Well boys and girls do you think the web-head will make a wave on broadway

Who fronts the money for this crap! I mean I can't get a loan but some how, someone got the green light to blow 65 mil on this.

I think that Spidey and New York go together. I don't know what the seats would cost, but I would go see this. It HAS to be better than Spiderman III!

They should have known they were biting off more than they could chew when they ran out of cash the first time.

Stern was talking about this today saying the production preview was a mess. Actors were hanging all over the place, suspended by wires, unable to get down - even Spidey got stuck.

The way he was describing it sounded like that Alec Baldwin + Will Ferrell skit in SNL "Red Ships of Spain" where they play the Robert Goulet brothers. But, I'd go see it if I got free tickets - or my son wanted to go.

I saw this on the news. I thought it was cool they were using the same rigs that the NFL uses for it's cameras to pull the actors all over the theater and into the audience, but a 65 million dollar production cost and a million dollars a week operating cost will probably doom it from the start. They said they'd have to completly sell out for months just to break even.

Every new thing I see about it makes me wish more and more that it Was a joke. I mean literally, not just the figurative joke it seems to be now.

On a more serious note, I think it's a mistake to say broadway and superheroes go together just because of the bright costumes and heightened drama. Things used to make plays crazier and more flamboyant are done in superhero comics because of limitations of the media. You need the heightened drama to keep people coming back and actually remembering the scant 20 pages they read a month ago and the bright colors started more because of how low quality printing was at the time a lot of these characters were created and the need for them to stand out from the background and each other. At this point the costumes are more either a) fun for nostalgic value or maybe a specific visual aesthetic (that one being why we overprotective nerds always complain when they change the costume for the movie or, in this case, do i don't even know what to the Green Goblin) or b) just another thing to get past on the road to suspension of disbelief. Kinda takes the legs out from under the main argument in favor of this play existing and it just seems to refuse to stop looking like a growing mistake.

Today's Metro, a free daily, has a big Spidey feature. If you flip it over and then upside down it's the Daily Bugle. There's a huge spread on the first two pages about the show, so they're plugging the hell out of it. For $65 mill, my guess is it tanks. Tourists keep shows like this alive, and we get a lot of them, so who knows.
dailybugle.jpg

I could forgive the the technical problems considering what they're trying to accomplish (which looked really cool on that 60 Minutes segment about it.)

Heck, I think most folks could forgive some startup technical glitches but the complaints about the story related issues could do more serious damage I think. Sounds like a case of "can't see the forest for the trees" sort of thing to me...

Getting the technical stuff worked out should be easy compared to that problem.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back