Opinions on casting supplies from Michaels

CB2001

Master Member
Before I begin, I know a few of you guys, when casting resin pieces or full fledge props, most of you go with the professional grade mold making materials. And I know I tend to ask a lot of questions about prop making materials and methods (but I tend to ask because I'm always hungry for info. And you know the old saying about how "knowledge is power").

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of you utilize some of the stuff from TAP Plastics, or another well known professional quality mold and resin materials. But, I'm curious about some of the materials available at Michaels. I know that most would recommend getting the professional stuff, but since I'm still starting off as a prop maker (as I've only done paper prop stuff and have not yet made my first real prop), I'm trying to ween myself off the training wheels carefully (so to speak).

I keep seeing stuff like Castin' Craft's clear casting resin, Castin' Craft's Mold Builder and Mold Release & Conditioner, Webster Group 3-D Gel and Activa's InstaMold in the same isle of adhesives. Now, I've asked a question like this about the Mold Builder before at Starship Modelers a long time ago and got some responses about that from the users of that forum, but I'm curious about other RPF users and their opinions on such materials.

Are there any users here who have used the materials listed? If so, what's your opinions of the listed supplies (pros/cons)? And are they as good as they say they are for making molds and casting pieces?

For me, Michael's has always been notoriously overpriced. If you're new to things, I'd get a couple different trial kits from smooth-on and just experiment to see what works for you. The kits are 20-30$ and will give you a solid idea of what you're working with. Learning with overpriced materials, then switching over to pro-grade stuff would be going around your elbow to get to your thumb if you ask me.

Got to step forward and caution against Michael's and even Hobby Lobby for that matter. The materials perform so poorly, I am afraid you might get discouraged too early. With more experience, a lot of patience, and some unconventional techniques the craft store stuff will work in a pinch. The SmoothOn kits are very forgiving and give good results right away.

So far, thanks for the info guys. I guess this means doing supplies from Michaels (or Hobby Lobby or even Joanns) is not recommended.

Honestly, I've heard of some alternate methods of making silicone molds on the cheap (one of them I've heard is using marine silicone. Another is using some 100% silicone from hardware stores {which requires adding multiple layers in one way I heard}), but I don't know how reliable those methods are. But, I'm always looking for info on things like this.

If you buy from Michaels be sure to use a 40% off one item coupons. That is the REAL price.

Now for using to make resin casts.......I would just use it to make those novelty ice cubes with bees or flies or worms embedded inside. That is about all it is good for!!!!!!

I've mostly used stuff from micromark but they're expensive and this last batch i didn't have good luck with when it came to resin. I'm going to try smooth on next.

I love me my Smooth On. Check with them first to see if they have a local distributor so you don't end up paying $40.00 in shipping like I did when I purchased directly from them online............................!

I found a local distributor in my area that sales it for about $24.72 for a trial. Not to mention they've got different models, such as 300, 320 and 385.

Smooth on is here in PA so it would be nice if i could just go and get it. Right now i'd be happy to get a cheap kit from michaels for the small stuff but nearest one is an hour away and Pat Catan's doesn't carry this kind of thing.

FYI Hobby Lobby carries Alumilite resin and silicones and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, they are every bit professional...

But as for the other generic consumer stuff like Castin Craft, it's garbage and IMO not worth the money or aggravation...

And yes always use a coupon, if you get the Alumilite resin or silicone at Hobby Lobbly, they will honor Michaels, JoAnn and of course their own 40% coupon they have online almost every week...

Also if you have a Blick aka Dick Blick they carry Smooth On, and check around you likely have a hobby shop (Hobby Town USA carries Alumilite) or local plastics supplier that carries the professional grade stuff...

I have a container of alumilite but i need more activator sa the container of it leaked when my buddy gave it to me (it was free so i couldn't complain).

Well, in my area, I know of one hobby shop that isn't just dedicated to one field (there's one in Altamonte that is strictly RC vehicles) called Colonial Photo and Hobby (which does has some supplies for scratchbuilding, handles everything including models, RC vehicles, model railroad and photography. I can't remember if they have mold making supplies or not). And according to Yahoo!Locals, there's a Hobby Lobby in the area (so I'll have to check . No Blick listed in the Orlando area.

There is also a Hobby Town USA in the area...

Locate Store | HobbyTown USA

They carry Alumilite...

Yeah, they must have open the store really recent. The last time I was in the area where the store is, there were several storefronts being worked on construction wise. Since this was a couple of months ago, it must have been opened recently.

I'll definitely go there and check it out.

I'll definitely go there and check it out.

Phone first, the one by my carries Alumilite but it's not the best stocked item and it's usually tucked on the bottom shelf under the X-acto knives or somewhere out of site collecting dust... I have only used them when I was in a bind as I purchase resin by the 5 gallon buckets, the little kits just don't cut it anymore but for starters they are great... I personally prefer Alumilite over Smooth On at least for the resins...

Phone first, the one by my carries Alumilite but it's not the best stocked item and it's usually tucked on the bottom shelf under the X-acto knives or somewhere out of site collecting dust... I have only used them when I was in a bind as I purchase resin by the 5 gallon buckets, the little kits just don't cut it anymore but for starters they are great... I personally prefer Alumilite over Smooth On at least for the resins...

Thanks for the info. :)

I've been a huge fan of Smooth-On ever since I began casting my own small scale models. As for products from Michaels, the only thing of note is a product called Smooth-On. I've used it in scenery a bunch of times and recently used it with a bunch of lighting effects on stationary stuff; so, it's really nice in a non-moving application, but I'm not sure how well it'd hold up under any kind of movement.

I've checked out the Hobby Lobby today and they have the Alumlite kits on the shelf (in the same isle for miniature models (for dioramas and stuff). They had a mini casting kit with 8 oz. of solutions, Mold Putty, Super Foam 320, High Strength 3 and a Super Casting Kit (which is actually the most expensive item at $69, with everything else being less than $30). I don't understand the differences between them (except that the Super Foam 320 apparently is use to fill in cavities in items to re-enforce their structural integrity). So, what's the differences between the mini casting kit, Mold Putty and High Strength, short of the size, that Mold Putty doesn't require mixing in a cup, and pricing? And which works best?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back