True Grit remake

Wes R

Legendary Member
I'm not sure what to make of this. It's hard to beat a John Wayne movie but this one looks pretty good and I like Jeff Bridges' movies for the most part. It's going to be grittier that's for sure.

It's not a remake. The Coens revisited the bestselling Portis novel and adapted it with their own take. It's like the Black Bird and the Maltese Falcon, or Sy-Fy's Dune versus Lynch's. Totally different animals.

All the early reviews indicate that the Coens' version has eclipsed the 1969 one and will likely win a trunk load of rewards.

Ah i thought it was a remake. It helps that you can get away with more these days on film than you could back then. Some books back then had stuff in them you just couldn't show.

The movie was a fair bit softer than the book, so yes, True Grittier.

I am looking forward to this, far more so than when I thought it was just a typical remake.

I love this poster:

true_grit_movie_poster_02.jpg

If it's not a remake why is it called True Grit? Sounds like a typical 'take a famous title and make up some crap' production. They could have easily made a cowboy movie without that name.

True Grit was a great movie with a great cast. They can't better it.

It's not a remake. The Coens revisited the bestselling Portis novel and adapted it with their own take. It's like the Black Bird and the Maltese Falcon, or Sy-Fy's Dune versus Lynch's. Totally different animals.

All the early reviews indicate that the Coens' version has eclipsed the 1969 one and will likely win a trunk load of rewards.

Or "Manunter" and "Red Dragon", both based on "Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris.

If it's not a remake why is it called True Grit? Sounds like a typical 'take a famous title and make up some crap' production. They could have easily made a cowboy movie without that name.

True Grit was a great movie with a great cast. They can't better it.

I love the original, but Glen Campbell (c'mon)?

Not typically a remake fan but I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys do with it.

Anything that may bring back some decent westerns is okay in my book.

Doug

I loved the original True Grit, and I'm not sure about the new adaptation.

I think it'll be awesome, no doubt, but ... you just can't replace John Wayne. I'd chant one of his lines from that movie when I'd go to group counseling with my dad. "Fill your hands, you sonuva *I'm sure they'll censor that out anyway*" Wayne's energy and delivery of every single one of his lines were astounding. I saw the movie when I was maybe 4. Didn't understand any of it, but John Wayne caught my attention.

Now that he's not there, it'll be like there's an empty space in my heart. :(

IMO it's difficult to make comparisons between Jeff Bridges and John Wayne because their acting styles are so different. In the last two decades alone Bridges has created some characters on film that were so distinct and different that they almost made you forget you were watching Jeff Bridges. On the other hand, John Wayne...well, let's face it, regardless of the role he's still John Wayne, a persona he worked very hard to create and maintain.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back