Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Awesome project, i'm working on a cg falcon myself (based on the full scale falcon) and am finding it's not as easy as i thought. Most of the plans i believed to be from production tend to be early concepts and not the final plans from the movies. (like the episode 2 floorplans for the echo base hangar)

I also just found the above pic of the full scale falcon this week, and would love to see more like that if anybody has them:)

This is now my number 1 "to follow" thread on the rpf.

Hey Steve,

Is this piece something used on the exterior or interior of the Falcon sets?

7792076780_90228ff99c_c.jpg

Mark

LordHorus,

Great to meet a fellow FS Falcon model builder. I'm assuming you're build an ESB accurate Falcon? Do you have any renders of your work? I'd love to see them, please PM me if you like.

I've definitely noticed that no one production blueprint is actually dead on to what they built. I know there are a lot of "see revision" type notes all over them, but one would have hoped that someone kept the final drafts elsewhere. Though it is just possible that the reason they're all different is because they did redesigns on the spot as they were building.

Bradleyfett, it's nothing I recognize off the Falcon.

Hey Steve,

Is this piece something used on the exterior or interior of the Falcon sets?

Mark

I was just looking for that part, is it a found piece already?. There's a couple of versions of it - on the backpacks of the rebels on Hoth, inside the cannon power crates and the underside of Snowspeeders. I think the part's inner connector block maybe in the MF's cockpit but cant confirm. Almost sure I had a white plastic version of this part, either a light enclosure or the battery box on the back of a wall clock.

The Falcon tractor seat chairs are different in ANH and ESB. The ANH chair doesn't have holes like the ESB one (26 holes). There are several other construction differences too. The ANH has a foot rest crossbar and a more complex center support post. The ESB triangular tube base is one piece with a welded on vertical, while the ANH is two tubes that curve upward in the front forming the vertical.

The seats are at least based on naval and/or artillery gunner seats (if not actual surplus or scrap seats).
IAF Museum - 20mm Flakvierling 38
http://www.intergate.com/~u09204/battleships/bb55/bb55-35.jpg

It's possible the seats were set dressing left over from a previous war movie too.

SteveStarKiller,

I am indeed building a ESB Falcon, but mixing in a little of the studio scale model details.
I cant make the Falcon very high poly because i want to use it in a game engine like UDK, or use the content for a mod. (But i will be making a high poly model for normal map generation)

I'm just blocking out my scene before starting the real work, so not much to show atm, i'll pm you some early shots.

Your build is looking great, and it means more reference shots for me:)

something I've been working on with a few spare moments here and there:

attachment.php

attachment.php

and just to show off how close this gets to the real thing, check out this photomatch of the same model:

attachment.php

I'll mostly be referencing from the pre-special edition versions of the bay, from the original overhead shot with matte painting effect. However, thank you for posting that second picture. Looks like they fixed a lot of the idiotic changes they had made to the bay in the first special edition (pictured above it), and restored the left hand side to appear as the actual sound stage set appeared.

well, mostly anyway, weird that the catwalk in the foreground is removed...

the rest of the left hand side, however, looks the way the movie set did (I've been reviewing a lot of original behind the scenes clips.)

However, thank you for posting that second picture. Looks like they fixed a lot of the idiotic changes they had made to the bay in the first special edition (pictured above it), and restored the left hand side to appear as the actual sound stage set appeared.
The bottom image is my approach of fixing the incocistences with the studio set with the matte.
Not super accurate (and still wip) like yours but the idea is there.
The Falcon i used is very wrong to every aspect thats why im seeking more of your fantastic images to reconstruct the shots in higher resolution and fixing mistakes.

-Angel

Vaderios....... I'm deeply impressed. I'm not a big aficionado of the special editions, so I'm not too surprised that I didn't know it wasn't an actual screengrab, however, your work is extremely convincing.

Is it a cg model of yours, composited with the original shot of the soundstage?

Vaderios....... I'm deeply impressed. I'm not a big aficionado of the special editions, so I'm not too surprised that I didn't know it wasn't an actual screengrab, however, your work is extremely convincing.

Is it a cg model of yours, composited with the original shot of the soundstage?
Thanks for your kind words.
I indeed made a CG model of the surroundings. Using many screenshots and going back and forth to fix or add some stuff.
Most of the time im thinking of fixing or presenting a better SE or a better OT with a better consistency between shots. The hangar has some oddities that can trick you as well:behave.
You can check more of my work on fixing continuity errors between sets and mattes Concepts For A New Hope by AggeIw on deviantART some shots are outdated for sure.
Still on plans to fix them and release a proper edition someday. Your falcon is very handy to all if not most of the shots i want to recreate.

-Angel

Finally, Finally rebuilt the cockpit nose. That thing was driving me crazy, but now I'm much happier with it.

got a lot done on the interior of the deathstar hangar too, and I'll post some renders soon.

attachment.php

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back