Sculpey technique questions...

Gutshot

So the other day I was watching asavage's TED video about obsession, his dodo, and his Maltese falcon... again. In there, he mentioned having a friend that could get the nice smooth finish on sculpey, but no knowing the secret. I must admit, I am not privy to this bit of information either. Can anyone enlighten me? Adam, have you perchance learned the secrets?

For that matter, how do I get a smooth finish on plastilina? I've been digging about the site and can't seem to find any good answers to either question. Please help, I'm clueless!

sculpty is a tough one. I know some folks on here who use it and i've found to get a nice finish you have to gently massage it with your fingers (I practiced on a scrap peace) and it will get a sheen to it. You still have to worry about finger prints it seems though.

I'm not a fan of sculpty... the couple of times I've used it was easy to work with But once it was baked, I noticed the sculpt would develop fractures and cracks over the next couple of months.

I personally used paint-thinner or rubbing alcohol to smooth the sculpt.

I've found that even a very dense brush with fine bristles leaves streaks when using alcohol, so I tend to use the densest sponge I can find, cut up into shapes and sizes to squeeze into the spaces I need.

But I'd say do what you plan on doing: Experiment! It's the best way to learn. Try different application techniques, and even different solvents. Goo Gone works for some people...and leaves a lovely orange scent. Other people swear by acetone. I even talked to a guy who used HOT water on a sponge.

As for tools, but some tongue depressors and popsicle sticks. A good sharp pair of scissors and an exacto knife can form those two types of sticks into any tool you could ever need...well just about.

Good luck, and have fun!

-Nick

Be way is to use naptha (lighter fluid, White spirit) and use a really soft brush, either a water colour brush or a make up brush work well

I've not used 'neat' Sculpey, but I have used Sculpey mixed with Fimo brand polymer clay, as it's much firmer (if a little dry when first starting to work it).
I sculpted 1" tall custom Mego action figure heads.

I always used isopropyl alcohol and a small flat model paint brush to eliminate fingermarks and soften edges. Sometimes smoothing most of the marks off with a finger or side of the thumb is a good way to start, particularlyon a curved clay surface.

I've also used a round brush with the bristles trimmed off square to 'stipple' on a very fine texture.
Be aware tho - the alcohol will soften the clay quite a bit - if you have fine, sharp detail it could cut it back a little too much if you apply a lot of the alcohol.

C.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back