Anh Star Destroyer Devestator Parts Map

I tried updating the picture as I missed a couple of pieces & they don't seem to be able to be put back into the thread. Looks like the settings have been altered or something...

Jason: isn't there a function prohibiting posting the same pics twice on the site? Haven't run into it myself but I've heard others talk about it. Maybe you have to change the jpg name or size to get around it?!

Jason: isn't there a function prohibiting posting the same pics twice on the site? Haven't run into it myself but I've heard others talk about it. Maybe you have to change the jpg name or size to get around it?!

I deleted them & then reloaded in order. I will try changeing the name this afternoon & see if that works. Its much better to have the pictures in the thread.

Nup they changed the settings. I tried loading a completely different picture in a completely different post. Resised the old ones & changed the names.........

Bump
I have updated the first maps of the Bridge.
There is only one piece eluding us.
The piece that sits in the middle of the Bridge Radar Beams.
Its a ribbed piece & very distinguishable.
If any one knows this piece we would be very greatful.
Picture attached :confused
attachment.php

I will be updating the other maps over the weekend which are 99% now complete.
Also attached is a color map of the bridge Face.
Hope it helps :ninja
attachment.php

Am now working on the Upper Structures which I have found many parts.

Bump
I have updated the first maps of the Bridge.
There is only one piece eluding us.
The piece that sits in the middle of the Bridge Radar Beams.
Its a ribbed piece & very distinguishable.
If any one knows this piece we would be very greatful.
Picture attached :confused
attachment.php
The ribbed piece is scratch built using very small strips glued to the parts. When having the antenna in the down position, as it exists today, the ribs that are on top and bottom have one short rib every other rib. There are 25 ribs. The part itself––which are 2 parts of a stand from the Hasegawa Akagi glued together to make an "X" shape––has to have the outer edge sawed off each before the ribs can be glued to it.

Here's how mine turned out after 3 hours of work...

Antenna.jpg

It was really hard to work with such tiny pieces, even though the ribs should be even thinner than what I have. But, with a little patience, the result is very gratifying.

Last edited:
Just scored the Hasegawa 1/450 HMS Vanguard & 3 other early OOP Hasegawa 1/450 kits for a very good price.
The one I was after was the Vanguard which is used on the Devestator & extremely rare.
Getting the other 3's an awsome bonus.

Hi Jason,
Unless this is a re-tool like the Akagi, I hope you didn't pay more than this is going for!! :unsure
LuckyModel.com - Finest Plastic Model Kits and Accessories

Cheers and good luck with the rest of the ID's, John

Bump for awesomeness ID work and mapping,is this going to continue?
Ive started collect the kit slowly...

I'd certainly like it to continue. :) I've been pouring over kits myself recently, and I'll post any new finds that I come across.

I'm moving ahead with the photogrametric approach (apologies for my slow progress) for the overall proportions and I'm starting to see some interesting results. The downside to using photogrametry is that you're at the mercy of the quality of the photographs available. Have a look at an early version of the geometry that I was able to glean from some of the images available online:

Even in this rough state it's fairly straightforward to take some reliable measurements for the length of the hull etc. but I'd like to work from a more concise and complete result.

There are a lot of images out there but only a limited number qualify for this approach unfortunately. In order to yield the best results, the photography has to meet the following criteria:

1. All of the surfaces have to be recorded from multiple angles. This goes without saying - I'd expect to use at least a few hundred images on a subject such as the Devastator for the best result, using multiple captures.
2. Each image should have at least a 50% overlap with other neighboring images.
3. The lighting has to be consistent. The lighting should be identical from image to image, which means no flash photography for the best results. A challenge here considering that the model tends to be exhibited under low-light conditions. Which brings us to the next point,
4. Wide depth of field. The images should have as wide a depth of field as possible. The more of the subject that is in focus in each image, the better the result. Again, a challenge in a low light environment without a flash and without cranking the ISO to such a point where the images become too grainy/noisy.
5. Variety of POV. Closeups and longer shots work hand in hand.
6. No reflective/transparent surfaces: the Devastator excels here - luckily the bluescreen photography limitations in the mid 70s provide us with an optimum shooting surface for our purposes as well. :)

The exhibit containing the model has recently made it's way to the Indiana State Museum:

Indiana State Museum > Plan Your Visit > Exhibitions

Has anyone here gone to see the exhibit? Or can confirm that the prop is on display (it appears to be: http://www.flickr.com/photos/flesworthy/sets/72157633785807970/with/8894665411/)? If so, I'd love to get as sense as to how the model is being displayed and under what conditions as I plan to make the trip down in order to gather material. Does anyone know what the best time of day/week is best to go to avoid a crowd, and what, if any, restrictions they have on photography? Am I going to get any grief if I spend a couple of hours hovering around the display with a tripod? Ideally I'd spend a couple of sessions, once shooting the model, assessing, and then returning to fill in any gaps and/or to make any necessary adjustments to my approach having gone over the images.

That said, I'd also be happy to graciously accept any assistance that anyone in the area might be able to provide (additional photography, etc.). :)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awesome post to wake up to.:thumbsup I remember chatting to you about this and im glad you continuing with it.
The video look's incredible and this process has the potential for that next step in supper accurate scaling of the models.
Well done.

What an awesome post to wake up to.:thumbsup I remember chatting to you about this and im glad you continuing with it.
The video look's incredible and this process has the potential for that next step in supper accurate scaling of the models.
Well done.

Thanks, yeah, I think that it's going to work out. Like I'd mentioned to you earlier, I'd like to make available to the community at large all of the images that I'll be collecting as well as the findings for the dimensions.

Moving along, how am I doing so far?

SD_Devastator_side_superstructure_research4.jpg

I've just been overwriting the same file with updates, is that the best way to go? Is it better to maintain a list of the changes in the edit? Or to add a new post with a new image whenever there is an addition?

Edit: Updated image.

Last edited:
what a great thread!
Thanks all, for sharing such great information
Stonky, I may have over-looked it here , but what software are you using for the Photogrametry?
nice work!

I hate to sound lazy, but has anyone done a set of blue-prints/schematics outlining the basic core shapes/superstructure of the Devastator?
thanks

Thanks! I'm using 123D Catch and I'm looking into Photomodeler as well. I'm hoping to come away with exactly that - a set of accurate blueprints/schematics for the model. Like I had mentioned earlier, I'm trying to do as much preparation ahead of a planned trip down to photograph the model in the exhibition so that I know what I need before I get there.

Update:
SD_Devastator_side_superstructure_research5.jpg

Sounds very cool,

Thanks for the info.

I'm headed to the Star Wars exhibit up in Ottawa for a similar recon trip
haven't laid eyes on the X-1 TIE since 1996 in San Francisco -also going for other ships too

I'll take a page from your book on color balancing etc for the pics...Hope I come back with something worth sharing
I have a fairly mediocre camera these days.

Thanks, yeah, it's going okay, so far so good.

I'm meaning to get up to the exhibit with the X-1 TIE in Ottawa this summer as well - I'm looking forward to seeing what you come back with! If I get there after you and you miss something, let me know and I'll try to get it for you.

Incidentally, there are some errors and omissions in the images and kit lists that start this thread, maybe I should post some updates/addendums...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back