Nuke em, nuke em all! My BSG Munitions key

epilepticsquirl

Sr Member
Hi everyone

So i've been wanting one of these for the longest time. So I decided to have at it in Rhino. With my Glitch cog from Reboot coming out so well, I figure this would be a great next project. I've gotten the majority of the Key modelled, but would like everyone's opinion on it first.

Mind you this isn't the FTL key, this is the key used to Arm and Detonate the nuclear payload aboard galactica. First off we have the reference I used. There wasn't much else out there so this is what I mainly based it off of.

Here is my 3D version of roughly the same angle.

I tried to get it as accurate I could with the limited pictures available.
Here is a close up view of front portion of the key.

And a 4 View drawing showing things a bit better than the render could.

I guess my other question is what size approximately do you think the key should be? I know it's a decent size but not sure how long it is.

Thanks for your comments and crits!

Last edited:
Re: BSG Munitions Key Progress

So I did some rough calculations for the size of the key.

So I took this picture

p52246BG03del-coiljett-02v219.jpg

and i figure that, like me, Adama must be a mans man and have manly man hands. So I grasped my wallet in a similar fashion and measured from pinky to index; 2.75 inches.
I then measured the same distance of his hands on my screen and got about .75 inches. Then I measured the length of the key on the screen, about 1.5 inches. Since the proportions are the same, all I need to do is solve for X, which is what the key is. I used this super complicated formula that has been engraved in my brain since the dawn of my math education. Here's all my difficult arithmetic, just to show that I did the work.

X=5.5 inches

I hope I did the math right; i'm not it's damned therapist, math should solve it's own problems.
(I actually read that on a shirt from the ad banner on the RPF)

would that measurement look about right? Looking at it in on my ruler it sure does look fine. I'll print it up to scale and see how it looks in real life.

Last edited:

allright, so i just ordered a solid prototype be made. If that turns out well enough, I was thinking of getting one made that has the blades separate, sort of like in a kit form. I figure it would be easier to paint and prep without the blades in the way. Will post more progress as I get it!

Also, anyone know what that little electronic device thingy is? It looks like a pedometer to me. Will have to research that a bit.

it does look like a pedometer (i hate saying that word, sounds like a way of ranking a pedo on a scale lol). This key looks really cool.

So i've got some progress with the key!

Today UPS delivered me a package and the key that I had printed from Shapeways arrived. I got to say, I didn't expect this thing to be as smooth as it is! I'm more used to the old style first and second generation printers that leaved a lot to be desired. There is still some texture, but it's more like a rough 100 grit finish.

I think the blades need to be beefed up as well. They just seem a little too flimsy.

Bad news is, the key just isn't big enough. It seems I got the general shape of the key correct, but it doesn't feel like it's the same size as we see on screen. I think maybe a 15-20% increase should do the job. I'm going to go ahead and make the adjustments and get another one on the way. Until then, i'll think I'll mess with this one a bit more and experiment with different finishes. I saw some great results with chrome spray and think i'll give it a try!

thanks guys, unfortunately on this one I didn't bother to hollow it out. At the time I couldn't figure out where to have the hole so it would look presentable. On my next version, i'm going to have the blades of the key separate. That should cut down cost significantly!

Why not work out the scaling based on the case in the first picture above?
They most likely didn't have a whole custom case injection-molded just for the show.
Also, the instruction manual is most likely a standard paper size folded in half, 8.5x11 or 8.5 x 14. Edges may have been trimmed down.

My guess would fall around the 7 or 8" length, with blades.

I never thought of the paper that way. If that's the case, I wouldn't doubt that the key is indeed around the 8" mark. Thanks man! screw my overly complicated anaylsis of things, lol.

I think I have pictures of this key from the auction... Let me see what I can find...

I can also measure my FTL tonight if you want that for reference. I'm not certain they are the same size... But it'd be a good guess.

(Would have volunteered earlier, just found this thread...)

good lord man, that's beautiful!

looks like i'm going to have to redo the blades all together. The ridges aren't wavy like I originally thought, and the botttom blade is a different design all of it's own. It looks to be like a V or an X shape extruded. Furthermore, it looks like my bottom channel isn't quite deep enough, gunna have to improve on that. Kudos to you sir!

t... At the time I couldn't figure out where to have the hole so it would look presentable.

its true you need a hole on shapeways to connect an interior void to the outside. the actual size of the hole doesn't matter. they're not doing anythign with the hole. its just a feature of the software to be sure that their software recognizes its a hole, and not a second overlapping solid inside the part.

the hole can literally be .001" in diameter. you will not see it

Last edited:
didn't know that, thanks man. Quick question though, what happens to the support material on the inside of the object? does it stay in there or am I missing out on something here.

yup, it gets trapped if the hole is too small. if it's big, it will be manually removed, or disolved

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back