Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger Finished! pg 8

Re: Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger

I would just weather it down and go with "I'm the Ranger who didn't get shot". :)

yeah, i was worried that store bought ones would not be exact enougth to the source material,
i'll have to find some good thick weave canvas or duck cloth to build it from.

oh and it will have bullet holes :D

I would just weather it down and go with "I'm the Ranger who didn't get shot". :)

That's exactly what I was thinking right when I posted it. :lol Or in my game it would have a hole in the mask where I sniped him so I could get the armor...

just a quick update,
not had as much time as i had hoped to work on the mask and costume over the 4 day thanksgiving weekend :/
shopping, house cleaning, assist with cooking followed by more house cleaning and a blocked kitchen sink the whole holiday have left me with only a few hours to work on the build over the weekend, but using sheet styrene to build a pep file have been going well.
zip kicker + superglue makes for some interesting results

PA010627-1.jpg

it's taking time, but this is plastic this time around and will be backed with fiberglass afterwards.
much stronger than cardboard and lighter than bondo.

Wow Kommissar! This build is looking great!

The plastic looks like it will work perfectly.

Can you tell me where you got the sheet styrene?

I am looking forward to seeing this project finished!

(btw: This is Hugh from the 405th)

Hey Hugh,
sheet styrene is also known as plasticard in some moddeling circles.
i got a sheet the size of a queen bed for about $30 at a local plastics factory and i've yet to run out.. i'm getting close though, it's only taken me about 2 years!

What is your preferred adhesive when working with it? I have some but have yet to experience.

Hey Hugh,
sheet styrene is also known as plasticard in some moddeling circles.
i got a sheet the size of a queen bed for about $30 at a local plastics factory and i've yet to run out.. i'm getting close though, it's only taken me about 2 years!

What is your preferred adhesive when working with it? I have some but have yet to experience.

i'm partial to superglue
though i've been using superglue + a zip kicker for the plastic mask, and it's somewhat brittle when kicked by the chemical.
it's why i plan a thin layer of fiberglass under.

Lacquer thinner will melt styrene together. Use a fine brush or a syringe. Dries fast too.

Lacquer thinner will melt styrene together. Use a fine brush or a syringe. Dries fast too.

never been a fan of chemicals that melt two plastics together, you can remove most glues if you put too much on, eventually (water, cotton swabs, goo be gone, or just chipping the dried stuff off). but something that melts? a mistake can be unrepairable.

nothing amazing, quite boring infact.
i've built (but not secured) the nose
as well as working on the eye frames.
things would be quicker if it weren't so cold, otherwise i'd be using my bandsaw to do the cutting, and cut several hours off each nights work.

PA020628.jpg

PA020629.jpg

edit: i think the colds done something to my superglue, i left it outside and now its much slower to bond and thicker, almost syrupy, any thoughts?.

nothing amazing, quite boring infact.
i've built (but not secured) the nose
as well as working on the eye frames.
things would be quicker if it weren't so cold, otherwise i'd be using my bandsaw to do the cutting, and cut several hours off each nights work.

edit: i think the colds done something to my superglue, i left it outside and now its much slower to bond and thicker, almost syrupy, any thoughts?.

You might try some tin snips or heavy-duty shears, I'm not sure how thick your styrene is, but I've cut 1/16" aluminum at a comfortable pace with compound-action tin snips before.

The build looks good. I'm not a fan of the design, but it looks pretty accurate so far.

oh for the styrene, i use my blades, little issue there, it's the sintra i'm using for the lens frames thats killing me

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back