Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

I think the sacrifice is worth it! I don't think the masses will mind. Its not called the "Ship of Riddles" for nothing. We all know changes have to be made.

On another and more complicated note... Can you post or tell me the distance / gap (assuming inches) between the "side" cockpit panels and the outer cockpit hull? I'm trying to figure out what thickness of wood to use for the interior panels and this one dimension is preventing me from moving forward.

I hope this request makes sense. :)

Thanks

Well, I'll have to check the exact dimension later, but I can tell you that you have a TON of space, maybe more than a foot, between the panels and the exterior cockpit tube. I'll try to send you a cross-section elevation across the back wall of the cockpit, showing the exterior cockpit tube diameter, and the gap between the two measured (this will be assuming a basic interior back wall width of 8')

WOW! That much? I would have figured 5in tops! If you're saying its at least a foot than that answers my question. It leaves lots of room for wiring and anything else required. :)

Thanks!

Yep, it's a danged big gap.

Since we're on the subject, I'm attaching a preview of things to come.

This is a fully integrated model of the exterior and interior, and a prospective design for the real Full Scale Falcon. The overall length is 114'
This one doesn't have all the details yet: still working in the turrets, and the extra landing gear.

attachment.php

On closer inspection of the Full Scale ANH Falcon, there are engine brackets (the same we were just discussing which show up in the stardestroyer's gunning station) on top of the docking ring... kind of weird. Anyone familiar with the ANH Studio Scale Falcon know if this details shows up on that model? I know for sure that the filming models in ESB don't have them.

Here's the original MPC box art, which is a photo of the ANH model, where you can see the area in question:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/UncannyX/DSC02987.jpg

There are little bracket-like things there, but they are not the same parts as the engine brackets. They're much smaller and shaped different. The detail is also there on the ESB model, but also not the same as the engine brackets. The fullsize builders cut a corner for this one!

Hey S,

I noticed the ramp looks a little closer to the outer part of the hull. Is this to accomodate the new interior design? If so... I had an idea. Use the original ramp hinge location but add a "sub" or "mini" ramp that is attached to both the original ramp and new hinge point located inside. That way, the original look is retained.

Make sense?

thanks for the info on that Treadwell!

well what's especially weird is that, on the full scale falcon, there actually are normal small brackets on the underside of the docking ring which mimic the studio model perfectly. I wonder if there was a version of the studio scale model that had engine brackets on top of the docking ring, and they changed it before filming, but not before the full scale falcon had been built and shot. Possibly that version of the faclon had no dish? we may never know...

Sofaking,

That's the same idea I had, and it's what I ended up doing, but it still has to be at a weird angle to work, unfortunately. It's gonna have some funky parts for sure, but it'll be worth it.

Totally worth it! I cannot wait until the frame goes up! I am really pumped about this project! I think I need to win the lottery. lol

Hey Sofaking,

Looks like the gap is more like almost a foot and half. Basically the cockpit tube could be 6" thick and you'd still have tons of room for wires, lights, I dunno, real computers, speakers, whatever you want.

here's a section across the back wall of cockpit to show you what I mean.
attachment.php

and here, just for fun, is the ramp solution I had to use... Kind of sucks that I had to do stairs, but the angles are too extreme with out them.
attachment.php

Could you have an inner ramp that attaches at the end of the hallway, and rests over the main ramp, or is that too steep? Or is that idea just too stupid?

I really shouldn't be suggesting things. I really have no idea what I'm talking about. :lol

Hey Sofaking,

Looks like the gap is more like almost a foot and half. Basically the cockpit tube could be 6" thick and you'd still have tons of room for wires, lights, I dunno, real computers, speakers, whatever you want.

here's a section across the back wall of cockpit to show you what I mean.
attachment.php

and here, just for fun, is the ramp solution I had to use... Kind of sucks that I had to do stairs, but the angles are too extreme with out them.
attachment.php
if thats the case steve how did they get around this on the actual falcon was there more of the "well make it and no body will notice" or was the actual discrepancy due to what it should be if it were real ?

Seansheep,

on the actual movie set, the ramp goes up to a section of corridor (on ESB at least) which is too far in to the body, sitting almost directly under the turrets. So yes, "nobody will ever think of this ever again" hah, how wrong they were if they thought that at any point.

Blobvandam,

I could do that, but what ends up happening is that, in order for it not to be too steep, it has to come out so far that the ramp becomes a weird wedge shape. That said, these stairs aren't final, so I'm still open to suggestion.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back