In praise of PULP FICTION

Although Samu-El's awesome answer is obviously just as good: "John did ask Quentin exactly what was supposed to be inside and Quentin said, 'Whatever you want it to be.'

"So I assumed it was something that, when people looked at it, seemed like the most beautiful thing they had ever seen or their greatest desire. When I looked inside, between scenes, I saw two lights and some batteries. What I would have wanted to see are the next ten films I'm going to do and hope they're all as good as Pulp Fiction."

But the one guy who doesn't even know Marcellus (In the diner) goes, "Is that what I think it is?"

Always liked the grail theory myself...explains how those mother ****in' bullets were stopped.

I always liked the theory that it was Marcellus Wallace's soul that was in the briefcase.

In regards to the first post, yea, that always made the movie more interesting. That and the band-aid on his neck was from where they extracted the soul. :)

So many things about the movie screwed up my childhood, but made my adolescence entirely enjoyable.

But the one guy who doesn't even know Marcellus (In the diner) goes, "Is that what I think it is?"

Always liked the grail theory myself...explains how those mother ****in' bullets were stopped.

Yeah, soul, Grail... either way that does seem like divine intervention. People see what they want to see.

I just figured it was one of your cryo-cans. :lol

I have to confess, I haven't seen this movie in *YEARS*.

Harry Potter alluded to the theme of the most desirable thing with the looking glass that reflected the hearts' desire.
I think there's an underlying mythological narrative but I don't have time to dig around for it right now.

So many things about the movie screwed up my childhood, but made my adolescence entirely enjoyable.

Well, let's have a list. :)

I'm impressed you had access to Pulp Fiction as a child. As a dad of a three-and-a-half year old, I guess I should start locking up my DVD cabinet and setting passwords on teh computer now, huh?

I have to confess, I haven't seen this movie in *YEARS*.

Yeah, but it's so quotable! :lol

Every time the family goes up to visit my father-in-law, I get up first and go get his NYT and make the coffee because I'm always up first. Got the paper and a hot mug waiting for him as he ambles down the stairs.

Every time... and I mean EVERY TIME... he takes a sip and gives the little salute Mr. Wolf gives for the callback to the Bonnie/good coffee speech QT gives.

Man, I'm going to miss that when the old crust finally kicks.

Well, let's have a list. :)

I'm impressed you had access to Pulp Fiction as a child. As a dad of a three-and-a-half year old, I guess I should start locking up my DVD cabinet and setting passwords on teh computer now, huh?

It was kind of a stealth mission to see it. That and Rocky Horror. I didn't understand either of them, but they gave me nightmares. With Pulp, it was the **** rape, the gimp, the story of the watch, overdose scene, other stuff like that. I also may have shouted the "English, do you speak it" scene to the spanish speaking kids in my 3rd grade class.

With Rocky Horror it was more the aliens eating people and dancing in heels. That didn't start being funny until I was maybe 14.

It was kind of a stealth mission to see it. That and Rocky Horror. I didn't understand either of them, but they gave me nightmares. With Pulp, it was the **** rape, the gimp, the story of the watch, overdose scene, other stuff like that. I also may have shouted the "English, do you speak it" scene to the spanish speaking kids in my 3rd grade class. .

Dang, see, this is what I mean. You saw Pulp Fiction in 3rd grade?

Ezekiel 25:17: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Love that part

"We should have shot guns for this."

That's an awesome one! I can't even tell you how much of that movie gets said by me on a regular basis, in my normal interaction with people.

"Man, I don't even have an opinion."

"Hey, you: flock of seagulls..."

"That is a tasty burger."

"That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten." I usually say "twenty," because everything in San Francisco is twenty minutes away from everything else, but most people who get it, get it.

"Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all." When you're married to a Jewish girl, this comes up a lot. :lol

"If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor." Actually, I say this all the damn time. I think I even put the whole thing up here once. Very useful, for a guy like me.

"Sorry, baby, but I had to crash that Honda." That, and the blueberry pancakes thing I say to the missus all the time.

Dang, looking at all these, I probably only quote Fletch and TOS more in regular day-to-day. Never did realize that.

I worked in a movie theater when this movie hit and was able to get in for free with a guest and get all the popcorn I could eat.
Opening weekend I was off on Saturday and watched it 3 times back to back because when I left the first and second one, I saw friends of mine waiting in line for the next showing and decided to join them.

Great cast with great chemistry. They worked the script to near perfection IMO.

People can talk as much smack as they want about QT, but they can never take away what he gave me with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

Am i alone in thinking the case was just full of dope,cash or gold or something along those lines ?
We are talking about gangsters here, it never even crossed my mind for a second about any hocus pocus crap like a soul or holy grail.

So many great lines but one of the funniest is.

Well, I'm a mushroom-cloud-layin' mother****er, mother****er! Every time my fingers touch brain, I'm Superfly T.N.T., I'm the Guns of the Navarone! IN FACT, WHAT THE **** AM I DOIN' IN THE BACK? YOU'RE THE MOTHER****ER WHO SHOULD BE ON BRAIN DETAIL! We're ****in' switchin'! I'm washin' the windows, and you're pickin' up this ******* skull!

Am i alone in thinking the case was just full of dope,cash or gold or something along those lines ?
We are talking about gangsters here, it never even crossed my mind for a second about any hocus pocus crap like a soul or holy grail.

Gangsters, sure. DEVIL GANGSTERS! The combo to the lock was 666.

And it's been a long time since i was in college, but all the dope, cash and gold I ever saw didn't glow with an unearthly, heavenly light.

Whatever's in there is awesome sauce.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back