Mighty Morphin Power Rangers communicator

EVILgreenranger

TODAY ON POWER RANGERS.!!.
EVILgreenranger shows off his custom communicator.!!.

whats goin on guys?
i'm pretty new to this forum but i've been lookin around on it for awhile now.
i figured this would be a good place to post this also.
i'm more active on rangerboard & debuted my newest custom recently.
i used a watch made by hope watches to resemble the rangers communicators, only the face though is made to match the communicators.
the bands that came on the hope watch were totally different, but they gave the same bent metal bodied band only with a screen screwed onto it with the MMPR logo.
the bands i used were from another replica communicator made by starlight.studios.
all i did was cut out the colored sections of it so i could add the inserts for the certain colored ranger i would want it to be.
there is other watches out there that have the same bands already cut out but starlights are chrome while the other are dull steel or smoked chrome looking.
you'll see in the reference pics.
another little bit to add would be the yellow 'set' button, i do have one to add also made by another prop maker, but the communicators are also screen accurate with or without it.
also sorry about the pics being discolored my camera seems to be on the fritz, the green sometimes looks blue or pea green.
anyway onto the show.!!.

the start after all work done as far as grinding drilling etc, now ready to do the inserts.
i used a spare red starlight comm for the bands as i just cut out the middles for the inserts.
i had 2 different greens, i ended up using the one on the top right, it matched the green on starlights & a stunt comm that another RBer has that was used on the show.
also you can see my hope watch with green starlight bands on it, thats pretty much the norm with people makin quick easy comms.
well if they can manage to find a hope watch as they are very rare.
starlight.studios recently revised their replicas so the face is to me now show accurate.
only difference is the colors are supposed to raise out just like rest of the band, starlights don't, but they are dialed nonetheless.
393672107.jpg

now kind of an angled pic to see how deep i cut some horizontal slits for the inserts to fill in also.
393672108.jpg

now a full view of both bands upside down to see what i've done.
393672109.jpg

now a real up close view of the work i've done to cut out the middles & notch out new insert groves.
you'll see why i did that when the inserts are in.
393672110.jpg

heres a better & closer look at everything.
393672111.jpg

now here i had to grind down the 2 middle bars so my NEW idea would work & everything would be flush. (i'll touch back on that later)
393672113.jpg

now your probably wondering flush? flush for what? well heres why.
so the power rangers logo screen from the hope watch can go on the bands as a cover so i don't have sculpey all over my wrist.
not to mention feel the notches i've cut despite smoothing the edges.
393672112.jpg

heres another view of the way it should look.
those screens fit beautifully between the top 2 bars & where i notched out for the inserts.
393672115.jpg

now i finally have the inserts in the bands all ready to rock & put the covers on.!!.
393672114.jpg

now for a moment of glory, heres the back of the bands with inserts in & 1 screen on.!!.
i cut those extra groves in so the inserts wouldn't just fall right out the other side.
i wanted it close to the top of the inserts obviously so the tips don't get caught & rip out somehow.(if thats possible)
then the middle so nothin bulges out the middle obviously.
i know its self explanitory but you know figured i'd explain.
393672116.jpg

and heres another view of glory haha.
393672118.jpg

now both inserts & screens are in and ready to rock.!!.
393672120.jpg

now another top view of the bands ready to be put on the hope face.
393672119.jpg

now for the somewhat finished product in many different views.
i only say somewhat finished because the button would be a good finishing touch to this, although it can be S.A. without it also, what do you guys think button or no button?
393672122.jpg

393672121.jpg

393672124.jpg

393672123.jpg

393672125.jpg

393672126.jpg

different angles because of light.
393672127.jpg

393672128.jpg

both bands upside down so you can see that everything is flush.
393672129.jpg

393672130.jpg

then 2 upclose wearing the finished product in all its glory.
393672131.jpg

393672106.jpg

no here is reference pics from the show.
393699930.jpg

393699929.jpg

now as far as my new idea i was planning on possibly screwing the screens into the band but after just eyeing it up that would not work for as you can see the screws would be in the inserts.
not to mention the screens would not stay bent without something holding them.
well as i was putting the screen against one of the bands it got stuck in the notches & bam new idea, have the notches hold it in place & it worked.
BUT the 2 middle bars would make the screen bulge out so if i grinded those down the screen would sit between the 2 outer bars making everything flush.

i'm pretty happy with my finished product, hope you guys like it as well.
i wasn't quite sure what else to use for the inserts, i couldn't find much at michael's other than what i used.
i figured scupley would be alright since its kind of hard but once you start handling it, it softens up but it does the job.
i'll probably try baking it to see how that works for if it shrinks or what.
anyway let me know what you guys think.

i love the power rangers...well the old ones..I always hated the new teams...i stop watching after all the originals were gone..

great communicator....looks great

Wuyaaaaaaaaa !!! :ninja

WE NEED DINOZORD POWER NOW !

Great looking replica, apparently a lot of work has gone into this, showing the dedication of a true fan :thumbsup

i love the power rangers...well the old ones..I always hated the new teams...i stop watching after all the originals were gone..

great communicator....looks great

agreed, i stopped watching after power rangers in space because after they shattered zordon's tube ALL the evil in the universe was destroyed.
then came lost galaxy & i was like wtf.
then i found out that jason david frank did an episode called forever red where all the red rangers from mmpr-wild force teamed up to battle & save the world.
he also went back to do power rangers dino thunder, so i watched that just because of him thus getting me back into PR.

& Thanks man i appreciate it.!!.

Wuyaaaaaaaaa !!! :ninja

WE NEED DINOZORD POWER NOW !

Great looking replica, apparently a lot of work has gone into this, showing the dedication of a true fan :thumbsup

Thank You i appreciate it a lot, yes i put a lot of time into this.
i've had the idea for like 6 months but never had time to work on it with as simple as it is.
its good though that it took that long to do because i was able to gather more & more pics & get more ideas on how to do this.
i'm pretty stoked to have made somethin thats screen accurate.!!.

sadly i do not man, i've thought about it but not very much to give me motivation to.
try rangerboard.com man if your not already one there in the marketplace.
there is a couple sellers there with helmets.

then i found out that jason david frank did an episode called forever red where all the red rangers from mmpr-wild force teamed up to battle & save the world..

I heard about that episode...i think Rocky was the only one that wasnt involved..They contacted him about it and said he was interested. Supposedly, he was in the process of moving and forgot to give them his new contact info, so they couldnt find him in time...

unfortunate..

I heard about that episode...i think Rocky was the only one that wasnt involved..They contacted him about it and said he was interested. Supposedly, he was in the process of moving and forgot to give them his new contact info, so they couldnt find him in time...

unfortunate..

yes sir if i'm not mistaken you are correct entirely.
i also believe they were not sure if austin st. john would come back since i guess him & jdf had some bad blood between them.
but since he did come back its been speculated what would've happened if steve cardenas came back because ast is the original red ranger while steve was only the red ranger also for mmpr so it would only be able to work for one of them.
yeah it sucks steve couldn't make it, but good that austin came back.

whats the model of the Hope watch? not a fan of power rangers, but i like the look of the watch, looks very futuristic

Yep, I get compliments on mines, all of the time. Of course, I just say "thanks," and NEVER comment it is from Power Rangers, much less it is screen-used (mine's is). Still, it is a lot of fun when my cellphone communicator ringtone goes off and I reach for my wrist, in public :lol

Just search for Power Rangers Hope industries watch. They don't come by very often, but they do come by.

Yep, I get compliments on mines, all of the time. Of course, I just say "thanks," and NEVER comment it is from Power Rangers, much less it is screen-used (mine's is). Still, it is a lot of fun when my cellphone communicator ringtone goes off and I reach for my wrist, in public :lol

Just search for Power Rangers Hope industries watch. They don't come by very often, but they do come by.

had a quick hunt but no luck, there's a few isnt there? Boy London, Hope and another? can you point me in the direction of getting one? pm me!

had a quick hunt but no luck, there's a few isnt there? Boy London, Hope and another? can you point me in the direction of getting one? pm me!

I'm not familiar with Boy london, but there are many companies that made knock-off of the cuff parts, so those are the easiest to find. Compared to my screen-used, the differences are very minimum, but there are differences, non-the less.

Your best bet is to buy the prop replicas on ebay. They are metal, colored, spanking shiny and you get it all in one stop. Even the actors are buying theirs from there. Starlight, that is.

I'm not familiar with Boy london, but there are many companies that made knock-off of the cuff parts, so those are the easiest to find. Compared to my screen-used, the differences are very minimum, but there are differences, non-the less.

Your best bet is to buy the prop replicas on ebay. They are metal, colored, spanking shiny and you get it all in one stop. Even the actors are buying theirs from there. Starlight, that is.

thanks for the reply, i'm not interested in a "communicator" replica though, i just like the look of the watch itself. is there anywhere i can get the watch (hope watch?) itself from? (with the bars over the face etc). i've found the dragon watches on ebay that have similar straps, but the face is competely different on those. do you know the model of the Hope watch that was used?

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, i'm not interested in a "communicator" replica though, i just like the look of the watch itself. is there anywhere i can get the watch (hope watch?) itself from? (with the bars over the face etc). i've found the dragon watches on ebay that have similar straps, but the face is competely different on those. do you know the model of the Hope watch that was used?

Oh, in that case, you need to fish for a Hope watch at Ebay. Be aware the Hope Watch WILL have a Power Ranger cartoon inside the watch part. Aside from Hope industries, I wouldn't know any other company making the same face-plate.

There used to be a Hollywood prop-maker who made a run of the metal face plate, 5 years ago. Don't think he is a member, here, and I believe he has left Rangerboard, along with other people.

For a fun read on the communicator prop, read my Ranger prop-blog: JC @ HenshinXCore (Henshin Vault) | MySpace

whats the model of the Hope watch? not a fan of power rangers, but i like the look of the watch, looks very futuristic

well i just looked at the bottom of my hope watch, & there is no model number so the best advice i could give has already been given by guntah.
you just have to keep your eyes open on ebay, they were poppin up left & right a few months ago now they've gone into hiding.
you are correct the originals used in the show were from what i understand were boy london watches, its been speculated that hope watches were used later down the road.
idk of any other watch used unless your thinkin of the bands.

JC i am also incredibly jealous of that fact as well man haha.
also agreed about the ringtone goin of on my phone, its incredibly loud haha.

well i just looked at the bottom of my hope watch, & there is no model number so the best advice i could give has already been given by guntah.
you just have to keep your eyes open on ebay, they were poppin up left & right a few months ago now they've gone into hiding.
you are correct the originals used in the show were from what i understand were boy london watches, its been speculated that hope watches were used later down the road.
idk of any other watch used unless your thinkin of the bands.

so in the show they originally used Boy London watches, then later on used the replica watches made by Hope on the show? have you got any pics of an untouched hope watch?

so in the show they originally used Boy London watches, then later on used the replica watches made by Hope on the show? have you got any pics of an untouched hope watch?

yes from i understand & whats been discussed on rangerboard the boy london watch face was used with a different watches bands.
its not confirmed but speculated that the hope watch was used later down the road to make extras.
i'll try to get some pics for you man because i have another watch i haven't touched yet.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back