Star Wars the novel (before it was a movie)

Sigma-LS

Sr Member
Picked this up for $0.50 at a book store over the Thanksgiving weekend. I was ho humming through the old Star Trek paperbacks and found this guy mixed in. I just had to chuckle at the old "Soon to be a spectacular motion picture" on the back.:lol

I'm digging the old concept Vader.

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

Picked this up for $0.50 at a book store over the Thanksgiving weekend. I was ho humming through the old Star Trek paperbacks and found this guy mixed in. I just had to chuckle at the old "Soon to be a spectacular motion picture" on the back.:lol

I'm digging the old concept Vader.

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

it's a great piece for the Star Wars for the SW collection, too bads its in crap condition.

"A Novel" is being generous.

A "novelization" at best. Ghost written by Alan Dean Foster, if rumors are accurate.

But cool find.

Last time i saw a copy it was $40 in a shop in Berkeley about 15 years ago.
I have a copy of Buckaroo Banzai that usually runs $40 to $60 at the Cons.

Wow, I haven't seen that in years. I had a copy myself as a young lad.

I also seem to remember the graphic novel (or comic book as they were called back then) version which featured a few extra scenes, too.

"A Novel" is being generous.

A "novelization" at best. Ghost written by Alan Dean Foster, if rumors are accurate.

But cool find.

exactly.

SW was never just a book. It was always intended to be a movie. This novel is simply a novelization of the script.

It's definitely a neat item...it's just that people always think SW was based on this early novelization the way other movies are based on books like Jaws or whatever and that really isn't the case.

-John

SW was never just a book. It was always intended to be a movie. This novel is simply a novelization of the script.

It's definitely a neat item...it's just that people always think SW was based on this early novelization the way other movies are based on books like Jaws or whatever and that really isn't the case.
Exactly - I remember back in 7th grade, right after Empire came out in theaters, some yutz in our class claimed he had a copy of (out-of-print, of course) Journal of the Whills... never could produce the thing for us, obviously... :)

It funny when I first saw the book. I thought the Vader head was a spaceship that the four characters in the image were exiting.

I thought Luke's landspeeder had a wheel-shape sticking out the front of it based on the pic in the book. Turns out, it was one of the engines. :lol There's also a pic of Vader everywhere where it looks like he has a huge chin if you look at it a certain way. I got the hardcover, but it was later on, so a different pic on the cover.

It funny when I first saw the book. I thought the Vader head was a spaceship that the four characters in the image were exiting.

I will never look at the end of Spaceballs quite the same.

Thanks for the extra info guys. I had seen the KropSerkle's Vader before but never the one from the book. What brilliant execution.

Much agreed that it would have been a wonderful re-imagining and a cool homage in the prequels. But hell, just tossing in a few Victory Star Destroyers, Z-95 Headhunters, Y-wings, or Dreadnoughts would have greatly improved my opinion of RotS

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back