final, so I'm still open to suggestion.

Yeah, I was afraid that may be the case (sometimes hard to judge unless you see it visually).

I got nuthin'.

thanks Junkpilot, I know that site well. The floorplan we're using references a number of those schematics very closely.

Blobvandam,

I put a two ramp configuration in first, and thought "oh, hey that doesn't look too steep, maybe we're in business" and then I measured it, and it's almost 45 degrees... "so stairs then", I thought to myself.

What would happen if you resized the outer hull to close that foot and a half space between outer and inner cockpit tube?

And for all familiar with B*squared's great work; the most important question: where will you put all those escape pods?

The hull would then be too small to contain the interior corridors. It wouldn't be impossible to re-size just the exterior cockpit tube and nose cone, but it would look pretty strange. Either way, the gap will probably be useful to give ample room for any wiring and lighting.

Hey S,

Just saw the renderings you posted. I can't believe there is THAT MUCH space between the cockpit walls and the outer hull - this solved my frame mounting problems! Thank you!

The ramp issue... In keeping with the appearance of the original full scale MF I think the original hinge point should be maintained. We could create a "collapsible" staircase that hides within the ramp? Then again, I guess it really doesn't matter. Once you're inside you're not going to be worried about the inaccuracy of the ramp/stairs... Most people will make a B-Line to the cockpit or the inner hull...

As I've said before, I think MOST people will forgive and understand the discrepancies between the full scale MF and the interior set designs. And if not... well... then they can't come over and play!

NOW... Who's up for Luke's full scale X-Wing sitting next to it?

The hull would then be too small to contain the interior corridors. It wouldn't be impossible to re-size just the exterior cockpit tube and nose cone, but it would look pretty strange. Either way, the gap will probably be useful to give ample room for any wiring and lighting.

Agreed! Not only wiring but ventilation as well. If this is going to be outside (not covered) it not only needs to be weather proof but also well ventilated and climate controlled. That will require extensive HVAC/duct work throughout the ship.

Not to mention the sound system speakers! :)

For comparison's sake (and to get back on topic to the movie sets a little bit) here's that same cross section of the ramp, but this time, of the movie set replica (from blueprints).

attachment.php

Looking at the studio ramp section, it occurs to me that if the Falcon was around 55 meters, it might be possible to have a similar ramp. But the trade off would be that you would have to have two decks with the top deck offset in an odd way and a switchback perimeter corridor to connect them to the re-evaluated corridors/ramps.

Oh wow! 'Ship of riddles' is right! Now that you've pointed that ramp thing out, I see something else.... How are there cargo holds in the floor? Is there room for them!? What about the long-ish ladderways to the top and bottom gunner chairs? And where could Chewie go in the ceiling, like in ESB? There doesn't seem to be room for any of that, does there?

I think the foot+ gap makes it more realistic. Space travel ain't like dustin crops. This thing can travel at light speed and has armor that withstands all kinds of stuff.

SteveS,

mighty fine work there, pilgrim. I am writing to suggest a possible option as an improvement to the ramp angle. FYI, I’ve been reverse engineering the “5- footer” hull for many, many years with the idea of scaling it up to “full size”, whatever it would end up being, so as to fit the interior as well…at least on paper if not in the flesh. Then, still a long time ago, I learned Bob Brown was essentially doing the same thing, and arrived at the now famous 114' length. by that time, I had enough particulars sorted out to determine that it was a very good estimation, and subsequently have worked toward that number. I am well aware the interior will not fit as shown on screen, though I have minimized the errors to a certain level (or levels, since I have various geometry options). One of the things I did to lower the ramp angle was to maintain the “low slung” set exterior height for the bottom of the ship, even though my version would otherwise be bigger than the set. The official landing gear blueprint shows a height of 5' from the “ground” to the bottom of the hull box, a very useful and solid number. Using this figure, I get a reasonable “ramp entry” height compared to the movies. The opening is a little taller, though not too much (IMO). I felt this was an important feature to maintain since the ramp entry point got a lot of screen time with events such as Chewie not making it up the ramp right away because he forgot C3PO was on his back and kept smacking the droid’s head on the entry bulkhead. Of course, you don’t have to do this, but it might improve things at least somewhat.

Mark

Does a 28 degree incline seem reasonable?

I took your suggestion, Mark, and it seems to have worked. I forgot that was an option. I had considered it a long time ago, and then promptly forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

SteveS,

yeah, about 28º is what I came up with. I don’t know how reasonable it is since it is steeper than a more comfortable 18º used in the movies. I did manage to get the ramp all the way in at that angle without stairs, though I used other tricks as well. I could lower the angle even more, but I’m afraid there would be way too much interior distortion for the gains, and I have plenty of distortion as it is.

It occurs to me that it would be a good idea to have some “anti slip” material applied to the surface of the ramp. No doubt Chris would do that anyway. I suspect that the movie set was ramps had this done as well. Also, for such a steep ramp, I would come up with some sort of hand rails on both sides of the ramp that looked like they belonged with the ship design.

I don’t know what the building codes are like where Chris is building this, but yet another consideration might be the height of the “opening” at the bottom, i.e., the distance from the top of the ramp pad to the underside of the bulkhead. A full sized ship will improve the height over the set’s height, but will it be enough? IIRC, most codes I have dealt with use a minimum height of 81". In my design efforts, I believe I get that, though not much more. Chances are, you would get that too.

Keep up the awesome work, sir.

Mark

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back