Original ANH Stormtrooper helmet and Armor - Just the Facts

Sorry but I'm not going to pass the blame on to any one else he and he alone is responsible for his actions as a full grown adult... The claimed peer pressure, prospect of making money and passing the blame to another is simply a week excuse for people who don't and won't owe up to their own ill actions... For me it holds little to no water, especially for a guy that is a full fledged adult, not some 8 year old child... AA is a big boy, he is well aware of his actions and what he is doing and no body is responsible for pulling his strings except himself...
It's not passing the blame. He is all those things, but up until he was approached, he did not have a clue about the fact that he could make money off these things.

We can thank those who introduced him to the community and the prospect of making big bucks on selling these things for all that and that he'd sell more with grand stories and claims irregardless of truth, even when proof was shown it was lies.

And lo and behold - he still sells even though his lies are being shot down with truth.

I don't see why everyone is so surprised he keeps selling. I, like all of you, wouldn't dream of buying from him but we're not exactly his target market. AA used to advertise in magazines like 'Zoo' and other lads' mags. Not exactly the collectable/replica market, more of a 'look at me in my Star Wars helmet' market. Now his profile is so strong due to the court cases it's impossible not to have heard of him. Hell, if you do a Google search for 'stormtrooper armour' the first thing you get is AA's site.

More importantly, whilst I'm here I would like to thank Brian for ensuring credit goes to where it is due.

Last edited:
He sells because he is easy to find.
You don't need to be a member of a costuming group to find his gear.
It is not always easy to find a suitable costume to allow you to join some of the costuming groups, and most will not openly discuss armour sellers with non members.
Because of this people like SDS and the recasters on E-bay will always manage to sell stuff.

I have no objection to him selling but he should at least give credit for the design to the original artist.

Craig

He sells because he is easy to find.
You don't need to be a member of a costuming group to find his gear.
It is not always easy to find a suitable costume to allow you to join some of the costuming groups, and most will not openly discuss armour sellers with non members.
Because of this people like SDS and the recasters on E-bay will always manage to sell stuff.

I have no objection to him selling but he should at least give credit for the design to the original artist.

Craig

Exactly not everyone wants to join costuming sites and play dress-up at the weekend, that's not who he's aiming at or really selling to.
He's just selling to the big boys toy market, people who have no interest in hunting around on the internet or joining this that or the other club or forum.
It's also ready out the box another plus to these people, they don't want to waste their time messing about with glue,velcro and elastic they just want something cool to stick in the corner of the room and minimal fuss.

Daily Mail online 7th March 7th March 2011

From a galaxy far far away to a battle in court: British designer in fight over Star Wars stormtrooper copyright

It has terrified a generation of film-goers since it was created in a galaxy far far away.
But now the The Star Wars stormtrooper is involved in a battle closer to home at Britain's Supreme Court.
Film-director George Lucas is attempting to take British designer Andrew Ainsworth, who made the first replica helmets, to court to try and stop him from continuing to make and sell them.

The film tycoon's company Lucasfilm claims Mr Ainsworth, from Twickenham, is breaching copyright.
Mr Ainsworth is arguing that he made the original helmets, seen in the film, based on 2D artwork before eventually perfecting the design and creating a further 50 helmets and other body armour

He then began selling the helmets in 2004 to fans attending fancy-dress parties.

After some of the items sold in the US, Lucasfilm successfully sued Mr Ainsworth for $20m and tried to get the judgement enforced and establish copyright in the UK.
But the case was thrown out after judges in the High Court and the Appeal Court rejected the idea the helmets were the equivalent of sculptures and ruled that the items were industrial props rather than artworks.
The decision comes as a huge blow to the Star Wars market which has raked in an estimated $7bn since 1977.
Lucas is now taking his fight to the UK's highest court to overturn the decision.
Steven Speilberg, James Cameron , Jon Landau and Peter Jackson are among those said to be backing him.

According to the Independent Sunday, in a letter due to be submitted to this week's hearing, Spielberg said: 'The court was wrong in this case and has placed the UK at odds with the world community and, perhaps most disturbing, the creative community.
'This ruling must be reversed.'
The Lord of the Rings director, Peter Jackson added: 'The UK's long-standing reputation as a creative hub and a centre for film production is significantly threatened.
'To assert a film's props and visuals are not the product of an artistic endeavour and therefore not worthy of copyright protections is ridiculous.'

However Mr Ainsworth said he originally created it.
'The copyright for three-dimensional work is invested in me but I didn't do anything about it for 30 years, as English people don't. 'We won in the High Court and the Appeal Court, but he has got so much money he can convince the Supreme Court it's got to be done again.
'What he is after is to change the law, to change European law,' said Mr Ainsworth.
A Lucasfilm spokeswoman said: 'These works of art should receive the full protection of UK copyright law, just as they do in the rest of the world.'

Found this quote from newspaper - 'Independent on Sunday'

Mr Ainsworth remains defiant. "I created it all originally and he made a film of it"

Last edited:
:lol What a lying POS! :lol

I hope he ends up in a barrel outside on the green with a "will lie for food" sign.

Thanks for the update Brian.

Mr Ainsworth remains defiant. "I created it all originally and he made a film of it"

And now he's no longer fighting to save his own ass... he's fighting to protect UK and European laws. Jeez... that's what you call conceited and delusional. :rolleyes

motivator17c7013d498855.jpg

i hate that the fact that he didnt actually sculpt the helmets and armor is not whats actually being argued anymore. have they come to the conclusion that he did sculpt it? and that he just shouldnt be able to reproduce them anymore? cuz thats what that update made it sound like.

His claim is that he has sculpted it and that the entire look was HIS vision and not Liz and Brian's hard work from Ralph McQuarrie's art. I believe that is what is leading to his claims.

His claim is that he has sculpted it and that the entire look was HIS vision and not Liz and Brian's hard work from Ralph McQuarrie's art. I believe that is what is leading to his claims.

but is that being challenged? it soundes like its just about being able to sell the costumes.

i hate that the fact that he didnt actually sculpt the helmets and armor is not whats actually being argued anymore.

It has no bearing on the court issues at this point, once the courts ruled it industrial design, the copyright had expired so they didn't pursue who 'had' owned the copyright as it was ruled expired and thus no ownership at this point...

Yes thanks just googled and found out about the 3 day arguments.

Still hoping for a day by day recap though! :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back