Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Heh, the mower is as good as gone, as far as I'm concerned. Who needs a trimmed lawn when you've got a fullscale falcon exploding out of your garage!

a solution to the scale issue that I've been mulling over for a while would be to combine a half-falcon with a building. Possibly a large mirror could give the illusion of the other half of the falcon. When visitors would go up the ramp, they would enter a full scale interior that extended into the building. The rest of the interior of the building would be a museum for props and replicas. You would have to sacrifice the awesomeness of a falcon standing on its own in the middle of a field, but it would solve most of the looming "ship of riddles" conundrums for the build. Just a thought though.

That's a fantastic idea! The possibilities would be endless.

I still think that with enough mods, you could create a successful ergonomic hybrid. First off, the ramp would HAVE to become steps and of course a halway leading to the quads as opposed to just an "entry". I think it's totally doable. Sacrifices would HAVE to be made... But in all honesty... would anybody really care? The idea of seeing soemthing that massive for the first time would be amazing!

So... with that. Make it happen. :)

Factory floor fresh and picnicking at White Sands, New Mexico. Awesome.

Hah! nice one.

Well, maybe not factory fresh, with all those re-routed pipes. Maybe someone got a little carried away with a fresh paint job and whitewashed the windows. I had an apartment like that, where someone had painted all the kitchen cabinets shut.

SofaKing01 said:
So... with that. Make it happen.

Now that I've said the idea out loud, my brain is already working on a building plan, and I think I might just make a quick mock up for the hell of it. Chris might like it just on the basis of cost saving. He could build the exterior at literally half-price.

This is pretty danged satisfying, if I do say myself...

I'm seeing one or two things I need to fix, but feel free to point out anything glaring that I might have missed.

IMG]http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=110309&stc=1&d=1346174424[/IMG]

you could greeble the side of the building as if it was some kind of dry dock.

But losing the feeling of a complete Falcon, and ending up with something that was all too obviously stationary, would kind of ruin it. Might as well go big or go home.

ah well, back to my virtual build...

notice anything weird about the mandible greebles?

attachment.php

hmmm... I'm thinking something different.

Steve, did you bake the greeblies from the blockade runner wall modules into the material of the mandibles? Are they no longer actual polygons casting shadow? (I technique I applaud, btw).

Jaitea, Shaunsheep and Sofaking, you guys got it.

The thing is, the Full Scale half Falcon from ANH actually has them toed-out at that weird angle. The ESB FS Falcon is no help either, as she omits them altogether.

Also note that funny little stick-and-disk item on the nose between the mandibles (most visible on the "what a piece of junk" render a few posts back.) That also only appears on the ANH FS Falcon. I keep wondering if there was an analogous greeble on the studio scale model that broke off before filming (I also keep hoping to catch sight of it on one of the Falcon's flybys in ANH, but no luck so far.)

Thanks for playing "What's weird about this Falcon?"

Last edited:
PR Noyes

Nope, everything's still polygons. I have a tendency to be really uneconomical with my polys. For instance, all the white painted trim on my panels are built right into to geometry, which, as you can imagine, creates a ton of unnecessary vertices as the program breaks up the planes. I do this so I can edit the panels in-model, and don't have to switch back and forth with a texture editor.

That said, I do have plans to try out a displacement map on coves under the exposed pipes in the corridors of the falcon. There's a shredded foam material under the pipes in the real set that I have no interest in actually modelling. we'll see how, and when, that goes...

I'm dredging up an old part of this thread, so sorry for the side-track!

I suggest a different 'solution' to this (See quote below) question:

Perhaps the 'cargo' isn't containers or any other solid items; perhaps its something liquid or semi-solid (liquid metal, fuel, grain, 'spice')? Aren't there two circular ports inside the middle of the mandibles? Maybe the mandibles pull in some sort of holding tanks that then 'load' the stuff into interior holding tanks? The those huge pipes in the forward of the main hold would make a lot more sense. And the holding tanks could be just about anywhere in the ship that there is already 'wasted' or inaccessable space (like the wedge between the main hold and cockpit corridor).

Yes, I know holding liquid would make the Falcon more of a 'tanker' than a 'freighter'. Or would it? We're talking Earth terms here after all; there certainly could be some kind of cargo in between solid and liquid in the SW universe.

Plus, the main hold and rear holds would still be for the traditional kind of 'solid' cargo, therefore making the Falcon a rather versatile little 'freighter'.

Personally, I like this kind of solution rather than ignoring something we see on screen (like the entire front wall of the main hold with no doors).

Just a thought.

M

Basically, because there needs to be a room there. The mandibles are for cargo loading and where is the cargo supposed to go? Details on the model suggest a loading system on the inside walls of the mandibles (rails/tracks etc). Interior restrictions make it impossible to access that area another way except through the pipes (there are no other doors, or even unseen forward areas to add doors). The pipes themselves are kind of ridiculous if you think about it. They're huge and have no where to go. The aft ones dead end into the circuitry bay. The forward ones would shoot out the side of the ship.
Obviously Incredible Cross Sections set a lot of details. I hate that the ship was redesigned every time a new artist tackled it in the past and there's nothing major wrong with the ICS floorplan (certainly way better than any one before. Bob Brown even liked it for the most part) so I chose to stick with it, but "correct" what I could.

Also consider that without that room the entire front starboard side of the saucer would be wasted space with no way to access it.

I wish there was something that could be done about all the vertical issues with the ship, but that's just impossible.

PS - We originally planned to have a spread about the front cargo loading system detailing how the freight loading arms worked but we ended up not having any room for it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back