Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger Finished! pg 8

a58f517696b5bd751c037e07f9287dfc.jpg
That one right there is my favorite, amazing work man (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Hey, first wanted to tell you that it looks amazing! I wanted to go as a NCR Veteran Ranger to SDCC this year but didn't have a good idea of how to pull it off till know. This will also be my first time using pepakura, resin, and all the fun stuff lol so I just had a couple questions. Do you think bondo would have worked just as good for inside the mask instead of fiberglass, what did you end up using for the lenses so they weren't clear red because they look amazing in the final pics, when you said you cut the shapes into foam for the chest piece and then glued them down later were the cut pieces and solid black piece you glued them onto both anti fatigue floor mating, what was the "heat" you used to shape the foam pieces, if this is my first time doing something like this would making it out of plastic like you did be easier than the whole paper pepakura stuff? Whew! Sorry for all the questions but gonna try to make this look as good as yours as I can lol and have to say again how awesome it looked.

Last edited:
Wow, paragraphing is your friend dude ;)

Hey, first wanted to tell you that it looks amazing! I wanted to go as a NCR Veteran Ranger to SDCC this year but didn't have a good idea of how to pull it off till know.
Good! keep an eye out for me, we can get some pics, as i'll be taking this costume with me this year.

This will also be my first time using pepakura, resin, and all the fun stuff lol so I just had a couple questions.
read up alot on it, particularly at the 405th.com, they have alot of good safety rules when using all these chemicals that you will regret not following.

Do you think bondo would have worked just as good for inside the mask instead of fiberglass,
bondo is heavy, fiberglass is much lighter.
bondo is slightly safer to use however, you will still need gloves and a mask when using it though.
a thin layer of bondo would help your papercraft resin build if you don't want to use fiberglass.
the reason i picked fiberglass is because i wanted it extra tough.

make sure to use hugh holdmans pep file, it's personally in my opinion, the best, it's got a very close shape to it, while most other builds have more of a wolf snout that i don't think looks right.

what did you end up using for the lenses so they weren't clear red because they look amazing in the final pics,
my lenses are just clear red,
2820606.jpg

i will be changing that later however, ideally i want red mirrored lenses that are one way.
i used a stocking over my face while wearing the mask for most of the photos, to obscure my eyes.

when you said you cut the shapes into foam for the chest piece and then glued them down later were the cut pieces and solid black piece you glued them onto both anti fatigue floor mating,
use a thinner foam if you can find it for the black underneath, two layers of half inch floor mat will be way too bulky.

what was the "heat" you used to shape the foam pieces,

heat gun, like a turbo powered hair dryer that can melt your flesh if your not careful.
Be very careful if your using one.

if this is my first time doing something like this would making it out of plastic like you did be easier than the whole paper pepakura stuff?
i don't like to come off as an arrogant *****, because i hate it when people who make cool things turn out to be not cool themselves, but my first pepakura was making this mask out of cardstock, i then used plastic to make it a second time.
i've built costumes before though, and i'd like to think i'm pretty decent, if this is your first time, i would encourage you to stick with just the card/paper of pepakura, rather than using plastic like i did.

Whew! Sorry for all the questions but gonna try to make this look as good as yours as I can lol and have to say again how awesome it looked.

well thank you, i'm glad i can inspire you to do this yourself, good luck!
but seriously, split your posts up into paragraphs, it's easier to read :)

well thank you, i'm glad i can inspire you to do this yourself, good luck!
but seriously, split your posts up into paragraphs, it's easier to read :)

Haha sorry, I got a little eager mcbeaver. Thanks for all the help and I'll let you know how my, most likely crooked and lumpy, version goes lol.

i love it man! i think i have the same pep file that you used to make it out of.... this has inspired me to now start on mine again..... THANK YOU. and btw, that looks like craft foam you used for the chest piece, is it?

This is one hellavu costume, man! My PS skills are limited so I hope you don't mind me doing this:

That's cool!
feel free to look through some of the galleries i posted and edit a few more if your upto it, you done a great job! :)
the non photobucket links have better resolution too. (and edit out the orange zip tie? haha, man i hate that thing, but it was for safety)

I am SUPER impressed!
i cant wait to see more out of ya!:D

-Jacoby

thanks! i appreciate it!

i love it man! i think i have the same pep file that you used to make it out of.... this has inspired me to now start on mine again..... THANK YOU. and btw, that looks like craft foam you used for the chest piece, is it?

awesome! show your progress when it's coming along, i'd love to see it.
and yeah, the foam i used was EVA floor mat and black craftfoam.

Last edited:
That's cool!
feel free to look through some of the galleries i posted and edit a few more if your upto it, you done a great job! :)
the non photobucket links have better resolution too.

thanks! i appreciate it!

awesome! show your progress when it's coming along, i'd love to see it.
and yeah, the foam i used was EVA floor mat and black craftfoam.
sweet! im actualy gonna take some pics right now!

I would love to shoot a short film with someone in this costume. I don't know how you close you live to California or Nevada, but I'm a movie maker myself and if you ever made it out there I'd love to shoot something. My youtube profile is here, with the stuff I've made: YouTube - Fathom216's Channel

That sir i have to say looks awesome lol how much does it way out of the materials you used? i was thinkin of making one out of metal something light like aluminium or something ha.

fathom, sure, i live in san diego, send me a pm.

Roy,all i could tell you is that i know i wouldn't want to wear a metal one! heh

The Helmet Liner you used was it from this site? Helmet Liner, G.I., Used [110501] - $9.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products Cause it is the only one i can find matching your pictures and It suck cause the site make you buy 15 dollar worth of good before you can checkout.

don't think so, but it looks close. perhaps thats a liner for a diff helmet. looks like it would work fine though.

don't think so, but it looks close. perhaps thats a liner for a diff helmet. looks like it would work fine though.
Thanks, man I originally found you on cosplay.com I was worried how I could replicate your costume by eye but this is awesome. Another question, How did you use your pepakura size just the auto or manual put in your size? (I'm familiar with the Pepakura program)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back