Best Star Trek TV Series? Your opinion!

Hitogiri

Sr Member
Personally I have to go with DS9. I prefer the shades of gray you see there. Not as black and white, good and evil like others. More moral dilemmas and the characters were alot more thought out I think. Plus as story goes, the Dominion War etc. was among the best story arcs I've seen in Star Trek.

What do you guys think? Which one do you like best and why?

Thats a toughie! My answer has to be...whichever one I'm watching!! I have asked myself this during one of my Trek-every-series'-seasons-marathons, and my opinion changes each time I move on! :lol

I think they were all good for different reasons, which makes a question like this difficult. TNG has a special place in my heart, because its my first exposure to Trek TV, but I love them all.

I know it was not terribly well received but out of all the series, I enjoyed Voyager the most.

Out of all of them, only Enterprise is the one I will actively change the channel if its on!

Deep Space Nine. Not only did it have the best Captain in the entire series...

It also had an overall arc that was quite engaging. The Dominion? Hmph. Wonder who the next villain will be next week.

Did I mention it had the BEST CAPTAIN?

Also having the women not only wear attire that goes along with the male crew (screw you Trek09 and your short skirts), but they actually do something that's important?! (screw you Trek09 in your delusional thinking that Uhura is an integral character)

And of course, characters I can like. Sure, TOS has a lot of great things going for it and I love a lot of the episodes, but there are a lot of things I don't like about it either that UNFORTUNATELY CARRIED OVER TO TREK09! TNG was great when it was about doing great Star Trek things like "Who Watches the Watchers" and "The Inner Light" and "The Best of Both Worlds" was a welcoming change of structure. But Deep Space Nine had something that neither series, including Voyager had. Garek. What a character.

The Original Series was my first exposure to Star Trek and sci-fi in general on television and is still my favourite. TOS really had the spirit of adventure in so many of their episodes, which included encountering the bizarre.

After TOS, TNG eventually really grew on me though it was a departure from the classic. The whole civilization living in an advanced and civilized manner with access to such fascinating technology at their finger tips, really was a great take on looking things optimistically at the future of mankind.

TOS

It is the purest form of Trek and the heart and soul of the show was the spirit of exploration, even the show itself was pioneering television, boldy going in it's own right and taking risks. Risks like multi cultural crew, first black and white kiss on TV, most importantly taking TV Sci Fi out of kid stuff with intelligent scripts and concepts. Risking being too "cerebral". Risks that payed off greatly later.

I'd say my most to least favorite is in the order of:

TOS
TNG, the later seasons
Enterprise
DS9
Voyager, never could really get into this one. I remember only 1-2 episodes I liked.
TAS, really only seen 1 episode so no way to correctly judge.

TNG: This I think is where Star Trek reached its epitome, particularly in seasons 3-5. The characters finally started to gel, and the "embarassing" dialogue and situations of the first two seasons finally went away. Some of the stories are highly science fictional and really fun to watch.

TOS: Where it all started. Different people see different things in this show, and my favorite stories are mostly in the first half of the first season. This is pure Golden Age science fiction, folks (with a few concessions for network television). As soon as the too-cozy "Kirk-Spock-McCoy" trinity starts dominating every episode though, the show starts its long decline.

Animated series: Yeah, actually. Some of the stories are quite good. Others suck. Same odds as with TOS. :lol

Then... well I guess I have to go with "Star Trek Enterprise" believe it or not. I don't hate it as much as DS9 and Voyager anyway. :D

And at least in the beginning, you can tell "Enterprise" is at least trying. It's still a pool of unrealized potential and missed opportunities though. But please spare me the later seasons of "we are at war!" Archer though. :rolleyes

Karl

TOS. I grew up watching them and all these years later still watch them. I keep several episodes at any given time on my phone in case I get stuck somewhere. Is it flawed, yes. But with a few exceptions eminently watchable.

TAS. Okay, liked it. It was new Trek stories. And they didn't write down to kids most of the time.

TNG got really good once they found their footing. in many ways superior to TOS, I loved it but I don't find myself watching them over and over. There are quite a few excellent episodes I enjoy watching again.

DS9 bored me for the first couple of seasons. Way too much Bajoran religion for my taste. I found myself fast forwarding a lot. Then it found itself, and the characters became very interesting. I have the entire series on DVD, but I have only watched a few again.

Voyager was one the first one my wife liked. I enjoyed it more than most people did. I actually find I can rewatch some of these episodes pretty easily.

Enterprise didn't hook me at all. I tried hard, but I gave up after two seasons.

I absolutely love TNG because that I what I grew up with but I also really enjoy TOS. DS9 has some incredible story arcs. Voyager was awesome too. The only one I didn't like was Enterprise. Each series has something different that makes it fun and exciting so I can't pick just one.

I will say that following @BrentSpiner on Twitter is hilarious! :)

TOS without it there would not have been the others.

TNG Nice riff off the old classic and bought some new things to the table.

DS-9 While not Gene's version of Trek I loved it and as T.V. guide said it is the Rodney Dangerfield of Trek, it gets no respect. :lol

Tough to answer. I always like to rank TOS separately, the gap between it and the rest, plus the fact that it spawned all the movies, make it special.

As for the modern ones, I'd probably rank them: TNG, DS9, VOY/Enterprise.

TNG was what made me a Trek fan... sure I'd watched the re-runs of TOS, but this was all new! I still remember the first time I knew I had to be home in time to see Trek. It was after 'The Best Of Both Worlds' and I had to see what came next.

DS9 had variety, and it's own style which I loved. The mix of cultures, Bajorans, the Prophets, the Wormhole... Plus I don't think the Experience could have happened without Quark's Bar and the Promenade!

Voyager and Enterprise had good and bad, but Voyager was let down by definite-end syndrome, i.e. the ship gets home - end of show. So anytime there's a chance they can, you know they won't. That gets old fast. Plus it had to work double hard to do stories that didn't feel like TNG.
Enterprise was let down by the folks in charge. The direction they forced the show just didn't work for he premise of pre-TOS. Personally I always felt there were too many new species, not enough use of TOS species, and ones that were only met in TNG or later had no business being seen that early.. Oh and the temporal cold war was a stupid idea. (but not as stupid as Nero and Red Matter!)

DS9 hands down. I just recently re-watched seasons 4-7 and it really was great TV. All the characters were so well written and each had their own narratives and story arcs through the show's run.

If you want a great Trek theme tune, might I recommend the fan-series Intrepid? I love their theme tune!
(and no, I don't want to get into a discussion about the quality of fan-films, or the fact that the actors in this one are mainly Scottish)

Best? DS9, as it brought some much needed drama and 'oomph' to the franchise. Talk about repercussions!

Favorite? TNG, specifically because it was my gateway into all things Trek. Ah, the good ol' days...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back